if I am only to own one Marseille...

jackdaw*

I would vote for the Hadar. Failing that, the Grimaud. I've never had or seen firsthand the CBD so I can't comment.

victoria.star

Hadar

The Hadar coloring does something beautiful to my eye.
I don't know how you could have only one, though...
TdMs have been, no question, the most addictive decks for me.

Aeric

I'd like to pick up a Marseille as well, because I don't own any decks before the 1800s, and the older Visconti's aren't too appealing.

I don't have many parameters except that I'd like a "clean" deck without artificial or reproduced aging, and possibly have the face on the Devil's stomach. I suppose the second point limits me to the Dodal, Camoin-Jodorsky, or Noblet?

Besides them, the CBD is very attractive too, but I seem to prefer the primary-coloured Marteau-Grimaud to it. Alida Store has the "Ancien Tarot de Marseille" for sale with both French and English titles on the cards. Is this the only current Marteau-Grimaud?

Finally, was there ever a deck made in Italy in the style of these French Marseille woodcuts, but with Italian titles?

tarotcognito

The Hadar coloring does something beautiful to my eye.
I don't know how you could have only one, though...
TdMs have been, no question, the most addictive decks for me.
Completely agree about the Hadar. Love mine. :thumbsup:

I'm eyeballing the Japanese ISIS TdM as my next Marseille investment.

shaveling

Besides them, the CBD is very attractive too, but I seem to prefer the primary-coloured Marteau-Grimaud to it. Alida Store has the "Ancien Tarot de Marseille" for sale with both French and English titles on the cards. Is this the only current Marteau-Grimaud?

Tarot Garden usually has the French-only, but they're currently "SOLD OUT / Reorder pending." TaroBear's Lair has it, judging by the picture. There it's not listed with the Tarot decks, but as "French Cards with Italilan Suits." If you don't want to cross the border, Montreal's Le Valet d'Coeur's website has both the bilingual and the French-only listed. Click on Games Catalogue; Cards & Tarots; Divinatory Tarots & Cards, and scroll down.

Richard

......Besides them, the CBD is very attractive too, but I seem to prefer the primary-coloured Marteau-Grimaud to it. Alida Store has the "Ancien Tarot de Marseille" for sale with both French and English titles on the cards. Is this the only current Marteau-Grimaud?......
I got a French mini Grimaud from Tarobear's Lair. This deck is probably in French, but it would be best to email and ask to make sure. (The bilingual edition is fun, however. For example, REYNE DE DENIERS is translated as THE QUEEN OF MONEY.)

Aeric

Thank you so much!

After staring at the screen until my eyes bleed, I've narrowed it down to three:

Grimaud: I just adore the colour combinations and how the green is minimized against the primary colours.

Dodal: There's more green here, but I like that all the colours are darker. Despite the different choices of some words and the incomplete line art, it's amazing.

Camoin-Jodorowsky: I find the dark blue and turquoise a bit less conducive together with the other colours, but the art is very attractive. I like the two small angels below the 2 of Cups, where the other two don't have them.

Right now, I'm leaning heavily on Dodal. It speaks to me very strongly, with Grimaud second and Camoin third. CBD is a lovely deck but its hues are too bright for my preferences.

I'll think about it for a while as I want to try (hard) to make this the last deck I ever purchase (barring a Pam-A mud/rose back Waite!) and work intensely with my collection.

victoria.star

Completely agree about the Hadar. Love mine. :thumbsup:

I'm eyeballing the Japanese ISIS TdM as my next Marseille investment.

We must have like tastes, Lokasenna! I had never seen the ISIS (took a tarot break for a few years) and when I read your post and viewed the deck--I ordered it, no questions.

I know I am a newbie to TdM. I know my choices in TdMs probably aren't knowledgeable or proper...I just go with my eye and my heart! ;)

shaveling

Camoin-Jodorowsky: I find the dark blue and turquoise a bit less conducive together with the other colours, but the art is very attractive. I like the two small angels below the 2 of Cups, where the other two don't have them.
I don't know what pictures you might be looking at, but with the actual cards, I haven't found a way to pretend that the angel on the viewer's left isn't wearing sunglasses. I'm used to that, and even look forward to it. But some folks might find it too, maybe "whimsical" is the word. Perhaps the creators didn't intend that all. But having seen the sunglasses once, I can't make them go away.

ETA
Aha! I looked it up in Jodorowsky's book. He says, "The one on the left, who is blind, is suggesting to us that the choice of the beloved object is not made by the intellect but by reasons of the heart."