tarot readings in public places

EnriqueEnriquez

Atcandela,

The best ritual you can do is to ask permission to the manager of the place to want to do your readings, IF you plan to offer them to strangers. That way you will be invoking the forces of “courtesy”. They work true miracles.

In order to get comfortable at reading in public, sit with one friend at a time, and read the cards for them. Make it simple, no cloth, no fancy spreads, just a small setup that you feel intimate enough, and go from there.

Best,

EE

mac22

tarotbear said:
I actually conducted extensions of my tarot classes in the coffee shop at Barnes & Noble. We tried to use Borders but the atmosphere was too carnival-like.

Word to the wise - I've posted this before - not all public places are 'public.' Many chain restaurants are franchaises and privately owned, so if today you go into Denny's and get told to 'put that evil thing away,' just put it away, because the Bill of Rights DOES NOT protect you. The owner CAN tell you exactly what you can or cannot do in his privately-owned chain restaurant, so don't start screaming about 'Freedom of this, that, or the other thing,' because they can have you removed. {And causing a scene will just 'prove' to them that you are a wierdo.}

Well said. I've read in public lots of places for 30+ yrs. I always buy something. If asked to move on [politely or impolitely] I do. Because I "behave" I'm allowed many places.:D

Mac22

The Tarot Reader

Reading in Public Places

I'm very late in seeing the OP's question and she/he may no longer have these same living arrangements. But if one can't read in one's own home with a roommate present, why would it be any easier to read in public with lots of people present?

witchofglass

I'm very late in seeing the OP's question and she/he may no longer have these same living arrangements. But if one can't read in one's own home with a roommate present, why would it be any easier to read in public with lots of people present?

Sometimes it's a specific person's energy that causes problems. Sometimes it's that the energy of a group of people who aren't paying attention to you is less of a bother than one person who is (that "lost in a crowd" feeling). Sometimes it's the the fact that your cat always jumps onto the cards when you're trying to read (not that I know anyone like that. nope).

bonebeach

All this talk about energy and protections and here I am, habitually reading tarot in a graveyard. ;)

I read cards at Starbucks all the time, too, though I always order something first. And cafes in general, again, after ordering something, and at the park, and the other park, and the dog park, and any park, really...and that's just while I'm wandering around by myself. If I'm reading for/with a friend, anywhere public goes. I've never had anyone kick me out or ask me to put my cards away, but I don't take up space in a business unless I'm buying something, and I do mostly small spreads (3-4 cards) so it's fairly unobtrusive.

About the OP having a problem reading at home with the roomate, I agree absolutely with witchofglass. Sometimes a particular person makes you uncomfortable, but that doesn't mean people on the whole make you feel uncomfortable.

Lokismile

I read in public places all the time! I never go anywhere without a deck. When I'm bored or waiting for something I pull it out.

I've done readings at Borders, Tim Horton's, Wendy's, lots of other fast food restaurants, basically anywhere. And usually, as soon as I start working the cards, someone comes up wanting a reading :) Great way to build business!

Likewise Gwynne, I'll even add entertainment venues to the list. I've read at gothic / industrial / fetish clubs, art receptions, etc.
Also, during the Halloween season, local haunts are a great draw.

NatKat

I read in public places all the time! I never go anywhere without a deck. <<Snip snip>>

I've done readings at Borders, Tim Horton's, Wendy's, lots of other fast food restaurants, basically anywhere. And usually, as soon as I start working the cards, someone comes up wanting a reading :) Great way to build business!
<<snip snip>>
!

I am curious about this. When I read professionally I read in my own home or office. I never read in a public place. Now many years later ... I am considering return to reading professionally ... but I have no idea how to do so. This very idea occurred to me ... but so far I have been too chicken to try it.

Anyone else have the experience of reading in public to generate business? Did it work at all?

nisaba

I am curious about this. When I read professionally I read in my own home or office. I never read in a public place. Now many years later ... I am considering return to reading professionally ... but I have no idea how to do so. This very idea occurred to me ... but so far I have been too chicken to try it.

Ask spiritual shops if they'll give you a shift as an in-house reader. They will set the price and the percentage they get to keep, as well as collecting the money, so you don't have to be awkward with people.

Ask friendly-seeming cafes if they'd like to have an in-house Tarot reader as a draw on their quietest days. Find out what the average price is in your area: tell them that you'll charge that, and give them 25% (which is entirely reasonable for tying up a table that's making no money on food).

Good luck.

Grizabella

I don't do any of the smudging or crystals or anything so that's not a problem. I just carry a deck or two with me if I go somewhere and if I were asked, I could do a reading most anywhere. You do need to get permission, though, if you're in a place that might prefer you to not use Tarot in or on their premises.

NatKat

Ask spiritual shops if they'll give you a shift as an in-house reader. They will set the price and the percentage they get to keep, as well as collecting the money, so you don't have to be awkward with people.

Ask friendly-seeming cafes if they'd like to have an in-house Tarot reader as a draw on their quietest days. Find out what the average price is in your area: tell them that you'll charge that, and give them 25% (which is entirely reasonable for tying up a table that's making no money on food).

Good luck.

Thanks. The local shops have plenty of readers ... I suppose I can ask to be put-on if someone quits or dies haha. But I like your other advice. Only now I need the guts to actually do it!