Jumping Cards

Kira

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right thread for this topic, but I'm dying to hear some opinions on this.

I was shuffling last night for my daily reading (I decided to pull a card for the next day since I *never* have enough time in the morning to pull out my deck) and one of the cards jumped out while I was shuffling. I ended up using that one as my daily card - still not sure how it applied to my day today - but I thought, maybe it's trying to tell me something.

So I was thinking... do you use the cards that jump out while you're doing a reading, whether it's a daily self-reading or one for a querent? Do you put them aside and use them afterwards? Or, if it happens quite often, is it something to ignore and figure I need practice shuffling?

Ever since I started learning, I've read that "jumping" cards are ones to pay attention to. I was just wondering what others thought.

PS: The card that jumped out last night was the 4 of Pentacles... I'm still trying to figure out why.

MareSaturni

It depends. If one or two cards jump from the deck suddenly, either when i'm shuffling or choosing the cards, i pay attention to them. If ten fall out, then it's because i'm being messy that day :p

I think if that card jumped out, maybe it wasn't your daily card, but another thing your should keep in mind or be aware of. Just my 2 cents.

:TPW Yuko

Driley

I'm a firm believer in the "The Magick is in the Magus" approach. So, I'm going to say that it is entirely up to you how you approach this issue. If it were me, I'd probably sigh, pick up the card, and wonder what I was trying to tell myself that I was too stubbon to hear without getting tricked into paying attention. But that's me...

Tarot, for me, isn't about the cards that happen to show up. Any card, any day speaks to me. Tarot is about having a filter that forces you to see new patterns and themes in your life. It's like having a friend peek over your shoulder and point out what you could have seen but missed.

So, do what feels right. Consult your intuition on such matters and be confident that you are right.

Alice23

Hi Kira, I think Driley and miss yuko have given some really good advice here -trust your instincts and go with what feels right for you....I personally do take notice of these cards, like miss yuko says - if 10 or 11 fall out then I agree - its probably just me shuffling them messily...2 or 3, maybe even 4, and I pay attention to these.....often for me these cards have been pretty accurate ...it seems to happen to me practically everytime I shuffle the deck.....so I do take notice of these. Even if you just write them down, and come back to them later on...it may be that you understand them better in relation to things happening etc in your life after a little while..Again though, do what feels right for you!!Hope this has helped a little :)

Alice x

Ravenswing

pop goes the card...

Kira--

I always take note of any card that pops out. And there IS a difference between popping cards and sloppy shuffling-- you should feel the difference.

I can usually feel whether it's revelent to whatever I'm focused on, or is a heads-up to something different. Whatever the case, there's always some sort of message.

fly well
Raven

Rachey

Kira

I always pay attention to flying cards. It happens quite often one will fly out whether I'm reading for myself or for someone else I usually make a note of it put it back in the pack and carry on with my read.

Quite often the same will come out in the spread somewhere or it will reinforce the main theme of the reading.

Arcana

Kira, thank you for bringing this up! This jumping card-thing happens a lot to me. I agree with what has been said earlier, ten cards is probably just messy shuffling, but one or a few cards do have meaning. In my case this jumping card is usually surprisingly accurate.

Psychebleu

When this happened to me the first few times, I didn't even bother to look and just put it back in the deck. It does happen that a card will sometimes jump out, and flip face up. For a while now I have taken note and added it's meaning to a reading - with excellent results. Like Yuko said, if several cards fall out - I figure I've just been sloppy. I also don't pay much attention to a card that falls out, face down.

Ace

One card I pay attention to, more probably not. I was just starting out and did a reading in front a mentor (at the time). I kept dropping cards, I asked her "what does that mean, that I keep losing cards?" she said, "it means you are being clumsy, Barb, relax and stop dropping cards. "
Ace

Kira

Face up or face down?

Psychebleu said:
When this happened to me the first few times, I didn't even bother to look and just put it back in the deck. It does happen that a card will sometimes jump out, and flip face up. For a while now I have taken note and added it's meaning to a reading - with excellent results. Like Yuko said, if several cards fall out - I figure I've just been sloppy. I also don't pay much attention to a card that falls out, face down.

That's a great point... do you think it matters if the card lands face up or face down? I guess, like the idea of cards falling out while shuffling, it's all in the interpretation of the reader, but I'd love to hear what others think.

Great thoughts/suggestions so far!