Has anyone here published their own deck?

PsychicLord

This might sound weird...... but I was woken up a few weeks ago by my 'guide'. Earlier that day I had been discussing North American distribution companies with my partner.

My guide [he/she seems to want this deck to come to life] said not to use a US distributor. The next morning I checked a few facts and figures, and found out that I could offer 20 decks carriage paid to retailers using the funds that would have been eaten up by the distributor.

The internet, of course becomes invaluable for this type of activity.

Does anyone else get 'nagged' by the guide?

DarkWolven1980

Guides

yes mine is quite persistant that i need to finish the deck brewing in my brain am not to publishing point yet though this has been helpful

jcwirish

PsychicLord said:
This might sound weird...... but I was woken up a few weeks ago by my 'guide'. Earlier that day I had been discussing North American distribution companies with my partner.

My guide [he/she seems to want this deck to come to life] said not to use a US distributor. The next morning I checked a few facts and figures, and found out that I could offer 20 decks carriage paid to retailers using the funds that would have been eaten up by the distributor.

The internet, of course becomes invaluable for this type of activity.

Does anyone else get 'nagged' by the guide?

I get nagged constantly to get busy trying to get my book published, but I never get advice as to how to go about this in the best way.

I have a question for those who do publish their own decks. What if I waned to just create one deck for myself. What kind of card stock would you recommend (I would probably do water color pencil). Also, how do you then laminate the cards. Do you buy a spray lacquer type, or do you use an actual laminating machine. Isn't the regular lamination too thick for a card deck?

shadowdancer

I do laminate decks at times, and to be honest it is fine. I printed out the layouts to my own deck (tarot of Innocence, being co-produced with Ravenswing) on 140gsm card and laminated it. It seems no thicker than almost all my other decks.

Not sure if that is any help? I would say the laminate sheet itself can vary but I have found my local supermarket does the best ones :D

Davina

jcwirish

shadowdancer said:
I do laminate decks at times, and to be honest it is fine. I printed out the layouts to my own deck (tarot of Innocence, being co-produced with Ravenswing) on 140gsm card and laminated it. It seems no thicker than almost all my other decks.

Not sure if that is any help? I would say the laminate sheet itself can vary but I have found my local supermarket does the best ones :D

Davina

Oh thanks Shadowdancer! That's great to know. Do you buy your card stock at an art supply store?

nexus7

I print copies of my cards as and whenever I get an order. I had a small run-off of my majors published in 1996, but I would love to be able to get the whole deck and pack profesionally done, aong with the booklet on them

The printer in town tells me such projects are getting easier and more enomical all the time.

One of my of my former students was a professional printer, but he made it claer that his serrvice would not be cheap.

Marcia959

Yes, I did just that recently with my Picture Postcard Tarot and am doing the same with my two new decks, the Art Postcard Tarot and the Victorian Trade Card Tarot.

I learned a lot with the first deck and overall was pleased with the outcome.

linnie

Namaste, Lost Girl... Holly :)

Lost girl said:
Has anyone here published their own deck? By that I mean just paid a printer to print it, and then either marketed it themselves, or hired someone to market it, without giving up the any of their rights to their deck?

Downsides?

Upsides?

I assume the positive side to signing a contract with someone is that they pay you for your work (taking a risk if it doesn't sell) but you basically give up some of your rights because they effectively own the deck afterwards.

Holly

Namaste Holly :)

I took the self-publisher route with my A'HA Oracle deck. It took quite some time, from the initial drawings and scanning etc , guidebook completion, to the final printing (in HK) and my very first real decks arriving. My beautiful daughter is computer savvy, so she helped me a lot scanning my original drawings and sizing them, and also formatting the guidebook and the box cover to templates suitable for the printer's needs.

The time taken for all of the above depends entirely on how people create their decks etc, and how capable they are of doing all the ancilliary work themselves. Mine images came in leaps and bounds and then there was pause for reflection for a while :). The printing process itself actually took a year, partly due to the fact that my queries went by email, but the actual sampling was shipped to/fro from HK to Australia... time-consuming.

What I'd suggest, if you go with a printer that is not local, is to go into a local printing establishment and check out their samples of card thickness, gloss/matt finish, laminated vs press-varnish finish etc. The same applies to book binding style, box finish and etc. All of these are details which take time to decide upon if you wait for samples to be shipped (Doh... that was me!!! :))

The ups and downs... I know of an artist who created some cards for a well-known deck author. The amount she was paid for her work was pitiful, and her artwork was not honoured, ie she draws intuitively, being 'given' symbols, in the same way that I do. Her 'employer' waited until the artwork was complete, and then demanded that some cards be changed due to nudity issues, but such conditions were not mentioned to her in the first instance :(.

For me, the "up" would be that going through a publisher offers access to distributors, and hence, guaranteed outlets. That has been my largest hurdle... as the creator of only one product, and a product which is professional enough to have been offered for sale through 30 outlets here in Australia, distributors won't accept my product, even though they have declared it to be of a beautiful and professional finish, with amazing artwork etc, because it is not worth their time dealing with an account for just one product type every month...

So... getting your product out into the world is up to you, if you self publish, but your deck will stay true to your vision. That's where sites like AT come into the picture. And what a wonderful site it is, too. :) I'm in the process of resizing some images so that I can fill in the Suggest your deck form for Solandia, with a view to getting A'HA Oracle seen. A couple of people from this site have ordered decks in the last week or so, since someone mentioned it (I hadn't known of this site before the order arrived!), so hopefully they will enjoy it enough to comment. :)

Very best wishes with your endeavour, Holly. It's a big project, but one that can fill you with boundless joy! :)

linnie

Namste jcwirish :)

jcwirish said:
I get nagged constantly to get busy trying to get my book published, but I never get advice as to how to go about this in the best way.

I have a question for those who do publish their own decks. What if I waned to just create one deck for myself. What kind of card stock would you recommend (I would probably do water color pencil). Also, how do you then laminate the cards. Do you buy a spray lacquer type, or do you use an actual laminating machine. Isn't the regular lamination too thick for a card deck?

Namaste jwcirish. :) Not sure re the the first part of your question... When I needed a prototype of my deck to do readings with, though, I photocopied the original A4 drawings, reducing them to 1/4 page size, and then laminated these. You can get thicker/thinner laminating sheets, but they are quite thick all the same. As my deck was 77 cards, all laminated, and 1/4 A4 size, they were pretty unwieldy, but they let me read with them, all the same. :) The spray on lacquer might work, if you are gentle with your cards, and if the orinial art material doesn't bleed when sprayed.

Best wishes, Linnie :)

howling moon

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum so please forgive me for just leaping straight in with a question here.

However, has anyone attempted to find and use an online Print On Demand (POD) service? I've used these to publishing several art books in small runs and have found them to be very effective way of testing formats etc. Though I'm not sure if anyone is offering such a service

The reason I'm interested is because a close friend has asked if it would be feasible to use her art to produce a set of quality cards without having to endure the expenses involved in a large 18 card sheet run!