The fish in the cup

firemaiden

Alissa said:
In my brain sphere, he represents a message for the Page. Pretty basic.

Aha, so the fishie is like a message in a bottle thrown to sea by some unknown person in an unknown time, randomly bobbing about on the ocean with no addressee -- until found.

Hey, but wait a minute-- every card is one of those, after all, what is a tarot card but a timeless message with no addressee - bobbing about randomly until found.

How do we get the message out of the bottle? Do we look to the next card?

That would make the Page a sort of "pull another card" card, not unlike those "community chest" cards in the in monopoly that say "Go BACK THREE SPACES".

devilled egg

fish in the cup

I love this card. It makes me smile whenever it appears. If pages are students and Waite/Smith were looking to the Celtic tradition, which we know they were, I have always thought the fish was the Salmon of Wisdom, reknown in Celtic mythology

Annabelle

Oh, there are some marvelous interpretations here!

Thanks so much, Firemaiden, for starting the thread :). I've never, ever known what to make of that darned fish before . . .

magpie9

I love some of these interpretations, especially Marcia and Milfoil's. Awesome.

Listen to your Inner Fish, is what I say. Don't disregard your intuition. That's especially important for the logical types to do! If they're so Logical what're they doing getting a tarot reading, you ask? Learning, sez I. :joke:

firemaiden

magpie9 said:
I love some of these interpretations, especially Marcia and Milfoil's. Awesome.

Listen to your Inner Fish, is what I say. Don't disregard your intuition. That's especially important for the logical types to do! If they're so Logical what're they doing getting a tarot reading, you ask? Learning, sez I. :joke:
Magpie, have you been reading Neil Shubin? Your Inner Fish

mary ventura

OK, I apologize in advance because it's not profound in any way, but ... it just made me laugh so hard.

Started studying tarot last year. About a month into my study, I drew a card saying "what's tomorrow going to be like for me?" It was the page of cups. I was at the stage where I had no confidence whatsoever in my reading ability, so I laughed, and wrote in my tarot journal:

"Oh good, tomorrow a boy is going to give me a fish in a cup!" and drew a big laughing smilie.

The next day I was browsing around in a pet store and on impulse, bought a tropical fish (betta splendens) because I had recently lost one to old age. These particular fish are often displayed separately in small plastic containers, because they are aggressive to their own kind.

When I got home and got my fishie all settled in his new digs, I remembered my reading from the night before. :laugh:

(here he is) http://hex52mountain.com/shadowface/

Mary V

Marcia959

Mary V, I love your story! Sometimes a fish is just a fish!

magpie9

firemaiden said:
Magpie, have you been reading Neil Shubin? Your Inner Fish
Never heard of him...but how delightful! It's nice when the scientific guys catch up, isn't it!

firemaiden

Catch up? Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...