The fish in the cup

Rev_Vesta

Page of Cups...

many many interesting thoughts and posts........
It is great that we are all so different....on our thoughts...

RWS (have the orginal deck) not that I work with it much....
but when I get this card I think...

Cups..emotions..... something emotionally is going on..........
Page- Youthful, maybe something fairly new in this stage ........of it's cycle.......
just starting out, just starting to get these feelings........

Green- healing
reddish orange- needing courage to face the healing
yellow-success to overcome these challenges

Fish-not in normal environment,taken out of the big pond, river, ocean....
Fish out of water type situation........

To me the Page seems like he is listening to what the fish has to say.....
Are you listening to how you are feeling in this situation? Are you trusting that you can overcome these feeling you are holding on to?
These new feelings starting to stir within...........

I then start pulling all these thoughts into something that makes sense to client........

Vesta

Milfoil

If the fish in the cup of the Page represents a confined, limited form of instinct then it would make sense that the fish in the Kings card is in the ocean - by the time we reach the culmination of the suit, the King, the instinct is developed and encompasses all things in its realm.

TarotGirlUK

nisaba said:
Sorry I didn't get back to you - I overlooked the thread. There is some very basic information on both here, and an absolute bomb of literature in mystical and Arthurian literature. Karl Jung appropriated the phrase, he didn't coin it. He imported it from mysticism.

You just helped me with my coursework, thanks :)

TarotGirlUK

Rev_Vesta said:
Page of Cups...

many many interesting thoughts and posts........
It is great that we are all so different....on our thoughts...

Vesta

Its not always great, when I try and work it all into a meaning that works for me though :)

ruchikari

i was doin a reading for a friend . In that reading he drew page of cups that time i was refering a tarot book which i had just bought recently because it provided fresh views for the fish in the cup it wa written it denotes an offer or some news which will benefit emotionally . it was true in that reading .

Also fish in the cup had different meaning for diferent court cards

Knight : decision between action and feelings
Queen : sucees if intutions are paid heed to
King :practical application of energies towards attaining goals

TarotGirlUK

nisaba said:
To me it's more Arthurian - the Fisher-King, which ties up with the archetype of the wounded healer and all that other Arthurian stuff.

Here is a story of the Fisher-King.

http://www.brnrd.net/blog/archive/2009/11/26/the_fisher_king

Fish live in water. Water is in motion, unpredictable, and representative of the subconscious and is the association of the suit of Cups which represents emotions and feelings. Since the page looks at the fish (the fish is out of water) it may imply that he is looking into or reflecting upon his own emotion and feeling.

Twoflower

I've found this an interesting thread - lots of things I wasn't aware of to think about, some immediately 'ooh I can run with that' thoughts and some 'hmm that passes me by a bit' moments, all of which are useful.

The one additional thing that shouts at me though isn't symbolic or allegorical, it's practical - the summary of the scene this seems to be a snapshot of to me:
He is standing in front of the water, cup in hand, looking in to the cup. I imagine that he has just scooped the cup in to the water, only to look inside and see the fish.
To me that then makes for a more immediate jumping-off point in to the symbols: he went looking for water (consider here what that represents to you) and ended up with the fish (ditto).
So I'm mentally wandering down the road of 'embarking on emotional learning leading to wisdom, or to the unexpected in a good way'

But I need to chew it over a bit more. Be greatful for any reactions to that though...
T