One Deck Wonder

EarthAngel2911

OwlShadow said:
When I'm getting familiar with a deck I usually only do 3 or 5 card spreads, because I get a bit overwhelmed with the new imagery. I've been tempted a few times to pull out a more familiar deck so I could do a more indepth reading, but I've haven't yet either. I'm only on my second week! Does it get easier?
I had the same issue at the beginning as you're having now. The Universal Fantasy images are very detailed and in the beginning, before I had really "studied" the individual cards, I couldn't do more than a one or two-card spread without getting overwhelmed.

Now, after two months, I'm able to do larger spreads and see the messages. There are times I need to break it down between a few related cards at a time, but I notice that this deck doesn't lose anything with larger spreads, now that I am more familiar with it.

Hang in there! It does get easier. :)

EarthAngel2911

sravana said:
As far as it getting easier, I don't know. I've found that it's getting harder, but perhaps one needs to push through into a "zone" of sorts.

I did have a "zone" that I had to get through, although the Universal Fantasy is not nearly as deep as the MAAT. In the beginning, I was having a hard time reading the cards because I was trying to relate the images I was looking at with my "mental" deck, the RWS. And some of the images are too far removed from the RWS to read with the "standard" meanings. Plus, this LWB is very nearly useless, so I couldn't really rely on that for help.

I've never been an intuitive reader, but I find that this deck really opens me up to this method, and my readings have been much more meaningful when listening to my inner voice.

However, because Julie Cuccia-Watts designed her image with specific symbolism in mind (as opposed to my UFT deck), if it were me, I would probably start with her explanations in the book, and branch out with your intuition based on that.... I don't know if that would work, but that's what I would try first.

Good luck, and have fun! :D

Umbrae

If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill, take it and push it as far as it will go, push it to the wildest edge of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic.
--T. Robbins - The Ascension Factor – Frank Herbert

6 Haunted Days

I originally posted in the beginning of this thread about being not able to decide between a few decks. Well I haven't posted because I chose to work with 2....the Morgan-Greer and the Hanson-Roberts. So for almost 2 months I have worked with just those 2, and the vast vast majority of the time it's been with the MR (I would say 80%). It wasn't a "one" deck wonder for me so I knew I wouldn't fit the criteria.

But I do have to say it's been really wonderful! The cards, their voices and my intution and listening abilities have just blossomed. I was SO scattered before that I wasn't learning anything concrete. Now I am feeling an expansive energy....and very deep intimancy and connection to the MR and to a lesser degree the HR. I was only tempted a few times, but honestly nothing major and reading with something other than my MR or HR I knew just wouldn't feel right at this point and I also knew the reading would be harder and more scattered. I think this is a wonderful excercise and experience, but I also think it's not for everyone. I know, for me, if I had too white-knuckle it that I wouldn't have lasted long. I just felt a very strong and natural connection to those 2 decks, so nothing was forced.

In the next couple weeks I am going to be recieving the World Spirit and Victorian Romantic as belated Mother's day gifts.....I've been waiting for both of those for so long, so I may end my jaunt with this when they arrive, or actually I may find I don't want too, we shall see. I DO know that both the MR and HR will always be my most reached for decks, there is a very special energy between us.

a_shikhs

Umbrae said:
If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill, take it and push it as far as it will go, push it to the wildest edge of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic.
--T. Robbins - The Ascension Factor – Frank Herbert
:love:Beautifully said!!!:love:

Sheri

Interestingly, my 60th day with the IIT will fall on May 31st.

I think I will end my study of it on that day because another deck is calling to me to be studied ...

Tarot de Marseilles GRIMAUD

It is telling me that it has been patient enough while I "played around" with this Waite Smith "stuff" - now it is demanding to be studied.

It is also telling me that it is going to take longer than a "mere" 60 days! :bugeyed:

Sulis

valeria said:

I think I will end my study of it on that day because another deck is calling to me to be studied ...

It is telling me that it has been patient enough while I "played around" with this Waite Smith "stuff" - now it is demanding to be studied.

It is also telling me that it is going to take longer than a "mere" 60 days! :bugeyed:

Valeria I too moved on from the One Deck Wonder with the IIT to the Marseilles tarot.
The IIT seemed to have prepared me for the TdM with it's sparseness.
And yes, the Marseilles will take more than 60 days - it's good the way unillustrated pips make you take notice though...
Readings take a bit longer but it's amazing what you get out of those minors and the courts :)

lunakasha

valeria said:

I am leaning in the same direction as valeria....my 60th day is coming up on May 30th. And while I am really glad that I spent a good, solid month working with the Victorian Romatic (and more sporadically in the last three weeks) I am getting antsy to start working with a non-scenic pips deck. Either a Marseilles or Soprafino....something along those lines anyway! Now, of course, choosing THAT deck is sure to be a challenge, especially since I am sure it will be a much longer period of study. :bugeyed:

And I hope to find the courage to offer some readings next time around, as I do believe that practice--actually READING for others--will make all the difference.

:) Luna