The seven of cups and the Devil

rwcarter

So it seems that the seven of cups is about the right choice? If according to the querent the right choice is not made you still have the freedom to alter that so you can be free of the restrictions of the devil?
No, you said the reading was about the consequences of a decision. Because of the decision that's made (whatever that is), the 7C in the future says that there will be choices presented as a consequence of the decision that was made. And the Devil says that whatever choice from the 7C is made will be binding.

If the decision hasn't been set in stone yet, then there's time to rethink the decision based on the knowledge that choices will be presented as a consequence of that decision and the querent will be stuck with whatever choice is made. If the decision has been set in stone, then the focus changes to the choices that will be presented. Care needs to be taken in making that choice (7C) as the querent will find themselves bound by that choice.

For example, the decision is to quit one's job in a huff. The future choices would be find another job, go on unemployment (difficult but not impossible when you quit), go back to school, etc. Then the Devil says that the querent will need to see through whichever choice is made - they won't be able to easily change their mind and choose something else.

Does that make sense?

Rodney

Mandoline

No, you said the reading was about the consequences of a decision. Because of the decision that's made (whatever that is), the 7C in the future says that there will be choices presented as a consequence of the decision that was made. And the Devil says that whatever choice from the 7C is made will be binding.

If the decision hasn't been set in stone yet, then there's time to rethink the decision based on the knowledge that choices will be presented as a consequence of that decision and the querent will be stuck with whatever choice is made. If the decision has been set in stone, then the focus changes to the choices that will be presented. Care needs to be taken in making that choice (7C) as the querent will find themselves bound by that choice.

For example, the decision is to quit one's job in a huff. The future choices would be find another job, go on unemployment (difficult but not impossible when you quit), go back to school, etc. Then the Devil says that the querent will need to see through whichever choice is made - they won't be able to easily change their mind and choose something else.

Does that make sense?

Rodney

Yes it does make sense.
The way you put it with the example makes it a lot clearer.
Thank you.

Decision making is often very difficult. Especially if it's a decision that's warring between the heart and head.

Mandoline

I also created a spread to look at options. It includes a set of cards for the option not thought of because I've found that no matter how many options people think they have there is at least one option that they haven't thought of. The spread can be found at Too Many Choices.

Rodney

Like an option at the back of your mind that you don't want to look at for whatever reason?
Thanks for the spread. ☺
I'm having a look at it after this.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

For the record, up to half of the cards from a reading may be listed and/or discussed in Using Tarot Cards. We prefer that all cards to be discussed be listed in the opening post, to avoid having more than half the cards listed in subsequent posts. But that's not a rule.

In the basic 10 card Celtic Cross, up to 5 cards may be listed and/or discussed here in UTC.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards

rwcarter

It's actually a reading about the consequences if the querent decides NOT to continue with this particular person. If the querent goes looking for greener pastures so to say..

Yes it does make sense.
The way you put it with the example makes it a lot clearer.
Thank you.

Decision making is often very difficult. Especially if it's a decision that's warring between the heart and head.
In the circumstances you described above, the 7C could easily represent the choice of new partners and the Devil could represent choosing the wrong partner and having to live with that choice. "Out of the frying pan and into the fire" as we say here in the States.

Like an option at the back of your mind that you don't want to look at for whatever reason?
Or the choice you can't bring yourself to think of. For example in this type of situation, going back to an ex who hurt the querent in the past instead of pursuing a relationship with someone new.

Rodney

Mandoline

For the record, up to half of the cards from a reading may be listed and/or discussed in Using Tarot Cards. We prefer that all cards to be discussed be listed in the opening post, to avoid having more than half the cards listed in subsequent posts. But that's not a rule.

In the basic 10 card Celtic Cross, up to 5 cards may be listed and/or discussed here in UTC.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards
Thanks for clarifying that.
On that note..the first card in this reading was the Lovers, crossed by the six of swords. I see that as a decision that was made after a lot of consideration, but still was made after all.

So the decision aspect is here in the base of the reading.

I took a look at your spread, and I want to try it for myself too.
But I can't open the link to your example reading? Seems like that post was removed.

rwcarter

But I can't open the link to your example reading? Seems like that post was removed.
The sample reading was moved to the Chat forum, which is Subscriber only, for some reason that I'll have to figure out.

Mandoline

The sample reading was moved to the Chat forum, which is Subscriber only, for some reason that I'll have to figure out.
So for your spread you pull a total of 18 cards? (4 times 4 plus the two additional )

rwcarter

So for your spread you pull a total of 18 cards? (4 times 4 plus the two additional )
If there are four options, yes. If there are only three, then you'd only pull 14 cards. And if there were 8, you'd pull 34 cards.