Black Cats Tarot - lo Scarabeo

tarot heart

I'm sorry but I just don't get the negativity about the World card.
Is it being implied that this is a racist image?
I'm not getting that out of it at all.
This image epitomizes the yin/yang of our existence, nothing more.
And by the way, as a woman, I would have absolutely no objection to becoming a man, especially would love to become a black man! How wonderful that would be! :D

As much as I like cats, I am sick of all the cat decks coming out. This one is nice but was it really necessary? I think we've had one too many already. Just saying. :)

momentarylight

Indeed - except when people say loftily that LoS should be more culturally sensitive. It is fair to point out that they are not alone. Though actually this topic could make a VERY interesting thread... I shall consider how to word it.

Thanks LeFanu. White as purity again.

What the LWB says need not be important to everyone. Individuals as they develop as tarot readers learn to interpret symbols, colours etc differently.

Some years ago I remember reading in this forum a discussion about another LS deck - Tarot of the White Cats - some comments about racism of a different kind which I simply had not seen in that deck. Despite the passionate arguments about that deck then I still don't see it as racist.

As others have said, symbols have different cultural meanings. And sometimes, personal meanings change over time as well.

Obsydian

Never never enough!
As much as I like cats, I am sick of all the cat decks coming out. This one is nice but was it really necessary? I think we've had one too many already. Just saying. :)

momentarylight

I just purchased Tarot of the Black Cats from Amazon - part of a bulk book order (yes, real paper books).

Having seen more scans I really like the surrealist art work of the Black Cats deck. I have a number of cat decks -only two of which could be called 'realistic' in terms of their art work.

Symbolism IS cultural and relates often to personal experience. Some things are definitely offensive to individuals and groups.

There are some things, not just tarot decks, that I would not buy for that reason. Oddly enough, I don't like the Baroque Bohemian Cats deck because it shows real cats dressed up as humans. For some odd reason, I feel uneasy about that.

Now I have to wait a month to get my Amazon parcel. Had forgotten how EXPENSIVE American postal charges are :(

Alessi

I just received this deck in the mail today and I am utterly enchanted by it. It is just beautiful. I find the imagery incredibly emotive. The seven of swords is the best representation of this concept (the way I see it) that I have ever seen. It is about clever thinking to escape a dangerous or deadly situation. To me that is what the seven of swords is about. I also adore the six of swords - again I have never seen a more perfect representation of it. The cat has left the swords behind, he is casting off his little boat to a better place. I think this sums it up better than the usual imagery where the people in the boat are taking the swords with them.

I just adore the entire deck actually. Strength is so beautiful that the first time I saw it, I got tears in my eyes. The cat is giving the lion a gentle scratch on his head - cats adore that, the lion is bowing his head and I can almost hear him start to purr. It is such a beautiful image of kindness and gentleness prevailing as strength. I just love it.

I think this is going to be my main reading deck from now on. I don't remember ever feeling so immediately enamoured by a deck before.

nisaba

I guess that would kind of make sense. I see in the Fool the usual dog is a black cat.
I own at least one Marseille deck where the "dog" is a cat, a cat savagely biting and clawing the Fool's leg. Can't remember which one, and at the moment I don't have time to go hunting. It's interesting: at the time it was made, both Fools and cats were seen in a negative light.

I suppose as a herder of black cats, I really should look at getting this one.

Owl Song

Alessi, or someone else who has the deck and wants to chime in, or has seen the card online even -- what do you make of the 9 of Pentacles? (cat floating with arms outstretched while a group of sharks circles around him. There's also what appears to be a nearby bottle floating with gold coins inside.)

rachelcat

I just noticed that there are FOUR cat decks in my Amazon cart: One newly "in stock," three "available for pre-order."

I'll probably get them all.

No further message. :)

Fire

I just bought this deck on a complete whim... I was about to get the Ludy Lescot deck, since I'd been considering it for so long, but instead I walked out with this weird collection of felines that I've never even noticed before? I was a bit disappointed by the art once I opened the pack - much of it seems naive and some of the cards are poorly drawn, like the artist does not have a complete grasp of how digital art works (is supposed to work). SO MUCH COPY-PASTE, ugh... and so little blending of elements together... Still, I do appreciate that most of it is drawn (even if items are only drawn once and then copy-pasted); and not photo-manipped.

Also, I do like the colors in many of the cards, and according to an acquaintance my deck's first ever reading was pretty spot on. So... I'd say it's an okay deck. Bonus points if you're really into cats, of course.

As for the World card... I honestly have no idea how some people can view this as a racial problem. This is an entire deck celebrating black cats as amazing portals between worlds and animals with high spiritual power, with the Fool (the one lacking experience and wisdom) being the only white one. I highly doubt anyone was trying to moralize on "white is better than black" when they thought out those two cards. I'm a newbie, but the second I opened the deck and looked at the cards, I thought "oh okay, so now that the journey is complete, the character becomes the Fool once again, for a new journey. Cool." If anything, the WHITE cat is the one who's inferior to the black ones, because she's the only one who's a blank slate. But again, this is about symbolism, not race.