Black Cats Tarot - lo Scarabeo

Le Fanu

Thanks LeFanu. White as purity again.
I suppose there must be something in there about going "full circle" rather than ascending into purity and leaving blackness behind.

gregory

I suppose there must be something in there about going "full circle" rather than ascending into purity and leaving blackness behind.

I guess that would kind of make sense. I see in the Fool the usual dog is a black cat. So a black cat is trying to get his attention and teach him a lesson... that's - not bad, yes ?

Sure, Obsydian, they are cats, not people. But the subliminal message is still potentially there, that blackness is something to shed.

I must look at the white cats deck for a bit... I wish I weren't getting ready to fly - far far from most of my decks !

milena

Kaiye strange associations, in relation to white cats. never would think in this party that is racism.
This is the yin - Jan.
It is contrast, for a figurative row. Dualism, contrast.
This beginning and end. It in game - black, in not games - white, (world), out of mind (clown). It isn't connected in any way with skin color, simply an image of contrast no more. I think if black I was for the author dirty. he wouldn't began to devote to this color work and so multiple quantity of cats.
You after all won't take offense at a wedding dress of white color? Or on mourning color - black, for many nations?
Here the black - a game way of the clown, instead of dirt. On "sun" there is no negative, there is no dirt in black option.

Also I ask you to understand that the author from Russia, in this country isn't present strong rassistky debate, my friend there lives and often I happen at it on a visit and I see as as.

gregory

This is what I increasingly wonder about all the various sensitivities in life. Things are so different in different parts of the world. I've been in a big and entirely separate argument about racism on another forum (not tarot at all) and the prevailing view among American members (but not Canadians, interestingly) is that there can be no such thing as racism against white people - that HISTORY is involved and some even say there can't be racism except against black people - specifically not against their own first nation people; all the Europeans say yes there can.

I think we need to take this stuff into account more when accusing people of doing something terrible that is not an issue where they were brought up.

Debra

I think we need to take this stuff into account more when accusing people of doing something terrible that is not an issue where they were brought up.

So true. If you want to communicate with people and sell to them, you must be sensitive.

gregory

So true. If you want to communicate with people and sell to them, you must be sensitive.

Yes indeed - but also if you want people to keep creating, you also need to allow for different perspectives coming from different places - as milena says. We cannot ALL know EVERY cultural sensitivity off pat.

That's why so many people get into huge trouble on vacation when they do something harmless by their standards, but that is locally unacceptable. I don't mean being stupid enough to go around in strictly Islamic areas in shorts and a boob tube, but "smaller" things like eating with the wrong hand... It's the same principle - unwitting offence. And I do actually think this card was totally unwitting, and in many ways (white for purity, yin/yang and so on) makes symbolic sense. As debra said earlier - a very unfortunate clash.

OH - I just thought about what Leffy said - full circle. We ALL have BOTH black and white within us anyway - our yin and yang... we reveal one and then the other...Neither is "bad".

morganesky

I think the point of evolution regards racism is to push beyond 'black' being the symbolism of 'bad', end of story. It's a Christian thing only, as I am sure the Ancient Egyptians would have thought that white was darn pretty seedy back in the day, so it isn't a natural thought process at all.

I doubt this conversation and people's thoughts regard certain imagery relating to racism will stop people creating. Sure, it is an artist's responsibility to be cautious of such topics, but then, half of the great artists fly in the face of controversy because that is their style. But if you are going to mass produce something, it has to be mass sensitive, and that encompasses all races, creeds and belief systems, which in this day and age - thankfully - is racially sensitive. I haven't read one word here where anyone has blamed the artist, mostly the publisher for not guiding the finished product to hold less potentially offensive imagery.

LassTira

Thoughtful Thread

I have read the thread and many different opinions on this and my thoughts have wavered in several different directions..

One: It's just a tarot deck, why get your feathers ruffled. BUT on the other side of this, some of the worst incidents in life (Dealing with racism) have had very small seeds.

Two: People are too sensitive. BUT on the other side, I am not black, I have not had to go through the same struggles and challenges that a black man or even a black woman has had, so it is easier for me to say, "Quit being sensitive" when my life, my challenges have very little in common with those feeling offended.

Three: Unintentional at best. I have to believe...(or hope) that the author's intention was by no means to say, "Oh those black people....they should ultimately aspire to be white, shed their blackness! They may never change their shin color but they sure can become white in every other aspect!"

Four: Seeing it in spiritual. My thoughts after looking at the card, seeing the posts and thinking on it is that the meaning I would see would be to ascend to a different level level of thinking, moving away from an egocentric, negative mindset. HOWEVER, do I see all those things epitomized by the color black? No, not personally. For me black is the ultimate spiritual color, representing the void and all that one can learn within.

Five and Finally: Just as Rodney stated, the deck, the publisher, even the author can insult him (or anyone else who may take offense to the card) but he does not have to pay them to do it. You don't HAVE to buy the deck, some people have said it would leave a bad taste in their mouth, so again, no one is forcing this on you, and perhaps if enough people do the research and do not buy the deck that will be a small (very small) hit to the publisher/author and they may look in to what was less appealing about the deck (beyond the tiaras)

My own personal thought it while I do look at the offending card spiritually I agree with a previous poster that a different color may have taken some of the sting out of the card, a little translucent coloring to the white cat or a muddle grey/tortoiseshell for the other. Even if that card wasn't there I am perfectly happy with the Pagan Cats deck I have and I wish those who do like it, to use it and connect with it well. Those who don't, let's focus more on the decks that do call to you to the highest power, and not let the ones who don't drag you down.

prudence

JUst looking at my black cat a short while ago, and thinking she would never aspire to be white, for one main reason; we're talking about cats, in a tarot deck, but in reality, a cat who is all white is at such a terrible disadvantage. They have no camouflage. Not only is hunting going to be a bit more difficult for them, but hiding from other creatures that would hunt them would be pretty hard as well.

White cats (or any white animal) are much easier to prey upon, and so as unrealistic as this deck is meant to be, it is still "about cats" and going from black to white would be truly detrimental to any cat (unless it's locked up in a house its entire life). So, this evolution from black to white is silly even when we remove the human racism factor, imo.

baylys

Well I'm about to lower the whole academic tone of the conversation.

I looked at the card and had a giggle...... A fresh dog doo-doo, when left where it fell, will turn white eventually............

See, told ya I was going to lower the tone!