King of Cups + The Tower

headincloud

Tower often heralds someone coming into our life and making an impact in a good way. Any lover coming in under the card is bound to be a deep, exciting, unnerving presence.

Grizabella

I usually don't use the elemental dignities of cards because I haven't learned a lot about that so I'll add my 2 cents worth without them. :)

I'm not sure you drew these cards in the order you've mentioned them, with the King first. I think that could definitely change the meaning of the two together significantly.

If the King is first, then he's looking away from the Tower and isn't aware of what's going to happen soon. He's facing the past and as he holds his bowl there, he's offering love, compassion and protection to someone or some situation in the past.

If the Tower came first, then he'd be seen (by me at least) as offering his wisdom and healing to whoever was affected by the Tower incident. The King would be trying to soothe, heal and make sense of the catastrophic event that's happened.

Whenever I get a deck/book set I try to find out from the book what, exactly, the creator had in mind for the illustrations to convey. Sometimes the art differs from the standard meaning enough that you can get a better reading if you've incorporated the artist's intention along with your own knowledge of RWS meanings. The artist of this deck has said the traits of the King of Cups are quiet strength, the wish to heal and soothe, and to be protective, so that's the way I'd interpret the card in the upright position coming after the Tower.

Ruby Jewel

Hey everyone,

Just curious how would you interpret these two together in terms of someone's evolving feelings. I'm working with the Shadowscapes deck.

King of Cups + Tower

I think it could mean controlled feelings or perhaps even falling in love but the structure of control comes crashing down. Not sure though.

What do you think?

Thank you!

BEM

If I drew the King of Cups and the Tower together, I would run (laugh)....but seriously, I would be inclined to run because, first of all, the King of Cups is psychologically maimed from childhood. He lacks self-confidence and compensates by being very controlling in a relationship. I liken him to the ailing Fisher King in the tale of the Holy Grail: a good man who helps others, but is unable to heal himself. He is unable to trust. The Tower here expresses the devastation one would encounter in this relationship.