What about those Skeptics?

Scibility

So, how do you respond to Skeptics people? They will find a way to disprove Tarot, simply called "debunking", if I am not wrong with the terms... I find them and their arguings, showing proofs, etc. as just a show-off. For me personally, I think they have a weak sense of power, and to equilibriate that, they are trying to get people to buy into their "proofs". They had to show people why they are right and others are wrong. I find that I cannot deal with such people with respect.

Obama says –quote — “when ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance you don’t really have to do anything, you just let them talk.”

Tap into your inner :THP RaySusilo :)

skipbosco

Great post! I too am a bit of a "skeptic" (or sceptic) of the Tarot as way to "see" the future, as "the future" does not really exist. (Yes in America we spell it with a K)

...But people use signs to predict possible outcomes every day, including the weathermen. All kinds of signs. Don't have a tarot deck? No problem. Just ask the question and be alert for the sign that will reveal the answer. Or pick up a book (any book) and go to any page and find a clue. The reality (the cosmos) is all mind stuff and it will find a way to communicate with you if you are willing to listen.

Agreed. Yup.

SunChariot

So, how do you respond to Skeptics people? They will find a way to disprove Tarot, simply called "debunking", if I am not wrong with the terms... I find them and their arguings, showing proofs, etc. as just a show-off. For me personally, I think they have a weak sense of power, and to equilibriate that, they are trying to get people to buy into their "proofs". They had to show people why they are right and others are wrong. I find that I cannot deal with such people with respect.

Personally, I believe that we are all of us on a spiritual path. It is part of my beliefs that it usually takes many lifetimes for all of us. We are all at different levels now. We, each of us, have the right to feel our way down our path on our own. And to follow what feels right to us inside. Whether it is or not, or whether we are on a right path or not, we each have that right.

I do not try to convince anyone of anything, unless they ask my opinion. They are free to have their opinions and beliefs just as I am free to have mine. Either we are all free to do that or none of us are. And I sure would not like someone else to come along and tell me what I should believe in. I have the right to choose for myself. They have the right to choose for themselves.

I try to understand that when people get upset at my sometimes unconventional ideas, that a lot of times, it's just fear. People are afraid of change. Most of us are. And we certain don't want it thrust on us by someone else. Some people feel threatened when they see us having unusual viewpoints that we are sure of. It makes them think we might possibly be right and that kicks in their fear of change. And in some people that causes panic.

We are all human, we all have our own fears. I have mine. I accept that other people are human too and that they have theirs too. It is a fact of life, I just accept it.

We can't force someone to see something spiritual if they are not ready to see it. First people resent being forced and fight back and next if they are not ready yet, then they are not.

It doesn't bother me. I just try to think of all this kind of thing.

It is not my job to decide where they should be or believe, even if it were someone I loved deeply. We all need to decide our beliefs on our own. My job is only to decide my own life. And theirs it so decide on theirs.

Babs

OaksWhispering

I agree to disagree. I really don't care whether or not they believe it, so I don't try to convince them. I know that when they are hell bent on not believing, they will stick to it. I have to set boundaries for the ones who get rude, and there are skeptics who get angry at readers. The ones who get nasty about it, I think take it personal for some reason. Maybe it is fear of something they can't use their five senses on. Or maybe the idea of someone being able to connect with them makes them uncomfortable.

I feel sorry for skeptics because they are really missing out.

Holly doll

I agree to disagree. I really don't care whether or not they believe it, so I don't try to convince them. I know that when they are hell bent on not believing, they will stick to it. I have to set boundaries for the ones who get rude, and there are skeptics who get angry at readers. The ones who get nasty about it, I think take it personal for some reason. Maybe it is fear of something they can't use their five senses on. Or maybe the idea of someone being able to connect with them makes them uncomfortable.

I feel sorry for skeptics because they are really missing out.

I don't bother trying to convince them - they need to think they are right & others wrong for whatever reason, so I refuse to play their game. If any become obnoxious while I am working with them - I stop the reading & ask them to leave.

Perhaps those sceptics who become rude or angry toward readers do so because they can't argue them into submission... ;)

GlitterNova

I think it's sad that being a 'skeptic' has become conflated with being a 'stubborn non-believer.' Being skeptical of something doesn't necessarily mean you don't believe in something (or won't come to believe in it in the future), it means you want to have some sort of proof before investing belief into a phenomenon. A skeptic in the true meaning of the word will be interested in hearing your experience with a phenomenon (like tarot) so that they can make an informed decision about it. They're not going to immediately dismiss it. I think the sad thing is that a lot of rational people (myself included) consider themselves skeptics in the true sense of the word, but find that its name has been sullied by stubborn non-believers who try to make themselves sound intelligent by calling themselves 'skeptics'.

SunChariot

The thing is that it is next to impossible to actually prove anything spiritual or esoteric, which to me is what Tarot is. It can't be proven scientifically. So at some point you either have to make a leap of faith or you will never believe. It is not of the type of thing that lends itself to being proven using scientific method in repeatable experiments....

And unless and until you are ready to make a leap of faith there are always reasons can be found as to why it was really something else at work instead. But, in my experience, it is only after you make it that the real proofs show up, on an individual basis. As illogical as it sounds. to me you can't see the proof unless you already believe and then it's everywhere.

And of course it is very much possible to not be able to prove something and for it still to be true.

Babs