What about those Skeptics?

nisaba

With all due respect to Einstein's contrary opinion, I believe that future events are not strictly predetermined, but determined only within probabilistic limits. Therefore predictive tarot readings cannot be 100% accurate (unless the reader is skilled enough to be sufficiently convincing and vague at the same time :)). That doesn't make me a sceptic, but it does put predictive tarot reading in the realm of quantum probabilities rather than strict determinism.

I don't tend to look strictly for events. I tend to look for energies: I tend to look for areas of opportunity and areas of risk, so that the client can then make the most of the opportunities, and minimise or avoid the risks.

Richard

I don't tend to look strictly for events. I tend to look for energies: I tend to look for areas of opportunity and areas of risk, so that the client can then make the most of the opportunities, and minimise or avoid the risks.
FWIW, I think that's a good approach.

ravenest

Thats pretty much how I read too.

ravenest

I call 'em as I see 'em. I actually agree with you two at times ... its just that I am also vocal when I dont. Maybe I have just created a new 'these three' ? Naaaah.

Fortunately with some (you two) slavish agreement does not seem to be a prerequisite for fiendship ... oooops ... friendship (doesnt mean we wont poke the hell out of each other though }) ) ... but then (and back on topic) according to Pyrrho nothing can be known for certain, can it?

Grizabella

The "k" is used in the American spelling ;)

The k is used in the American spellings because enough Americans couldn't spell it right that "if you can't fight'em, join'em" took over. Just like people using z where an s goes in a lot of words.

I've always considered the dictionary interesting reading material and I'm kind of a spelling Nazi. I threw up my hands when I had to correct the spelling of words on the spelling list my daughter's teacher sent home with her to learn.

Gloria Jean

So, how do you respond to Skeptics people? They will find a way to disprove Tarot, simply called "debunking", if I am not wrong with the terms... I find them and their arguings, showing proofs, etc. as just a show-off. For me personally, I think they have a weak sense of power, and to equilibriate that, they are trying to get people to buy into their "proofs". They had to show people why they are right and others are wrong. I find that I cannot deal with such people with respect.

Why be concerned with skeptics? Tarot, for me anyway, is not a religion. (I suspect it is for some people, because at first I viewed it as such.)

Gloria Jean

I guess the question I have is -skeptical of what?

I am a newbie, 2 months into this journey. The Tarot came crashing into my life from outta some crazy left field who knows where...2 months in and it's been a life altering experience.

But I have no definitive ideas on how it works. Am I hooking up with a guardian angel? Spirit? Plugging into the Jungian collective unconsciousness? I have no idea. I've also had many other rather profound and unexplainable experiences in my life, I've studied mediumship and giving psychic readings, past life regression, deep meditation, automatic writing...all kinds of things...but the skeptic in me always keeps me from defining what is going on...I have no idea.

However, intuitively, I know exactly how it works...if that makes sense. Being a newbie I have only given maybe a dozen readings, and every reading seems to involve some conversation about how it works, what's going on...I just say that I haven't a clue. I'm probably more skeptical about what's going on with Tarot than anyone I will ever read for, including myself, but at the same time I know that there's something to it, something very deep and powerful, something that aligns neatly with all of my knowledge about esoteric subjects, as well as my knowledge of science, physics, psychology, etc.

But come on, when I got my first deck and was just kinda shuffling like crazy, laying out 3 cards.....shuffling like crazy....laying out 3 cards....i got the same 3 card spread twice in a row, and the 3rd time was 2 of same cards, and a very similar 3rd card. I pulled the same single card for a friend (a total skeptic) 3 times in a row. Throwing down the same 3 cards twice in a row has happened several times since then. I've thrown down a 5 card spread for a particular question, and then thrown 5 cards from another deck and gotten almost the same exact spread, 4 out of 5.

Something is going on here but I refuse to define it, and am totally skeptical of anyone who claims to know what is going on here, how the Tarot works.

What I do know is that about 2 weeks into this journey I had a very powerful epiphany about this Tarot thing...and that's all I really need to know, otherwise it's just a mystery and I don't worry about what people think, or for that matter what I think. Thinking and tarot are kind of mutually exclusive methinks.

Great post! I too am a bit of a "skeptic" (or sceptic) of the Tarot as way to "see" the future, as "the future" does not really exist. (Yes in America we spell it with a K)

...But people use signs to predict possible outcomes every day, including the weathermen. All kinds of signs. Don't have a tarot deck? No problem. Just ask the question and be alert for the sign that will reveal the answer. Or pick up a book (any book) and go to any page and find a clue. The reality (the cosmos) is all mind stuff and it will find a way to communicate with you if you are willing to listen.

LunarLioness

I don't tend to discuss discuss tarot with people I know for certain wouldn't like it / would be sceptical, just like I don't discuss many other things I have opinions on that don't actually concern anyone else. Usually, if I'm not asking someones advice about something, I've already researched / experienced it myself and I don't really wish to enter into a debate that only comes down to beliefs.

I have been quite lucky though, for those who do know I read tarot and lenormand, most of them think it's great or at least interesting. But then again, I've been doing it for a long time and almost all of my family are very open minded. Of the couple of people who have said something negative (a couple of people who saw my cards, are very religious people and told me they are "the devils work") I simply smiled, raised my eyebrows and said "they are pieces of paper with pictures on them....how does that threaten you?" and they've not made any further comment :)

But I have to say, the wisdom to know when to discuss something and when to not, has come with age. I used to spout off about all sorts of controversial opinions, then get angry and upset when I ended up in a hot headed debate. Now, I just don't care enough what other people think, and prefer to just go about my day :)

gregory

I don't tend to discuss discuss tarot with people I know for certain wouldn't like it / would be sceptical, just like I don't discuss many other things I have opinions on that don't actually concern anyone else. Usually, if I'm not asking someones advice about something, I've already researched / experienced it myself and I don't really wish to enter into a debate that only comes down to beliefs.

I have been quite lucky though, for those who do know I read tarot and lenormand, most of them think it's great or at least interesting. But then again, I've been doing it for a long time and almost all of my family are very open minded. Of the couple of people who have said something negative (a couple of people who saw my cards, are very religious people and told me they are "the devils work") I simply smiled, raised my eyebrows and said "they are pieces of paper with pictures on them....how does that threaten you?" and they've not made any further comment :)

But I have to say, the wisdom to know when to discuss something and when to not, has come with age. I used to spout off about all sorts of controversial opinions, then get angry and upset when I ended up in a hot headed debate. Now, I just don't care enough what other people think, and prefer to just go about my day :)
This exactly :) I'd like not to have to listen when people tell me about all the things that they believe in and I don't, and that's when I realise that others may feel the same about my beliefs. So I leave it be.

Now when I visit the house of a friend I had no idea was interested and she has a tarot deck lying in the open on her sideboard, THAT's when I start in :) (that was GREAT fun and a lovely surprise !)