using the tarot for in-depth daily guidance?

JackofWands

And there's another fascinating thing. Most people seek out decks that resonate with them and avoid decks that don't, the latter include decks that leave you indifferent and decks that stir up negative feelings in you. Now those negative feelings might be good pointers to shady areas in our subconscious. I believe that exploring those shady areas and bringing them to light is an indispensable part of one's spiritual path, and for that reason decks that invoke hatred and repulsion in you are as valuable as those that resonate with you. This is a really intriguing idea. I think I'm going to actually try reading with decks that do that for me and see where it takes me.

I completely agree! Right now, I have few enough decks that I want to acquire those I really love rather than those I detest, but every time I have a visceral reaction against a certain deck, I get the impression that there's valuable--if unpleasant--work to be done with it.

closerwalking

I've been living in the western culture this life, and i have traveled to other countries. I've been fascinated by cultural, societal, we-group influences. I am disappointed in how much bible based loyalty still exists in this country. For the most part it is still considered taboo to question the huge, mythic influence this book has on society, even here. It is on our money, In court it is used to swear upon. It is still upheld as ultimate authority even here in tarot. I am disappointed in how much old testament beliefs dominate tarot. And regarding I ching, I kept looking until I found translation that is relatively free of chinese dogma. I've never resonated with dogma. I have spent most of my life breaking loose of cultural, societal influences. and the ones most difficult to get loose of are the ones assoc. with the bible, in part because it is still held as the ultimate authority, in this country, and it was imprinted onto the collective society in pretty harsh ways, for thousands of years. When in truth for me, it is full of holes and things that do not add up, when I step back and look at it objectively. I'm no longer afraid to say the "emperor" has no clothes. or as in Wizard of OZ, I've looked behind all the oohs and ahhs and found there was just an ordinary man pulling levers, pretending to be all powerful. Look at it objectively, and ask yourself why has Christianity dominated world view? truthfully. step outside this unquestioned place and look, explore, do not make assumptions. look at it from an outsider's perspective. My travels outside this country, outside this culture have helped me do this.

I've found what I have been looking for in tarot. I recently got the Hidden Realm deck and this is a deck that begs to be a part of one's life on a regular basis. (and it is free of anything associated with the bible book myth. )

tarotbear

Without reading the entire thread -

When I first began to learn the Tarot in the 1990s I did a lot of in-depth readings - and recorded them all. As a learning experience it was of great value, but to have to find the time to sit down and do a complete 10-card CC spread every single day .... ? Much less write it all down (in a PC these days) .... ? For the everyday, simple things in my life I don't need to do anything so involved on a daily basis; if the Tarot says something is going to happen 'soon' - then 'soon' is good enough for me.

Zephyros

Can you give an example of these "old testament beliefs" that are prevalent in Tarot?

ETA: You're still writing as if everyone on this thread has expressed awe of the Bible, when in fact nobody has... please give some examples.

dancing_moon

I completely agree! Right now, I have few enough decks that I want to acquire those I really love rather than those I detest, but every time I have a visceral reaction against a certain deck, I get the impression that there's valuable--if unpleasant--work to be done with it.

I was thinking more in terms of online browsing/doing free trial readings with online/offline apps. Another part of it is that once you've done your 'homework' with that deck, you probably won't care for it any longer, so buying a physical deck might be a waste. Or you could find that you're falling in love with that deck, and then your purchase will be well-justified. :D

To the OP: Tarot of the Hidden Realm is a lovely deck. :thumbsup: I'm thinking of getting it myself. Still, trying to break loose is just the first stage. You'll be totally free only when you're able to speak about it neutrally, and I'm praying that the beautiful presences around you will help you with that. :)

Tanga

...I am disappointed in how much bible based loyalty still exists in this country. For the most part it is still considered taboo to question the huge, mythic influence this book has on society, even here. It is on our money, In court it is used to swear upon.

<aside> - I just found out over Yule, that in the UK, one can now request a Pagan oath to swear by in court.
Awsome!
and - it's now permitted to carry an Athame around - providing it's well packed in your bag and you're on your way to-or-from, a Pagan ritual/gathering.
Wahey!

when I step back and look at it objectively. I'm no longer afraid to say the "emperor" has no clothes. or as in Wizard of OZ, I've looked behind all the oohs and ahhs and found there was just an ordinary man pulling levers, pretending to be all powerful. Look at it objectively, and ask yourself why has Christianity dominated world view?...

There is always 'an ordinary man pulling the levers' behind everything, as we're all just ordinary humans really, attempting to make sense of our existence.
I can't answer your question of why Christianity is so popular and ingrained - I have wondered this myself many times. Did they just happen to get the largest dollop of clever and Charismatic leaders with a larger number of beefy warriors behind them?? Lol.

I've found what I have been looking for in tarot. I recently got the Hidden Realm deck and this is a deck that begs to be a part of one's life on a regular basis. (and it is free of anything associated with the bible book myth. )

Yay! - you found a deck that works for you.
I had a quick look at it on the AT page. It looks decidedly neo-Pagan in it's symbolism to me - with a large dollop of innocence. I quite like it.

Tanga

To the OP: Tarot of the Hidden Realm is a lovely deck. :thumbsup: I'm thinking of getting it myself. Still, trying to break loose is just the first stage. You'll be totally free only when you're able to speak about it neutrally, and I'm praying that the beautiful presences around you will help you with that. :)

Beautifully said.
:)

Starshower

Can you give an example of these "old testament beliefs" that are prevalent in Tarot?

ETA: You're still writing as if everyone on this thread has expressed awe of the Bible, when in fact nobody has... please give some examples.

I echo closrapexa's question: WHAT "Old Testament beliefs" do you perceive in the Tarot?
Many members of AT are not Christian; many do daily readings or card-pulls for guidance, self-understanding & personal development. I have no idea where your assumptions & blanket statements come from. Please give examples of what bothers you.

ps Out of about 100 different decks, I have only 1 that is specifically Christian. And that is post-New-Testament - not old, since Christianity only started & was defined in the 4th century AD (or Common Era, as it is now called) at the Council of Nicea.

Your references to ancient myths show a very literalist mindset and lack of a grasp of what 'myth' means. You also misunderstand & mis-quote the Garden of Eden story. Acquiring knowledge was not the problem or 'sin' ...

BTW, the canonical bible is a collection of many ancient texts, all written, copied & translated by many different people, from different sources & points of view, with different agendas, in different eras, often hundreds of years apart. I hope you understand that the bible is not "a book"! You don't actually seem to understand what it is you dislike so much ... (which is fine. We don't all have to study every religion! :) I was just commenting on your antagonism and wondering about it.)
Where do you see any old testament teachings in Tarot?

closerwalking

I am not talking about people on this site personally, rather am talking about decks, and framework most people work with. A clue to what I am talking about. is look at the images on the deck you use. objectively, and look at the "then". the culture, what was going on, what culture, story, myth is it connected to. Majority of tarot decks use some sort of symbology that is tied into feudal mindset. which is cornerstone of the bible, and this "story" that I am referring to. Christianity, bible took this storyline and created myth that has dominated western culture, indeed there is hardly any place on this earth that has not felt the dominating presence of Christianity. And I ask you why? Why has this particular religion achieved such strong hold? when it's god is not particularly likeable or trustworthy, if one honestly looks at the stories about this god in its formative years. and then the most beautiful character in the bible, Jesus, his values, his message is almost lost by the dominating culture intent on making him their exclusive king. feudal mindset. even in new testament, the main theme focused on is the grizzly way he was murdered. the dominating theme of this myth, that dominates society, world wide, is that this earth is place of suffering, and trials. and that we cannot trust ourselves, as we are born into sin, the moment we enter this realm. so therefore we must work for salvation, by being loyal to a god, and as we are so inferior there is whole hierarchy we have to work through, Only the high ranks have access this feudal lord god. The problem with this myth is that it took this Presence that is truly everywhere, and plugged it into feudal order. which forced, coerced people to be loyal to churches, etc. So really what I am talking about is this worldwide belief and practice of feudal ordering societies, and extending this to the invisible realm.

Starshower

You know, closerwalking, I totally agree with your last post & its criticisms of 'Christianity'. Well said. :)
However, the feudal system is a European one, not found in any of the bibilical texts.
And I still don't see any old testament symbolism in the tarot. Though medieval European feudal - yes, plenty.

But hear hear to your last! 'Jesus' (as the Roman invaders re-named Yeshua) was a beautiful character. Sadly - tragically even - far too many of his apparent 'followers' in the church weren't. :(