Tarot Trimming Tools-- Rotary Cutter & Corner Rounder

Chiska

aurarcana said:
I highly recommend the one that FaireMaiden mentioned in her first post. It punches small corners (5mm) and works like a charm.

This does large and small corners - but it does have a learning curve. But the one that FaireMaiden recommended is lined up for my next Amazon order.

Pam O

I followed the advice in this thread and bought the 5mm corner rounder. I'm using it on the Robert Place Vampire tarot, and it is making a fabulous difference! Why those cards where ever sold without rounded corners is mind boggling to me.

So, has anyone found a great 3mm rounder? I've been searching everywhere...

PS If it were not for AT, I would have never even thought of trimming any decks. I am so happy with the decks I've trimmed so far. They are all being used so much more now and not just sitting on the shelf neglected. :D

exxyea

This thread is just what I'm looking for! I knew that if I ever wanted to experiment with trimming, I would do it with a paper cutter and a corner cutter--not scissors! I just discovered the DIY gild your deck edges, and now I'm so excited about trimming the borders and gilding my tarot deck.

I'm curious about getting a professional cut at a printer's though, which is probably what I would prefer. What service would you ask for exactly? How do they do it exactly (ie. with a laser cut or just a fancier paper cutter)?

EDIT: I should specify that I live in Canada. So does anyone know print services in Canada that offers cutting/trimming? I don't think Kinko's does it. =/

Wintergreen

I just trimmed my Kitchen Tarot. The thick borders in colours complementary to the image just sucked the life out of them. Much better now... except that my corner rounder left notches in some of the corners. Has anyone had trouble with this? I cant remember the brand name, but its a small orange 1/8" rounder.

I want to trim my Mary-El, but I don't dare until I figure out what the problem is. I would go to a printer to have the trimming done, but some of the images are printed crooked, so I'd end up with some of the border showing.

AJ

those little notches happen when the point is not centered exactly in the slot.
Put them back in and re-punch, they will be fine.

Wintergreen

Hi AJ,
this worked in some cases but further mangled the card in others. I guess ot comes down to making sure its properly centered. I'm still insecure over chopping up my Mary-El. Gonna practice on something else... Chop-chop!

Debra

The trick is to turn the corner rounder upside down so you can see where the point of the card is centered. I also found that I couldn't correct the problem by re-doing it. I think the only solution is to re-round with a larger diameter corner, either by buying a larger-diameter corner rounder or using a cuticle scissor :)

*I miss FaireMaiden*

mahou_shoujo

This thread is a gift from heaven. Im 100% for trimming and rounding and just bought the items along with a Pamela Colemansmith deck that I may or may not desecrate. It has white borders.... -____-

I recently trimmed my Thoth deck with small scissors and It was a pain but It's wonderful now. However, i do prefer rounded corners. I dont know if I dare to try and round my Noblet, though.

strings of life

This thread is a gift from heaven. Im 100% for trimming and rounding and just bought the items along with a Pamela Colemansmith deck that I may or may not desecrate. It has white borders.... -____-

I recently trimmed my Thoth deck with small scissors and It was a pain but It's wonderful now. However, i do prefer rounded corners. I dont know if I dare to try and round my Noblet, though.
:) Isn't it?

Trimmer and corner rounder, forever.

Round your Noblet. It makes it a dream to handle. Do away with the pesky, sharp corners.