Experiments with "Eye Rhythms" in the Dodal

Elendil

Guess they are both protecting the cups, and their contents. from harm.

Herzog

Elendil said:
Guess they are both protecting the cups, and their contents. from harm.

That makes a lot of sense. One stands guard while the other defends and protects. Very nice

Elendil

Herzog said:
That makes a lot of sense.

Especially if a lot has been invested in the cups and their contents. The cups are protected in the image on their own card by those vine-like enclosures ('cultivated' around them) and since there are nine of them there has been abundant increase. None of this has happened without effort or engagement.

The phrase 'They will beat their swords into plowshares' (Isaiah 2:4) springs to mind...

FWIW.

Elendil

Rasa

maybe the knight and the king are the same person, younger and older versions?
I see the wise face of the king on the shoulder of the knight; it's already part of him, though he may not be listening to it.
The knight's sword is poised to pierce aggressively, a sharp tongue maybe? He doesn't know how to talk to people. The king holds it vertical; ready and proper, and gazes towards all those cups.. maybe the cups are also a part of him (the rhyming flowers on cups and clothing), maybe he is trying to not be overwhelmed by a lot of emotions or relationships. He is trying to process those emotional things with his mind and his words, but they threaten to overwhelm him.
His younger self might have ran away, but perhaps all those cups have piled up and can no longer be turned away from.

conversus

the most striking of the Rhymes to me is that the King and Knight are mirror images of each other--on two levels : one in repose ; one in action. The King bears Justice's Sword upright in his right hand, while the Knight bears his Sword in his Left. This suggests to me seriously focused effort.

The King sits enthroned <doing all that justice> while all the while cognizant of the emotional or spiritual fullness towards his left.

The King seems unusually flanked by heart-action.

The outcome ; the goal ; the prize ; the capital in question seems to be be great emotional/spiritual fullness.

Was there a model question posed?

CED

Edited to add : Rasa, I wish I had put it that way!

Rasa

thank you... and I like the way that you put it, too. :)

Le Fanu

conversus said:
Was there a model question posed?
erm... no. But isn't it amazing how just that juxtaposition of an upright sword then a tilting sword, on which much of this reading hangs, can be so full of significance? It is like the hinge of the whole reading, I think.

Elendil

Le Fanu said:
... isn't it amazing how just that juxtaposition of an upright sword then a tilting sword, on which much of this reading hangs, can be so full of significance?

A sword is a sword is a sword - but it is how it is used and for what it is used that counts...

Le Fanu

But just a slight tilt can mean so much.

Herzog

Le Fanu said:
But just a slight tilt can mean so much.

Absolutely. Once you point a sword at someone, you better plan on using it