Radiant Rider-Waite VS Hanson-Roberts

Scarlet Woodland

Well I've officially been enabled on the PCS in a tin but as it won't be out in the UK for ages...

Really want to see what people are saying about the radiant's facial expressions but struggling to find decent sized pictures.

Yelell

Well I've officially been enabled on the PCS in a tin but as it won't be out in the UK for ages...

I've seen them show up on ebay, though I don't know if shipping costs would be feasible.

Scarlet Woodland

I saw one pop up on Ebay and got all excited; then remembered I have a whole thing against Paypal from when I was a seller that I won't bore the world with. Tempting... but I try to stick to my principals, even if they are silly <grins>

Richard

......I wonder if the pocket version in the tin is any easier on the hands as I do like the antique look of this version......

The pocket Smith-Waite in a tin is definitely thinner and more flexible than the full sized deck that came in my PCS Commemorative set, which is rather thick and stiff. My arthritic hands can't riffle shuffle the standard deck, but it is easy with the new pocket deck.

I'll chime in on the Hanson-Roberts vs. Radiant. I definitely think the H-R is the lesser of the two evils.

The Smith-Waite Centennial has a subtlety and evocative ambience which to me is totally lacking in the in-your-face Radiant.

Scarlet Woodland

The pocket Smith-Waite in a tin is definitely thinner and more flexible that the full sized deck that came in my PCS Commemorative set, which is rather thick and stiff. My arthritic hands can't riffle shuffle the standard deck, but it is easy with the new pocket deck... The Smith-Waite Centennial has a subtlety and evocative ambience which to me is totally lacking in the in-your-face Radiant.

That seals in on the PCS tin for me, thankyou. Wish they'd just say when it will be released here, someone on that thread actually emailed them to ask and they still didn't say when, just where. Am more and more tempted to stick with my halloween till it's available.

lark

Neither..if you like the coloring of the Hanson Roberts then the Universal Waite might be a good choice
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/universal-waite/
She recolored the Waite deck using the same medium as she used in the Hanson Roberts deck.
Hanson Roberts is a favorite of mine and a nice deck to have, but if you are buying this deck to do a study with the Dusty White book I'd go with a version of the Rider Waite Smith.
The Radiant is my least favorite RWS version...all the faces look like they've had a Botox injection.

Cocobird55

My hands are small too. I may get the PCS in the tin.

Actually, my favorite RWS is the the Universal Waite. That's the one I learned with, so maybe I'm just being sentimental.

feynrir

Really want to see what people are saying about the radiant's facial expressions but struggling to find decent sized pictures.

AHAHA and that's how they get you. ;)

"Oh man, I really need to see these up close!

...AAAAAND now I need to not ever see them up close ever again"

RavenLuna

Chiming in with a vote for the Universal Waite, they have the hand-written titles on them. I have the mini Hanson-Roberts, but I prefer the UW. The H-R faces are a bit odd imho, and they are too large. Pretty colouring though! The Radiant on the other hand - those faces are a deal breaker for me :(

If it's for learning the RWS, I'd get a RWS, whatever the colouring was like.

As an aside, I intend to get the PCS in a tin whenever it gets over here. I don't know if you could wait though.