ancient italian tarot lo scarabeo different backs

Maan

I have been planning to buy the ancient italian tarot for a while now but i recently discovered there are two different versions.
One has a simple green and white back. The other one has this beautiful back design:

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/h.../e15/11356724_119153161756993_314747110_n.jpg

Does anyone have one of those versions and if so what is the isbn or publication date so i can get my hands on the one with the beautiful back design

Yelell

Mine has the pretty back design you pictured. The box says isbn-10 : 0738700266 isbn-13 978-0738700267. I don't know if the isbd changes with back design, or if the one I have is the most recent printing, however, as I got the deck second hand.

---- also, the LWB says 2010 copyright, but that probably doesn't help much

Maan

thank you so much Yelell. The bookdepository has two versions and the one with your isbn has the older publication date ( 2000 the other is 2002 ) im guessing the old one has the different backs.

Philistine

Mine have the same ISBN and LWB copyright info as Yelell's, and I have the same back design as well (that you are seeking). It was my understanding that the green and white back was actually the original, but it's interesting you are getting an older copyright date for the fancier back. Is it possible the ISBN does not necessarily correlate with the different backs? Unsure of how that works.

In reviewing bookdepository's listings, I see they are using the same stock image of the gold and green "brocade" printed box with the Regina di Coppe on the front for all ISBNs, but the edition I have is in a solid green box with Il Carro on the front (RdC on back) and a different typeface. In fact, mine looks like the box pictured on Amazon's listing of Ancient Italian Tarot by Cartiera Italiana (with a different ISBN) instead of Lo Scarabeo, even though the LoS logo is clearly on the box top . . . not that Amazon's listings ever disentangle the many reprintings, regional market distribution, and other publishing variations that decks and books can go through.

Yelell

I remembered someone posting that they had both decks with both cardbacks. You may want to ask them

Yeah, the LoS Ancient Italian had the green backs first. My later copy has the other ones, which are very nice.

Related: the LoS Classic Tarot has some pretty cool backs, too. I keep on meaning to trim this deck and edge it in a rust color to really make it pop.

I also like the Wild Unknown and Deviant Moon backs!

Le Fanu

I saw the new backed one on Instagram. It is stunning. However, I am still happy with my old green backs. I think they work nicely with the fronts. Not too instrusive. Dates on decks never help at all. I wish they'd sort them out and have a logical system like books. I have given up trying to date them. All I know is that I bought mine in 2002. I have bought a couple of copies since, both with the green backs.

While we're at it - the Crystal Tarot (Trevisan, LoS) also has new backs. Sort of gothic vaulting with the Moon card in the middle. Very nice. Much nicer than the blue peacock ones which I have.

Yelell

I saw the new backed one on Instagram. It is stunning. However, I am still happy with my old green backs. I think they work nicely with the fronts. Not too instrusive. Dates on decks never help at all. I wish they'd sort them out and have a logical system like books. I have given up trying to date them. All I know is that I bought mine in 2002. I have bought a couple of copies since, both with the green backs.

While we're at it - the Crystal Tarot (Trevisan, LoS) also has new backs. Sort of gothic vaulting with the Moon card in the middle. Very nice. Much nicer than the blue peacock ones which I have.

Do any of your green ones have the same isbn numbers? I do not know if this is a way to tell the difference between revised versions or not :confused: They revised the New Vision card backs also, apparently a few times, and not for the best either.

Nica

I have the green backed ones too, and prefer the newer backs. It was disappointing to get this deck recently and find the green backs.

Nica

I could not contain my curiosity, so I went to fish my box out. I discovered my card backs are actually not white and green, but green and gold?

http:// i60 . tiny pic . com / 2nlg2tz . jpg

The photo is hosted on tiny pic . For some reason my forum does not like it.

Here is a photo to refer to.

There is no date on my little white booklet.

Somebody I wrote to on Youtube that has the newer, more attractive backs said that they got it from Amazon as well. I am going to take a stab at it and try purchasing another one from Amazon tonight. Will report back with my findings!

To confirm, my box is also the green box. It has the Chariot on the front of the box, and Queen of Cups in the back.

The Happy Squirrel

I have had all three backs. One is the baroque black, red and green one pictured in the original post. That deck was brought into the local shop here last year (2014) for me because they didn't have the stock at the shop. I didn't like it as it felt out of sync with the period of the art work in the cards. So I traded it, and in the process obtained the green and white back. I then bought another set from that Italian online shop (forgot the name) also last year and received a green and orange-ish back. That one is my favourite. The last two backs feel more in line with the art work of this deck. Even though they probably aren't from the same era.