Kabbalistic Visions; The Marini-Scapini Tarot

Tarotwolf

The artwork is certainly fun and funky! At least from the few cards I've just seen. The keyword I'd like to stress is "funky". Think along the lines of bodily functions. Lets see - the Popess is doing an admirable job squirting milk from her breasts, the whale in the Hanged Man is spurting an entire rainbow from its blowhole, the Hermit's entire digestive tract is leaking some kind of liquid at the distal end, the Hermit appears to be excreting the elements of water and molten fire from his nether regions, and the Emperor is sitting atop his throne taking a leak down the dais! Goodness, I wonder what the rest of the deck has in store!

Obviously the artist has a sense of humor, it just struck me as really funny. It looks like an interesting deck.

nisaba

the Hermit's entire digestive tract is leaking some kind of liquid at the distal end, the Hermit appears to be excreting the elements of water and molten fire from his nether regions, ...
Obviously the artist has a sense of humor, it just struck me as really funny. It looks like an interesting deck.

<grin> But as anyone who has ever seen even just the *box* of the Bacchus deck knows, Scapini has a long and honourable history of having -er- *issues* with the Hermit card. He's perhaps not a Hermit-type ...

I still can't wait to get it.

<digs out sleeping bag and camps near mailbox>

<gets driven indoors by swarms of summer mosquitoes>

kwaw

Hermit-Yod-Virgo (rules intestines, digestive system).

"Virgo rules the intestines, where digestion is completed, and where the final selection is made between assimilable material and what is rejected as waste."

The Tarot by Paul Foster Case, p.112.

The idea of a medieval-like emphasis on somatic symbolism I find quite appealing, not quite sure I like the result too much in this case...

nisaba

Mine arrived about two minutes ago. Yeah, I know it's Sunday and they don't do deliveries on a Sunday: I have a Nosy Neighbour whose flat overlooks the letterboxes, he "looked after it for me" by taking it into his home on a day when I wasn't actually away, and has only just given it to me. Fortunately, its defences haven't been breached - he didn't open it. Otherwise, I'd have to Hunt Him Down And Kill Him. (I'm contemplating doing so anyway, for various other breaches of my privacy in the last few weeks).

I saw the shrink-wrapped packaging and my heart fell. My thoughts were pretty much "Oh, my, it's going to be the Universal Dali all over again, with an unjustifiable number of layers of bio-undegradable packaging." However, I opened the magnetised swing-lid of the box (always a nice feature), to find an entirely naked deck and book in the box, so it redeemed itself on the potential wastefulness immediately.

I'm happy with the size of the deck (but then, I can go decks from the size of my thumbnail to the size of a table-top), but I understand that a lot of people will find it too large for convenient shuffling, even people with much bigger hands than my little stubby ones. I love the wide, irregular-shaped black borders, different on every card (I just wish he's been as individual as that with the sandstone borders around his Stained Glass cards years ago!), and the fact that each image forms a scroll, with the name of the card on the rolled-up bit at the end of the scroll. I love the silver gilding on the edges, too. I have few decks with gilded edges - significantly more with gilded artwork - and the only other deck I have with silver-gilded edges is the Quantum Mach One, the Kunati publication. Silver always seems so much more luxurious than gold because of its relative rarity. All these things please and delight me for purely aesthetic reasons.

I've thumbed through the deck only once as it only arrived minutes ago, but a few things strike me. Firstly, the high-gloss lamination. This will make the images hard to see on a table with overhead lighting, unless I pick up each card as I talk about it, with all that reflected light. Sadly, where I read publicly has bright overhead lights, but that won't stop me taking it! I'll just have to handle each card pensively. :)

The Five Coins was reversed in my deck, which in traditional Tarot terms seems like a lovely affirmation of the positive flow of prosperity in my life in the last months; but in this deck it seems to be an image of hard work, which reversed also makes sense - the universe has been inexplicably making everything easier for me, lately, as well as more prosperous.

I have just peeked inside the companion-book, and to my delight and some surprise, I find it's not in Italian, it's in English. So I'll be reading it later on, purely for pleasure. I don't read Tarot books as a study or to get to know the decks, but as I would read a novel, for pure enjoyment.

I was quite extensively Kabbalistic in the late 1970s and early 1980s, but I've forgotten nearly all of it since I haven't used it very much since then. So my first impressions of the cards are not based on its theme at all, but on my personal experience of Tarot over the years. The Popess with her Venus-of-Willendorf figure and milky nipples, seems much more an Empress-figure than a Popess-figure. The Hanged Man, a city in the body of a dancing whale, seems much more in line with the Visconti World cards than any Hanged Man, even given the swinging pendulum overhead. Death, with the figures in the overflowing Cup, could be a bizarre and colourful Ace Cups. The Falling Tower, with a male figure standing at a table with objects on it, is the classic Magician image, while the World card with a great tower in its centre and a swirl of energy surrounding it, could be the classic Tower image. The Three Wands has six wands in its image. The Nine Wands would make a great Hanged Man. The Two Swords is pretty much how you'd expect a Two Cups to be, while the Five Swords reflects the idea of poverty inherit in the Five Coins.

Many other cards don't match RW imagery, but these are the ones that seem to match other cards in the RW system. To me, this deck will be immediately readable even without boning up on my QBL studies (which I think will come back to me fast if I make an effort), but there is a danger inherent on looking at the card titles and trying to use memorised meanings. Anyone who does that, will be thrown by this deck. If, however, you look at the images themselves, they are all evocative and full of power.

Once I've used the deck quite a bit and read the book, I'll be writing a proper review of it for the AT site. :)

Tarotwolf

Oh my goodness - this is one odd deck. I received the deck a few days ago and wanted to give it a few looks before commenting. The initial response I had is the same as now, it's an oddball. Notice I didn't say terrible. It's just so far from RWS that it's hard to read it as "tarot", although it most definitely is a tarot deck. My knowledge of Kabbala is minuscule so I'm sure much of the imagery is sailing right over my head. Even so, I can't imagine learning Kabbala with this deck. I'm surprised Schiffer published this as a mass market deck. It seems much more of a niche/art deck to me. What do others here think?

agviz

I've ordered it and it'll arrive in a few days, at which time I'm pretty certain I'll be thoroughly confused. I'm even confused why I bought it.

Le Fanu

I do wonder about Schiffer decks. I get the feeling they don't quite know what they're doing. Of course Scapini is what one could call I suppose a tarot luminary. I'm sure this is a deck with substance for those who are willing to put in the work, but even so, as Tarotwolf said above, one couldn't really learn kabbalah with this deck (from what I've seen, I'd agree). But then, as I say repeatedly; if I understood the Kabbalah, I'd be reading better with the Thoth deck, not dipping my toes into other decks. But that's just me.

This is really quite a bizarre deck. And for every great deck Schiffer publishes, there are nine that you truly wonder about... I wish they'd hire someone to closely look at and choose which decks to publish. Why can't I help feeling they don't have anyone on the team that does this? This one would be published anyway - if not by them, then by U.S Games perhaps (isn't Scapini a friend of Kaplan's) as I know Scapini is important. I'm sure it has its public. I don't think it's me though... I have enough decks to scratch my head at on a rainy day.

agviz

... I have enough decks to scratch my head at on a rainy day.

And I sometimes look for that very thing, a deck that's bizarre and challenging in such a way that I might gain some new perspective after fiddling with it. I'm not sure if this deck will do that. I'm curious enough about it to give it a shot.

Nika

kabbalistic visions; the Marini-Scapini Tarot

Hello, I wonder if some one who has purchased this deck can tell me how the readings are. I think of I shall buy it. Can find not much about it on the www. I have a very little background in Kabbala, and pretty much in biblical background, I hope you can tell me more..

Brammetje

The associations of the tarot cards and hebrew letters to the tree of life are identical to the golden dawn system (which at first view does not seem so apparant when viewing the cards).

The book includes a rather lengthy description of each card and the symbolism on it which I find really exciting.

This is a deck with a system and a (very personal) vision behind it (hence kabbalistic visions). It therefor is very original and contributes to the tarot in a very special way. I am very glad I purchased it, even though I had my doubts in the beginning.

It is a playfull (and perhaps even mind altering) alternative to golden dawn-like tarot decks.
My knowledge of the Golden Dawn and the kabbalah (or qabalah), is limited, but as I am getting older I am not worrying about what is the right system ... the only worry that Im left with is that I would become dogmatic and a "know it all".

That this deck is crazy and different therefor does not disturb me. I find it exciting.

The artwork is consistent and gives the deck a unique personality and feel to it.