Kabbalistic Visions; The Marini-Scapini Tarot

Brammetje

And I sometimes look for that very thing, a deck that's bizarre and challenging in such a way that I might gain some new perspective after fiddling with it. I'm not sure if this deck will do that. I'm curious enough about it to give it a shot.

I think this is the perfect deck for that. Its the reason I bought it.

nisaba

This is a deck with a system and a (very personal) vision behind it (hence kabbalistic visions). It therefor is very original and contributes to the tarot in a very special way.

I don't think, having owned it for some time, that Scapini intended the deck as one that a beginner could learn Kabbalah from. I think he intended it as one that has subterranean Kabbalistic layers that an expert will notice and work with. :)

but as I am getting older I am not worrying about what is the right system ... the only worry that Im left with is that I would become dogmatic and a "know it all".

That is a very healthy attitude with which to approach not only Tarot but life generally, in my opinion.

That this deck is crazy and different therefor does not disturb me. I find it exciting.

I don't actually find it crazy at all. To me, it has a perceptiveness and raw honesty that is anything but crazy.

The artwork is consistent and gives the deck a unique personality and feel to it.

Yes, Scapini leaves his unique stylistic fingerprints on every deck he has designed, perhaps every sketch he's ever made. I really, really like certain fixed aspects of his artistic style. But then, that'd be why I've collected several of his decks ...

EmpyreanKnight

Ah, but I have never been so thoroughly enabled for quite some time. This deck is a thing of beauty. I shall be getting myself a set.

Gorgeous cards from one of my favorite artists. Plus the book seems like it is nothing to sniff at. Being bit of a neophyte to the Kabbalah, perhaps the potent brew of Scapini's lustrously-hued visionary art and the book's erudition will help me wade into its deeper waters.

rylla

Reading all these wonderful comments I am tempted (again) to buy this set. I had my eyes on it for a long time; each time I see the Hermit card on the net I am putting off buying the deck. How do you feel about this card?

Attachments

• 0 (10).jpg
    0 (10).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 94

EmpyreanKnight

Reading all these wonderful comments I am tempted (again) to buy this set. I had my eyes on it for a long time; each time I see the Hermit card on the net I am putting off buying the deck. How do you feel about this card?

I am a Virgo, so I'm a bit particular about the Major Arcana card it associates with. The first time I saw this Hermit card, with the candle and rose, I was thinking of someone having a classy cannibalistic dinner, about to dive into the main course. It would be solitary rather than romantic though, because it's the Hermit card here. Chianti and fava beans anyone?

The Hermit-Yod-Virgo explanation above ties in rather neatly with the image, and since it is consistent with the deck's art, and since I do like gorefests, especially the New French Extremity, I found it rather charming. It would be sad if this is the only card that would turn you away from such a lovely deck. It might help though if you've got the actual card explanation from the book, so that you would know whether the image does fit the card's message and make it more palatable (pardon the pun). I would do it immediately once I get the set, but since I'm only about to order it in my local bookstore, which takes weeks to deliver overseas merchandise, it might take a bit of time.

IHeartRescues

Hermit-Virgo here

That card puzzled me for a minute until i remembered that Virgo ruled the digestive tract. So maybe that's the symbology, or part of it. Is that a little angry pink DRAGON in those intestines??? Aaaanyway upon seeing this deck a few days ago, I went looking immediately! And the raves about the book didn't hurt neither. (yep pretty lightening-fast enabling here also!) Now I MIGHT have waited longer (or not) but somebody had it listed for a singsong, so it's on its way fm the US to the US. Now that's soyviss. And I live in a remote city=town. I do love our postal delivery infrastructure here o boy i do indeed i do.

What I will do with it? I have NO IDEA.

rylla

Thank you EmpyreanKnight and IHeartRescues. It's not that I can't relate to the meaning of Hermit (beside what you said I can also explain to myself that the Hermit "digest" info internally, etc); -while for me it is hard to 'digest' this card aesthetically :). My first impression wouldn't be: oh, the wisdom of Hermit - but a digestive system. Luckily I don't read professionally, wondering what my customers would think about it if I were. Otherwise I do like this deck very much, maybe I can learn to get past this.

Brammetje

I don't actually find it crazy at all. To me, it has a perceptiveness and raw honesty that is anything but crazy...

Im sorry, I absolutely did not mean to use the word "crazy" in a condescending way!
I feel that there is humor, originality and playfullness in this deck that seems to make it unique as a kabbalistic tarot. Perhaps crazy wisdom would have been a better description.

IHeartRescues

rylla

First off I need to acknowledge that Tarotwolf and kwaw on pg 3 of this thread commented before I, about the symbolism of the Hermit card, but I was so busy tracking an avail deck down I hadn't gotten to reading the thread yet when I commented! I mean I THOUGHT I had read it but...? LOL

Anyway I rec'd my KV a few days ago and I think it is really interesting (it's a Scapini!) and beautiful. You said you used to own it? Well I am very glad I do now. And such BRIGHT silvered edges! And lots of details to discover plus am loving the COLORS--so varied and rich. Great magnetic box the size of the Mary-EL i think. Oh and the cardstock is very similar also, which is a bummer...

LOVE the humor all over this deck and I don't even understand it yet!

But the MOST important aspect of receiving this deck for me, is that I have finally dug out my books on the Kabbala (and the BoTh) and am going to finally do my best to grasp the Tree of Life, Crowley, (and read the Zohar translated). I am FINALLY ready to delve in. I can read Arabic so this should make it easier. Time for a broader world view that can sustain me (and am pretty sure the structure of early tarot as it has come down to us, has a direct correlation to the world of mystical Hebraic cosmology) So this was actually the best part as it just tipped me in that direction :)

IHR