Deck of 1000 Spreads—New Spreadcrafting Tool

RunningWild

this whole thing is such a waste of money to me - why cant you do this without the 1000 spread deck?

Because it's fun. Because "we" can.

Some people use the celtic cross and only the celtic cross forever and ever. Some like to create new spreads for specific situations. The Deck of 1000 Spreads helps do that. It helps as a reminder and a focus during a reading. I don't use it all the time but every once in a while I want to try something new and this deck helps to keep me out of a reading rut.

nicky

From earlier in the thread:

I'm sorry Lee - are you re-posting for any particular reason?

I assume I am able to have a different opinion and post as well.

bogiesan

this whole thing is such a waste of money to me - why cant you do this without the 1000 spread deck?

Did you waste your money?
Trying to protect me from wasting mine?

Friend of mine has this set. We enjoyed playing with the many colorful items and exploring the features. She's reading the book and enjoying the challenge of realizing her normal set of spreads is a bit limited.

Will I buy a copy of my own? Probably not, I'm not taking my tarot down this particular path, but I would not object if someone GAVE me a copy. It's fascinating ideas like this spreadcrafting thingy that keep tarot fresh and challenging the most experienced practitioners to rethink their previously ironclad convictions.

Lee

I'm sorry Lee - are you re-posting for any particular reason?

I assume I am able to have a different opinion and post as well.
You asked a question:
why cant you do this without the 1000 spread deck?
My previous post provided information that you asked for, i.e. what I found helpful about the deck which I wouldn't have been able to do without it. You're welcome.

nicky

You asked a question:

My previous post provided information that you asked for, i.e. what I found helpful about the deck which I wouldn't have been able to do without it. You're welcome.

Got ya - and thanks.

I have been creating my own spreads for some long I forget that some people cannot for some reason. To me the whole thing looked like a silly art project gone bad :)

schmedrake

People can craft spreads without the Deck of 1000 Spreads, but there are things you can do with it that you can't do without a tool like this or some sort of system.

Professionals can photograph spreads for email readings and the spread is all labeled for the querent in a professional manner. They can also use their labeled spreads in face to face readings to help the querent know what position the card they're reading is in, thereby involving them more in the reading.

People who don't craft their own spreads can learn how with this deck. In fact, everyone can create a custom spread for any question rapidly using this system...faster than someone crafting a spread by writing the positions on paper and arranging them in the right shape and order... and with less effort.

And one of the coolest features is that you can randomly draw cards and "divine" a spread, letting the universe decide positions as it does tarot cards.

That said, it's not for everyone, Nicky. No product is. And this clearly isn't right for you. But I (the creator) appreciate your feedback.

For the person wanting to know if there would be a sequel, I would like that and am collecting ideas for a "completer pack" that could have even more cards than the original, but I'm not sure if Llewellyn is on board for that yet.

For any who are not aware, I have a Deck of 1000 Spreads Facebook page you can search for and a site at www.1000spreads.com. I only update the site with new ideas, so it hasn't been updated lately, but what's there can help you have even more fun with the deck. :)

danieljuk

you make a good point and I wondered this when I bought it. I wrote that in my review comment earlier in the thread! I really don't regret buying it or spending money on it after getting it.

I know the positions of the celtic cross and can do it without prompt but using the cards as placeholders really is interesting for me visually. It seems to make everything clearer when then looking at the symbols of the cards. I always use it now for the CC.

Also the book that comes with it has all those 1000 spreads in it, where to put the placeholders and has given me new suggestions for spreads. You can also make your own.

someone suggested on here that you could do a random spread by picking cards from each pile of type (the cards are colour coded with different spread sections like outcome/ action /etc).

I really don't regret buying it but if it's not for you, it's something not for you. I haven't seen a negative review from anyone who has bought it so far :)

ana luisa

Of course one can create countless spreads. But sometimes, you just need the universe to create a spread for you. Having the titles appear at random is great for those days when your mind is "all over the place" and you can't quite think of good definitions or titles. :)

Chronata

I'm with ana luisa...this is a great "random" deck to use for readings for myself, by pulling cards unseen, and then combining them with whatever tarot or oracle I have nearby...

Because sometimes I don't know what exactly I need to know...you know? :D

Nemia

I bought it and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I was always interested in spreads and have a huge collection in my Evernote files. I use spreads from books, the Internet, and I design my own. I decided to buy this deck for a number of reasons. One of them is to study spreadcrafting more in depth, what works and what doesn't.

I always prefer smaller spreads which I "milk" for all they're worth. Many people around here love three card spreads and so do I, but I love four card spreads even more. I want to use the deck of 1000 spreads to develop more ideas.

I also love Mary Greer's idea of permutations - after interpreting a spread, you start moving the cards around. I imagine that I can do these things much more easily and creatively with the help of this deck.

Another thing I wish to do is use the deck for training. Taking a position card and going through a tarot deck, reading each card in this position. "Negative influences" - and then trying to see what this means for every single card. I feel that this can really help me focus on every card and learning many new aspects of my cards and decks.

There are some decks I hardly use - the Jungian, the Margarethe Petersen (which is gorgeous but somehow doesn't really speak to me). I want to approach them anew, and I want to use the deck of 1000 spreads to help me get a new grasp on them. Help me bring them alive for me.

I'll let you know how this works out. But I have a very good feeling about this deck. I read every single review and it seems that everybody who bought it loved it.

Of course theoretically one could make one's own deck. But the way I see it, the creator put her insight and the result of many years of tarot reading and spread crafting into her deck and offers it to others. It was her idea. So there are things in this deck I couldn't have thought of and didn't. That's why it interests me. I can still design my own spreads without it if I want to. But I'll have a new tool in my tarot tool box. And that's exciting :)