Deck of 1000 Spreads—New Spreadcrafting Tool

Nemia

Explanation: Permutations

The last exercise is based on the idea of permutations as put forward by Mary Greer. Bear with me while I explain this idea.

In her book "Tarot for Yourself" Mary Greer dedicates chapter 6 to a technique she calls permutations. The principle is that once you understood the cards at their positions, you can now start to re-arrange and move them around in order to reach a deeper understanding of their meaning.

"Each permutation gives a different perspective on the whole. The principle: maintain paradoxes, seek ambiguity." (page 117)

Greer gives examples. If you take the cross part of the Celtic Cross, you can move the cards in a circle. You rotate the arms of the cross in a circular motion, each time interpreting the same cards on their new positions. You get new insights on the seeds of action in the past or unconscious, new ideas about taking action in the future. The energies of the cards become much clearer.

"You can actually watch the wheel of events turn before you and see how the past becomes the present, and how the future is another way of seeing the past. You may wonder how you know whether you are reading what is past or to come. Try reading the cards both ways! Let your intuition tell you." (page 119).

This technique is much easier and more inspiringly done with the deck of 1000 spreads. You keep the spread cards and move around the reading deck and let this wheel of time move in front of you.

Greer gives more examples of how to use permutations in different spreads. She always encourages to open the mind, just like the Deck of 1000 Spreads, so they're a perfect fit.

So here we go.

Exercise: the Celtic Wheel with Permutations

The Celtic Wheel is a simplified version of the good old Celtic Cross, very useful for getting a quick overview over a situation.

I use the Golden Tarot by Kat Black, and on a little post-it note add the date and the basic facts of the reading. How wonderful! I used to write it all down in a little booklet but now I can transfer it easily to Evernote and keep there forever.

I interpret the spread, in the well-known way and in light of my personal situation. And now, when I'm done and feel that I understood it perfectly, I rotate cards around the Heart of the Matter. (I could have changed that too and might do so if I continue to do permutations of this spread – at this stage, I find it challenging enough to get the maximum content out of the cards I pulled!)

And I interpret again. New and sometimes surprising insights emerge.

Yes, I can do this without the Do1000S cards and have done so many times. But the position's title in print helps my concentration. And while I know the Celtic Wheel pretty much by heart – what about other spreads, spreads I create myself? I'd find myself in a muddle in no time.

The position names keep me on track and focused. They help me to get the maximum out of every single card.

In short, this deck is all I hoped it would be, and I see a long and fruitful cooperation in my future.

I hope it's okay that I posted this long post, partitioned into single posts, and I hope it's not unreadable.

EightWands

Great review, Carla! I've heard the "distraction" thing a few times. And the color thing a couple of times...I did that to make learning spreadcrafting easier for beginners, though from what I'm hearing and seeing, I'm not sure how many beginners are actually buying the deck. It seems to be appealing to a more savvy audience.

BUT I LOVE your adaptation. Can I put that on my site? That's such a good idea! And I'd love to put a link to your review there, too, if that's ok.

And I laughed when you said you'd never use the Card of the Day card. I have no excuses for that...you're right. :D

Im not a beginner but Ive always had trouble with spreads. Please don't change the lettering for the spread card. Im a wordy person and I love having the name of the position showing. Those who want to hide it can, but please leave it for those who do like it. :) I don't find it distracting at all.

Just got this deck night before last, and am looking forward to using it! What a brilliant idea! And yes INCLUDING the "card of the day" card. That can actually be the name of a position within a spread, with a little improvising.

Basically, from what I see so far, don't change a thing.. except add more blank cards. :)

schmedrake

Wow, Nemia. Thanks for all of that. I'll dig into this over the weekend and put up new posts. Again, thank you. Really good thoughts here. :)

Thanks EightWands. The words on the card wouldn't change. No worries. If there is ever an opportunity for changes, it would be creating a supplemental deck. I haven't looked into that yet. Be sure to go over to www.1000spreads.com and read the posts. There's all sorts of added info there. :)

Nemia

I hope there's something in it for you - in spite of the horribly high word count :-(

I love your deck and use it daily for myself and others (I do readings for friends and family only).

schmedrake

Nemia!! Thank you so much! I put all five of your exercises in separate posts and you can see them at www.1000spreads.com. I only did a tad of editing on one of them. They were very clearly written and illustrated. Thank you so much! I really love the permutations and the way you used the Star in different positions. :)

Nemia

Schmedrake, I'm happier than happy! You gave me (and certainly others) so much, it's only fair to give you back a bit. I continue to use your deck every day. It's great and keeps my readings on track. Can't recommend it highly enough!

schmedrake

Thank you so much! :)

Pixna

I love, love, love this deck! What a fabulous concept -- practical, innovative, and inspiring! Is there any chance for a sequel of additional cards? I could envision at least two or three more decks with "new" cards that we could mix and match for readings.

Thank you so much for creating this absolutely terrific addition to the world of the Tarot!

rivergum

Nemia!! Thank you so much! I put all five of your exercises in separate posts and you can see them at www.1000spreads.com. I only did a tad of editing on one of them. They were very clearly written and illustrated. Thank you so much! I really love the permutations and the way you used the Star in different positions. :)

I popped over to see Nemia's ideas for using the 1000 spreads decks on the blog and some of the other posts. Great way to explore cards and their meanings.

ann823

Such great ideas! What is the deck shown on the cover of the box?