The Happy Birthday Layout

Crystelle

by Christine Jette
Rarely does the tarot give specific instructions, such as "Move to Rhode Island and open a metaphysical shop." But the tarot does offer a sense of what we need, the right direction to go for our greatest good. The Happy Birthday layout can be used any time you want to align yourself with the stars--your unique astrological portrait.

This layout is in the shape of a birthday candle, (I'm afraid you'll have to use your imagination), and it helps illuminate your life path. Visualize card one in a horizontal position as the base of the candle, cards two through six represent the candle itself, and card seven completes the taper as the flame.

**7**

Choose your Ruling Planet Card, Polarity Card and Sun Sign Card from the list below. Place them face up in positions one, four and seven as shown in the diagram above.

Note: Even though the ruling planet of the the Ascendant (Rising sign) is said to be the ruler of the birth chart, this layout concerns itself with your Sun Sign. Therefore, use the tarot card that corresponds to the ruling planet of your Sun Sign.

For example, you are Aries Sun and Scorpio Rising. According to the list below, you would choose The Tower, not Judgment, because Mars is the ruler of Aries, and The Tower symbolizes Mars. Judgment is the card for Pluto, ruling planet of Scorpio.

If you know your Rising Sign and want to be creative, use both tarot cards in position one: the card for your Sun Sign ruling planet, and the card of your Ascendant's ruling planet, that is, the ruling planet of your birth chart. In the example above, you would place the Tower (Mars, ruler of Aries) and Judgment (Pluto, ruler of Scorpio) in position one.

Then look for any conflicts and compatibilities of the two cards as you do the layout. For instance, how does the Tower interact with Judgment? What is the conflict or complement of energy? Don't old forms have to fall (The Tower) before the karmic slate can be cleared (Judgment)?

Shuffle the remaining cards, concentrating on any concerns that you now want answered. (If it is actually your birthday, be sure to make a wish!) When you are ready, randomly select four cards face down and place them in positions two, three, five and six, as shown in the diagram above.

Turn the four cards over and read the layout as follows:

Position 1 My Ruling Planet Card:
(From the list below)

The driving energy of the layout. All other cards are read in relationship to it. How you express the different facets of your personality in the rest of the layout.

If you like the card, it means you are comfortable with its energy and know how to use it for growth. If you do not like the card, it indicates an area that needs your attention because it is the dominant energy around you. Best to make friends with it, or at least be attuned to the lessons it has to offer you.

Position 2 My Strengths:
Where you shine, your talents and abilities. Where the energy flows without resistance. What to keep and nurture because it makes you strong.

If you like the card, you are using its energy to its highest potential. If the card makes you uncomfortable, it indicates an area that is blocked and needs work. If you work with the message of this card, it will release its energy and make you strong.

Position 3 My Challenges:
Your life lessons or energy blocks. What you need to face in order to grow. Areas where you get stuck and may keep repeating.

If you like this card, try reading it in its reversed or shadow form. Maybe you are getting too much of a good thing? For example, the Sun comes up here. What could be wrong with that? Well, plenty, if its golden rays are giving you sunburn or burnout. Being comfortable with this card can also mean you are facing your challenges head-on and doing the work you need to do.

If you don't like the card, it indicates an area (block) where you know you need work to release its energy for growth.

Position 4 My Polarity Card, The Sister Sign:
(From the list below)

The opposite of you and it shows your dual nature. What you need to draw towards you and attract in order to feel complete.

Polarity, your opposite sign, is your "sister sign" because the energy is like your own Sun Sign in a complementary way. This is the duality, or balance, of you.

The card may make you uncomfortable because it feels foreign to you. It may even feel like your "evil twin," but rest assured, this card is you--the other half of you. If you like the card, you are incorporating its energy into your life.

The question to ask yourself is: What do I need to learn and incorporate into my life (for balance) from the meaning of this card?

Position 5 What is my birthday wish?
This card gives focus to your deepest desires and hopes, the true direction on your life path because your dreams and desires come from your Higher Self, a sacred part of you.

If you like this card it means you are on the right track for the fullest expression of your Sun Sign. If the card makes you uncomfortable, it indicates the energy that is standing in your way. You will have to deal with its energy (the block) before your sacred dreams can become reality.

Position 6 The Next Step (The Future):
Where do you go from here? The next step on your life path for the fullest expression of your Sun Sign personality.

If you like this card, be glad and look forward to the next adventure.

If this card makes you uncomfortable, it indicates a possible upcoming life lesson. While the life lesson may be no fun, it will offer you wisdom and make you strong.

Position 7 My Sun Sign Card, The Essence of Me:
(From list below)

What you were put here to learn, the focal point of this life time. The Sun Sign card is in the flame of the candle because it shows your true nature and represents your Spirit. It remains constant throughout the year. It illuminates your conscious purpose, your drive to achieve goals, and the "You" you know yourself to be.

Bottom line: Do you like this card? How comfortable are you with yourself?

Putting It All together:

Look at cards one, four and seven. Do you see relationships or conflicts between the driving energy of your layout (Ruling Planet card), your Sister Sign (Polarity card), and the essence of you (the Sun Sign card)?

How can you use cards two (Strengths), three (Challenges), five (Wishes), and six (The Next Step), to align yourself with the essence of your Sun Sign personality for its fullest expression?

For added depth, read a description of your Ruling Planet, Polarity Sign and Sun Sign in a basic astrology book. The relationships of the specific tarot card meanings and their corresponding Signs and Planets are amazingly similar.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

TAROT CARDS FOR:
Ruling Planet, Polarity: Your Sister Sign, and Sun Sign

Dates vary slightly depending on your reference. Your birthday may fall on a transition day of one sign to another. If so, please refer to a basic astrology book for information about being born on the cusp.

ARIES (March 21 - April 19)

Ruling Planet Mars (The Tower)
Polarity: Libra (Justice)
Sun Sign Card (The Emperor)

TAURUS (April 20 - May 20)

Ruling Planet Venus (The Empress)
Polarity: Scorpio (Death)
Sun Sign Card (The Hierophant)

GEMINI (May 21 - June 20)

Ruling Planet Mercury (The Magician)
Polarity: Sagittarius (Temperance)
Sun Sign Card (The Lovers)

CANCER (June 21 - July 22)

Ruling Planet Moon (The High Priestess)
Polarity: Capricorn (The Devil)
Sun Sign Card (The Chariot)

LEO (July 23 - August 22)

Ruling Planet Sun (The Sun)
Polarity: Aquarius (Star)
Sun Sign Card (Strength)

VIRGO (August 23 - September 22)

Ruling Planet Mercury (The Magician)
Polarity: Pisces (The Moon)
Sun Sign Card (The Hermit)

LIBRA (September 23 - October 22)

Ruling Planet Venus (The Empress)
Polarity: Aries (The Emperor)
Sun Sign Card (Justice)

SCORPIO (October 23 - November 21)

Ruling Planet Pluto (Judgment)
Polarity: Taurus (Hierophant)
Sun Sign Card (Death)

SAGITTARIUS (November 22 - December 21)

Ruling Planet Jupiter (Wheel of Fortune)
Polarity: Gemini (The Lovers)
Sun Sign Card (Temperance)

CAPRICORN (December 22 - January 19)

Ruling Planet Saturn (The World)
Polarity: Cancer (The Chariot)
Sun Sign Card (The Devil)

AQUARIUS (January 20 - February 18)

Ruling Planet Uranus (The Fool)
Polarity: Leo (Strength)
Sun Sign Card (The Star)

PISCES (February 19 - March 20)

Ruling Planet Neptune (Hanged Man)
Polarity: Virgo (The Hermit)
Sun Sign Card (The Moon)

a_shikhs

Hi Crystelle,
i like your birthday spread.. It is very different and unique..I will definately try it out on my bday this feb.. :) Thanks ..

PulchraElectri

Awesome!

I've seen so many posts that have been talking about using the tarot for your horoscope sign and it confused me sooo bad. Thank you so much for posting this on here. I'm so glad I found it!!

Myrrha

Thanks for posting this. I used it for my birthday reading and it was helpful. This seems like it would be a good one to use year after year because three of the cards will always be the same and you can see how you express these same cards and how the new influences play off them.

merissa_88

Thanks Crystelle!

My birthday is in a few weeks. I'll have to give this spread a try.

rachelcat

My son's birthday is Friday. Maybe I can convince him to let me read for him with this!

Since position 1 is supposed to be the candle holder, I like the idea of using the sun sign ruling planet and the rising sign ruling planet together as the base of the reading.

And maybe you could use the sun sign and rising sign together as the flame, too.

(Modifying spreads is my hobby. At least today.)

Carla

Today is my birthday and I will try out this spread! Thanks for posting! :)

Eyebright

Excellent spread, I will be trying this out in a short while! :D