The shadowscapes Tarot

Inkscape

Le Fanu said:
How explicitly, hardcore "faerie" is the Shadowscapes? Any guys out there who like it?

I had written out a very long response and my computer ate it. So you get the barebones version.

I'm a guy. I don't particularly like hardcore faeire things. I like this deck. Is it feminine? Yes. Is it explicitly faerie? No. It's easy to FIND Fey imagery, if that's what you're looking for, but the deck is more a blend of Celtic and Asian, of mythology and folklore. It's whimsical. However much that translates to faerie, as opposed to fantasy in general, I'll leave to your discretion.

If you don't like nature, animals (especially birds), and butterflies strewn about your cards, don't get the deck.

MidnightSoul

My Shadowscapes deck just arrived this morning, and I am almost dumbstruck with awe at her achievement. And even though the deck is standard sized, you CAN see even the finest of detail.

It is RWS, Asian Celtic blend. It is niether masculine nor feminine.... it is something new. Full of animals, birds, butterflies, and all sorts of beasts both mythical and real. I highly recommend it.

Le Fanu

Inkscape said:
I had written out a very long response and my computer ate it. So you get the barebones version.

I'm a guy. I don't particularly like hardcore faeire things. I like this deck. Is it feminine? Yes. Is it explicitly faerie? No. It's easy to FIND Fey imagery, if that's what you're looking for, but the deck is more a blend of Celtic and Asian, of mythology and folklore. It's whimsical. However much that translates to faerie, as opposed to fantasy in general, I'll leave to your discretion.

If you don't like nature, animals (especially birds), and butterflies strewn about your cards, don't get the deck.
Thank you inkscape. I wish I could have read the post your computer ate. I have been on the fence so long with this deck, um-ing & aahing, should I, shouldn't I? Is it me? But I just went and had a long, studied look at the cards and I decided to order it.

I'm not normally this indecisive! But with this one I was curious and I bet it will be one of the favourites in the end of year vote, so I have to know what I'm talking about! :D

I like the swans...

Le Fanu

Oh and has anyone posted the actual measurements on this - or any other - thread?

Could someone tell me how big the cards are and how big the actual images are?

IheartTarot

Measurements

Le Fanu said:
Could someone tell me how big the cards are and how big the actual images are?

Cards: 117mm x 70mm

tarotlaura

Okay, I caved and bought this deck...and I love it!!! Actually I find that the deck for me anyway was quite chatty which is really good. After looking at the whole deck, there is not one card in there that I don't like. But my faves have to be the lovers card and the Hermit. I love how he sits on the faery stone with the hole in it...actually it reminds me of the magic mirror from Romper Room. I don't have enough good things to say about this deck. For me anyway it was an awesome purchase and well worth it.

Le Fanu

IheartTarot said:
Cards: 117mm x 70mm
Thank you! But - wow - that's small!! At first I hoped it would be MRP size. Then after comments here I thought it would be mass market Legacy of the Divine size, but in reality it's probably smaller...

MidnightSoul

Lwellyn has exact size cards, all the same size. No ifs, and, or buts. So by going with that publisher, she got stuck on the standard size.

One small note of dissapointment. I had expected a nice bag and a lay diagram for beginners. No such luck. All you get is the cards (beyond gorgious for fans of asian animal art) and Dame Barbara Moore's accompanying book. The book itself is worth the admission price.

Cheapest place to buy, and fastest to ship is Amazon.com. I ordered and got them inside 3 days time with no extra shipping cost to hasten the day, just the lowest standard shipping rate.

Inkscape

Le Fanu: :laugh: I remember seeing your name in a few of the shadowscapes threads, asking after it. I wish you could have read my other post too! But I'm glad you decided to pick it up nonetheless. I hope you like it as much as the rest of us seem to. FYI: You can see all of the cards on Stephanie's Site, http://www.shadowscapes.com/Tarot/cardsmain.php?suit=0, if you haven't already.

TarotLaura: I felt the same way, about the deck wanting to talk to me... my first reading with it was a New Deck Interview. It was so positive and encouraging, like we were meant to be together :D

As for the size of the cards: this is my first tarot deck, so it's BIG to me :laugh: I'm used to poker cards (which I also read with). I think I'd have a problem shuffling with a deck much larger.

Open Arms

My copy just arrived to day and I love it.

It shuffles like a dream, not too much slip and the book (slightly smaller than A5 size) is wonderful. Each card has a full page illustration in black and white with the card description on the next page/s. Each card has a story attached and the meanings. My only beef is that the full page illustrations are not in colour.

Some of the images are not what you may normally expect for particular cards in a RWS deck but the meaning is still there and the symbolism is intricate and requires thinking and consideration.

Glorious!!