beautiful tarot cloths

Taamar

Sulis, I love your bags! Where do you get the wonderful prints?

Sulis

Taamar said:
Sulis, I love your bags! Where do you get the wonderful prints?
Hi Tamar,

All over the place really but mainly from online fabric stores. I only use 100% cotton, cotton velvet and dupion silk (the thick stuff), I never use man-made fabrics and all the beads I use are glass, metal or wood. I really like hunting for fabrics and beads so if someone wants a special bag and has an idea of what they want I'll hunt around and see what I can find for them.

Dusk Till Dawn

I am sorry, cross posted with Sulis.

Le Fanu

Open Arms said:
all I had to do was hem it.
How nice to be able to hem! I have enough wonderful bags for the favourites in my collection right now and can vouch for Sulis' bag. I'm a big fan.

I'm always on the lookout for spreadcloths. Sometimes you're lucky and can find nice vintage silk scarves and the like at 2nd hand/vintage clothes stores (I'm not one for consecrating/cleaning stuff but these I do clean)! As I can't even hem, I have bought bits of felt before to read on. What I would really like is a nice soft suede reading cloth. I've been on the look out for suede jackets at the flea market to cut up, but it would be nice if it were hemmed. Not quite sure how to go about this...

I've been using some very nice small, thickish dupion silk squares for sale at the holistic shop. Just big enough to fold once and roll deck & bag in.

Open Arms

I wouldn't hem it per se, but perhaps fold some ribbon around the edge (think of the old style satin ribbon binding around baby blankets) and sew that down to neaten the edge.

I love the idea of suede (looks at her old leather jacket now wayyyy too small)... hmmm....

BlueDragonfly

Le Fanu said:
I'm always on the lookout for spreadcloths.
Next time you're in one of those vintage shops, look at old, large dinner napkins. Square, hemmed....voila! I've even embroidered a border on one. Love 'em!

What I would really like is a nice soft suede reading cloth. I've been on the look out for suede jackets at the flea market to cut up, but it would be nice if it were hemmed. Not quite sure how to go about this...

You wouldn't really need to hem a piece of suede. It wouldn't get frayed edges.

You have contacts in the fashion industry, yes? See if anyone could point you in the direction of a manufacturer/supplier.

Le Fanu

BlueDragonfly said:
Next time you're in one of those vintage shops, look at old, large dinner napkins. Square, hemmed....voila!
I have quite a few napkins for spreadcloths; they're ideal!

I've been picking over old suede jackets at the flea market to cut up, but there's always stitching in the wrong place (what I need is one with a plain back; mine has not got fancy stitching on the back, but I like it and it wasn't cheap and I don't want to get the scissors out yet!)

I suppose I could look a bit harder;Ive only just started looking to be honest. A friend of mine went to Morocco and brought back some beautiful, soft leather cushion covers which I saw and thought "OMG tarot bag/reading cloth! Want!" The leather was so soft and beautiful to the touch! If I'd have known I'd have asked him to bring me a few back.

Morwenna

Hmm... maybe when I'm at the Pennsic War in August I should check out the leather dealers for a nice piece... :) I've seen some really nice stuff in the past that I passed up because I couldn't think of a use!

ETA: all leather is dyed. All. And I can't help wondering if said dye would come off on the cards... I do know for a fact that leather shoes, when wet, leach the dye onto your socks/hose/feet! Socks, hose, and feet are washable. 'Nuff said. :D

gregory

Ask MiShell - she makes and uses gorgeous leather pouches.

And when did your leather pants last bleed on your legs ??? })

Morwenna

gregory said:
Ask MiShell - she makes and uses gorgeous leather pouches.

And when did your leather pants last bleed on your legs ??? })

Never. I don't wear leather pants. :)

But come to think of it, my jacket hasn't bled either. So what's with all those shoes??