Your first deck?

pyrogyne

Something that I find fascinating about Tarot readers is the impact that a deck of cards has on us, usually for a lifetime, and a first deck is like a rite of passage (congratulations to nansee and any others acquiring their firsts!).

What was your first deck, and how did it influence the kind of reader you are today?

My first was the Osho Zen Tarot; having that as my first deck made learning more standard decks a little more difficult later, but whenever I think of *why* I read Tarot, I think of that deck.

cheers,
pyrogyne

Carla

My first deck was the Osho Zen. I quickly realised I needed a traditional foundation (plus some aspects of the Osho Zen bothered me; the negativity in the swords suit...), so bought the Universal Waite. Next came Legacy of the Divine, then Morgan Greer, then 'the' one that clinched it for me, the Anna K. After that, it all becomes a bit of a blur, but when I want the comfort deck that is easy to read, it's Anna K. (But since I got the Druidcraft, they are neck and neck...)

Amanda

*Technically* I got a Lord of the Rings tarot deck first. But I didn't use it for tarot. I used it for the game.

When I started with tarot for the purpose of tarot, I got a Rider-Waite deck. I don't know how it has effected my readings honestly. Probably not much, because I have such eclectic, mix/matchy tastes with things. If a Sweet Twilight LWB meaning seems to come to me when I'm using the Rider-Waite, so be it! I just let things flow however...

One of my friends' parents got him an Original Rider Waite, and I was kind of jealous. Honestly, I wish my parent's would have bought me that kind of stuff- but he still hasn't taken the time to learn tarot (what is it now, like 10 years later?!) so I'm totally going to see if I can bribe him for his dust-collecting tarot decks since he has now held my crock pot ransom for the last year or so. :D

kaesrel

My first deck is the Celtic Dragon. My mom bought it for me at Chapters for the full store price -- $40! I was so happy because my mom, although believed in everything, had Christian and traditional tendencies. It meant so much that she'd buy it for me.

I love it because even though it is set in a fantasy world and has a dreamlike border, it's a very grounded deck. I recently compared it to my friend's Shadowscapes and it was so earthy and didn't at all give off a fantasy feeling at all. <3 my dragons.

jcwirish

My first deck was the Albano Waite. I didn't know anything about tarot and I just used my book to derive all the meanings. This deck did keep me interested and got me interested in finding other decks, and learning more. Eventually my search for decks led me here, which is where my true education and learning began.

Silver Crow

Mine was a RWS given to me as a gift in 1979. There weren't a whole lot of readily available choices back then.

BelovedK

Motherpeace, then Morgan Greer. I can't use MP anymore, but the MG is always really accurate for me, ant the deck is worn nicely.

SkadisPhoenix

My first was the Gilded Tarot, shown to me by two of my best friends, one in person, the other over MSN. Then that girl (she lives in America) sent me my own copy of the deck! :D

I love it, truly love it. :)

romanticdreamz

My first one was the Gothic Tarot of the Vampires. A bit tricky to learn when first starting out and I still think I have got a long way to go with that one, but I'll never get rid of it. It's my one deck I haven't allowed anyone else to touch - something about says "Oi, no touchy."

sapienza

My first deck was the original Mythic. I used this deck for over five years before I even got another deck. I think having this deck as my first one has really helped me to effectively use the cards to tell a story. Also it was the catalyst for my exploration of classical mythology, which has stayed with me throughout my tarot journey.