Your first deck?

Open Arms

My first deck was actually a Lenormand oracle I got about 30 years ago and I would read with it from time to time - scarily accurate readings too! Then in uni I got the Angel TdM deck - very old fashion and plain pips.We didn't get on.

Then a few years back I decided to learn tarot and bought a Radiant rider Waite and went "yawn" but the readings I got were good. Then a friend of mine (who also put me in touch with this website) told me about his new deck - the Gilded and I bought one. When I opened the box I got zapped by the deck and it has always been the one I turn to when I need a reading RIGHT NOW! I have other decks that I love and adore, but that Gilded deck...is mine.

Funny too, how when people mention a particular card eg 8 of wands , its the Gilded card that comes to mind first...

gregory

Mine was the 1JJ. :confused: (because it was there !)

Maybe it has something to do with not reading at all (after a disaster with another deck) for 35 years ! I don't use it now !

AineFoley

My old faithful Morgan Greer - and I still love it.

pyrogyne

The Mythic is one that I think I'd really like to get; I've been obsessed with classical mythology for nearly as long as I've been able to read. The one thing that makes me apprehensive about the deck is that if the sources the creators used aren't great, I'm likely to hate it, even though I could simply associate the cards with the sources I know.

sapienza said:
My first deck was the original Mythic. I used this deck for over five years before I even got another deck. I think having this deck as my first one has really helped me to effectively use the cards to tell a story. Also it was the catalyst for my exploration of classical mythology, which has stayed with me throughout my tarot journey.

cheers,
pyrogyne

Alta

Mine was the yellow box Rider deck, back in 1971. I never even realized there were other decks until about 1996 when I got the Robin Wood. I still love and use both decks. Well, not literally, I do not still have my actual first deck but I still read with the Rider deck.

astroandtarot

Mine was Robin Wood . I took a Tarot class and my Tarot instructor only use this deck.
currently i have several decks, i think up to 10 ( i have to count ) LOL but i found myself only using Robin Wood and Legacy of Divine Tarot lately.
sometimes i incorporate other decks with the reading if i want to go deeper or if i have to read for two persons at the same time.
i guess i just go with my feeling.

Hathor

Mine was the original Mythic Tarot and Book set as I am a fanatic of Classical Mythology. I picked it up in 1989 at the Macy's department store in New York City. I still have it and I love it as much as I did then. Except now they live in a beautiful silk bag.

DaughterOfDanu

My first deck was the Angel Oracle by Doreen Virtue. I was still a very strict Christian and believed that Tarot cards were evil. I believed that the oracle cards were A) Not called Tarot and B) Had angels so they had to be good.

My first Tarot deck came a few months later when I converted. I bought the Thoth Tarot, not having any clue about tarot cards, their types, or Aeclectic (For images and reviews) So when I used it, it felt very foreign. It didn't match with me very well. The art seemed really "Creepy"(And to be honest, still does).

My first Tarot deck I actually got use out of came several decks later and was the Gilded Deck.

Emily

Mine was the 1JJ Swiss too - nearly put me off for life - just the book by Stuart Kaplan to go off, no internet and no other material to help me at all. I soon found out that it just wasn't my kind of deck and I still can't read with the Marseilles style decks.

But it did feel pretty special buying it from the occult shop that later had to close because of stupid people, and the incense smell stopped on both the deck and the book for years. So although it never turned out to be my special deck, I do still have fond memories of buying it. :)

ncharge

Mine was the aquarian. I got it for Christmas when I was 12 (1971). (I asked for a crystal ball, but Mom couldn't afford one. So, the wonderful woman bought me a tarot deck! Magic!)