Giving up on a deck?

Debra

LeFanu has a point, says she who has owned and discarded at least four Thoths.

GryffinSong

Le Fanu said:
Many people have a horror of keeping things...

You should see my house. Clutter. More clutter. No, I'm nowhere near as bad as the hoarders you see on tv. But the clutter messes with my mind. Makes me less productive. Gets me stuck. Too much, too many, too not-used, and I get more and more depressed and can't seem to get anything done. Clear it out and I feel a clearing of my senses, a clearing of my thoughts. I'm not where I want to be yet with de-cluttering, but having unused, unloved decks around seems to clog my spiritual and creative arteries.

Debra

GryffinSong said:
having unused, unloved decks around seems to clog my spiritual and creative arteries.

*grabs granola bars and other provisions, prepares to wait patiently at trading forum*

GryffinSong

Debra said:
*grabs granola bars and other provisions, prepares to wait patiently at trading forum*

LOL!!! I only have one or two unloveds at this point and I don't think anyone wants them!!! Mystic Glyphs and Terrestrial Tarot. All else has been cleared away. These might end up in art projects at some point, although the Terrestrial was a trade that has that nasty cut through the cards (remainder perhaps?), so I feel I'd have to give it a healthy trim before even considering offering it up. Somehow trimming a deck I don't love seems overwhelming. I've thought about dumping it in the trash, but since my unloved pile is small I haven't been able to take that final step.

poopsie

Hi jdev

I had a similar experience like yours. There was a deck, the Egyptian Tarot, which I had but I couldn't connect to it so I just kept it. Unfortunately, I lost my home in a terrible flood and my deck totally disappeared. Surprisingly, I got to save my rider wait and used it... Some times I couldn't get much out of it soikeep it but I make sure I treat it with the reverence it deserves. I would occasionally still use it so that i don't lose my relationship with it. I guess nisaba and the others are right ... A deck has it's moments with you.I also have a liber t and hardly bothered with it. One day, it sort of just called on me so I used it. When I started to research on it, I built a strong relationship with it. Now, we are on a honeymoon ... I am just so in love with it. Suggestion: Give it time ... Some decks will have their moments with you ... I will wish you good luck ... Oh, and don't give up on the deck ... Just let it be for awhile ... The deck will have it's own season with you.

jackdaw*

Too much stuff makes me uncomfortable. I have gone in the past from a two-story house FULL of furniture and books and decks and movies and toys and clothing and bric-a-brac to three suitcases. Long story. Since then, I've built up and knocked down once more. So now I'm wary of forming great attachments to stuff. Even my decks now. I love them, but with the exception of one (three, max) I can get by without them if I have to.

In the past, decks flew in and out of the house with lightning speed. Don't click right out of the box? Out the door. Don't have time right now to devote to study? Trade train. Cash crunch? Ebay. Trading threads.

Now I am trying to be more realistic, and keep my collection AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT to decks I like and relate to, or ones I intend in the near future to devote time and study to.

If clutter doesn't bother you, then sure, pack it away for a little while. If minimalism is your thing, then give it a trial period before you decide to send it on its merry way.

Many people around here devote a week to each of their decks in turn. I have done that in the past, and it was a great way to see if a deck was "worth" further effort. Work with a deck exclusively for one week, or maybe two, and if there was potential then I kept it. If there wasn't, into the Trade Train it went :)

gregory

Debra said:
LeFanu has a point, says she who has owned and discarded at least four Thoths.
Just send any more to me, please :) I like to have a lot of Uncle Als :D

Debra

GryffinSong said:
LOL!!! I only have one or two unloveds at this point and I don't think anyone wants them!!! Mystic Glyphs and Terrestrial Tarot.

*grabs insecticide*

Seriously, though, I wonder how many unloved decks are being kept for use as art projects.

Le Fanu

I always find that expression "for art projects" so bemusing. Is it just an AT thing? Or is the population at large doing (or awaiting inspirations for) "Art Projects"?

What is an "Art Project"? Collaging? Christmas cards? Decoupage? I'd never even heard of this before AT.

Surely bookmarks is the lazy person's "Art Project"? That's more my scene...

GryffinSong

Le Fanu said:
I always find that expression "for art projects" so bemusing. Is it just an AT thing? Or is the population at large doing (or awaiting inspirations for) "Art Projects"?

What is an "Art Project"? Collaging? Christmas cards? Decoupage? I'd never even heard of this before AT.

Surely bookmarks is the lazy person's "Art Project"? That's more my scene...

I'm an artist. All I do is art projects. Right now my focus is on fiber arts, but I also do collage, jewelry, and just about anything you might think of, depending on my mood, and whether it can relate to my current or future audiences. Realistically I'm unlikely to use either of my current two unloveds in a project. But for collage I would definately consider chopping up images from partial decks and incorporating them.

Now that we're talking about it, I think I'm going to toss the Terrestrial in the recycling bin. Art project is unrealistic with that nasty thing. Brrr.