Deck of the week group - week 41 - 11-18 May 2012

VGimlet

Well, I have mixed feelings about Crow's Magick. <snip> This deck just makes me go "Huh?" frankly.

My reaction too. I love crows, and initially I thought I would like the art, but after using it for a few days it was more "meh".

Even though I like the Surrealistic, I am ready for the changeover on Saturday.

I know it's going to be one of my halloweeny-decks. Can't remember if it will be the Black Cat or Tod's Creatures. :p I don't think the Black Cat screams halloween, but more suggests it. I guess.

AJ

ETA2: Erk. Right. Grail Tarot is right out -- I studied Muslim history for a time in between buying this deck and looking at it now, and I felt a little ill doing so. I shan't use a deck that glorifies the Crusades, no matter how subtly.

My feeling precisely, re Crusades
I'm reading a huge book on the Aztec now, during the time of the Spanish Inquisition frenzy...

I'm enjoying working with the elemental. I'm working at channeling Bodhiseed and symbology. I did pretty good today but usually it's Huh? How could I miss that, when I check the book :)

Mi-Shell

Well, I have mixed feelings about Crow's Magick. Despite finding the art appealing at first and it being okay as a deck for daily draws, I find myself thinking of what the card looks like in the RWS deck or even the Thoth. The art is just generally just pretty far off from any traditional or accepted meaning of Tarot. My boyfriend lent me the companion book, but I hate constantly looking up the meanings of cards. This deck just makes me go "Huh?" frankly.
I too have the Crow's Magick Tarot as well and for some reason I always feel, as if this is a deck that aludes to the way shamanism will be, when all the wild Animals are loooong gone extinct.When people only know them through old photographs, cartoons and manga animations. They still show up as guardians in visions, but nobody has ever seen a real living Animal.
I dread the possibility of this being just a small millennium away......

GoldenWolf

I know what you mean, Mi-Shell. Those of us who live in urban areas already have to make do with seeing most wild animals (outside of some birds, squirrels, and chipmunks) in zoos or big national parks. I happen to live near a large urban forest otherwise I would rarely get to see deer. The only reason I have seen a gray wolf in real life is because I have traveled to a wolf preservation facility in Indiana to do so.

The idea that the Crow's Magick deck would be one of someone's few sources of "seeing" animals is pretty depressing.

Elendil

Universal Fantasy Tarot

I have enjoyed my week with this deck and it is certainly a keeper for me. The artwork lends itself nicely to intuitive reading. As with the vast majority if LoScarabeo decks that I own the accompanying LWB is of little use or relevance to some (most?) of the images but I just ignore it. There are some incredibly beautiful cards and some extremely detailed illustrations with an interesting twist.

Next week will be Shadowscapes Tarot I suspect - but my mind is not entirely made up yet.

:)

Chiriku

I didn't have a deck of the week this week because I had several things to do with my Intensive Deck Study deck, and the leftover time, such as it was, went to my first forays into oracle decks.

Yesterday I received a strange impulse buy: the swirly, swoony, watercolory, aggressively Lo Scarabeo (and I think you know what that means with regards to sexuality) Tarot of the Sexual Magic. I'm in the mood for something totally different for me, and this is it. So it will be my deck of the week starting tomorrow.

And yes, I most certainly will be offering readings with it in the Exchange.

Chiska

Hey there!

Silicon Valley - fun and quirky! Suited for use by nerds and geeks. Reads well, but strange as a "study" deck. I was shocked that it was so fun for readings (Thanks Cassandra!! You were a wonderful test subject). I was surprised that how well ideas flowed when the cards were laid down. I "get" the subject matter, so there was a frame of reference.

Seriously, if you get the Empress and see "The Garage," and you go, "WTF?" this deck is not for you.

merissa_88

I enjoyed my week with the Xultun Classic. It's a beautiful and very interesting deck, but it's going to require more time and study. I didn't do either this week. Also, I think getting the book "Flight of the Feathered Serpent" will help as the card meanings aren't straight RWS and the trumps seem to connect to the 20 Mayan daysigns of the Tzolk'in.

GoldenWolf

Well, I finished my week with Crow's Magick and have returned the guide book to my BF. I really need to cull my collection down. Since he has this deck and is pretty liberal about letting me use his decks, I am tempted to let it go since I do have mixed feelings about it.