Dark Fairytale Tarot- LoS

Penthasilia

I figured I would start a thread, as I am using this for my deck of the week- a new deck by LoS (still not available in the US yet) that is called the Dark Fairy Tale tarot.

First off- I have very mixed reactions to this deck- so if the post appears disjointed, it is probably because of the ill-timed reflection from the reflection pool of the fae. Secondly- this deck (to me) is NOT a "fairy tale" tarot. If you are thinking a sinister sister to the Fairy Tale tarot decks by either Lisa Hunt, or MRP, this deck is NOT it. That being said- what this deck IS, IMHO, encapsulates something far more interesting.

The deck is a journey to the dark world of fairy. Pick your flavor- whatever works for you, if you think in terms of fairy courts, you are looking at one certifiable unseelie court deck. For the Norse- it would be Svartalfheim. I am Feri trained- so to me, this deck resonates very strongly with how I see the fae to be in general- completely and utterly consuming, both with "light" and "dark" aspects held in the fullest expression. There is no walking lightly through the land of the fae- you better know the terms, and be prepared to pay the price asked for the gift you receive- doesn't matter if it was taken unwittingly or not!

That alone makes this deck special. The tarot of the sidhe was the closest I had seen before this deck- so to me, this would be the sidhe's darker, and more sinister cousin. I have used both decks at this point- and I honestly have to say that this deck wrings the emotion out of you much more than the sidhe, having a much more prickly feel, with a demeanor that demands full disclosure. Don't even think about asking a half-assed question without baring your soul to the world- you can try, but it will scoff and move on. You will learn only by opening up completely- the good and the bad, the joy and the sorrow. That is the price of entry. It is your choice on if you want to pay it. Sure- it will give you a reading- which has the same amount of worth you put in your question. If you truly want to try it- be prepared to open your soul.

Now- the "bad" points. I hate CGI decks, and this has more than I would typically care for. The fae have angel wings in some pictures, which I personally can't stand- but to each their own. If you don't dig deeper, this deck will feel very teen goth (like the dark angels). So you could easily fluff it off, especially if you do a quick reading without really thinking- it will give you fluff right back. I always look through the decks before using them, and did with this one. I really didn't like the look of it. But when I read with it... a completely different story. The imagery popped, the scenes sucked me in, the message was clear. But the imagery will turn some people off.

Good points- this is a great faery deck. There are so few that are good, and this one really dives deep into the darkness. With LoS- the LWB is hit or miss, and in this deck it is definitely a huge HIT! The story line reads well, the explanations (while short) are built upon the cards themselves, and the layout in the beginning works very well with these cards. The deck will be very reasonable to purchase, typical LoS card stock (which I personally like), black borders without all the multi-lingual nonsense, nice backs which are fully reversible for those that need it.

So- that would be my two cents. It is available for pre-order on Amazon, or you can get it now through LoS website if you so choose. I am sure that other vendors will start popping up with them soon as well. You can google and find some pictures to whet your appetite. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

:)

Le Fanu

But is this available anywhere? I thought it wasn't out yet... (and I'm not in the US)

Elendil

But is this available anywhere? I thought it wasn't out yet... (and I'm not in the US)

Book Depository (UK) had some on the 24th April. I was notified that my deck would be dispatched within a few days of that date - but it seems the publishers didn't provide enough decks. Over a week later my order shows as processing (it has been showing that since the 24th) and BD indicates the deck is unavailable....

So I guess there are some copies out there but only in the possession of a lucky few...
The rest of us will have to sit tight and wait...
:(

Aurora369

I saw on Amazon UK that the deck will be available on May 15 and the Tarot Chest in the UK also has this date as the availability date.

Le Fanu

Book Depository (UK) had some on the 24th April. I was notified that my deck would be dispatched within a few days of that date - but it seems the publishers didn't provide enough decks. Over a week later my order shows as processing (it has been showing that since the 24th) and BD indicates the deck is unavailable....

So I guess there are some copies out there but only in the possession of a lucky few...
The rest of us will have to sit tight and wait...
:(
But I just did a search for Dark Fairy Tale Tarot and there was no sign of it then - aha! - I did a search for Dark Fairytale Tarot and up it comes (either "currently unavailable" or "125 days to go"; not sure which I prefer).

Mods! Maybe change the title of the thread?

This issue of fairytale or fairy tale is a nightmare in searches... :(

Aurora369

The one being distributed by Llewellyn is due out in September, but Lo Scarabeo has it in stock now and if you look in Tarot Chest it has it coming out May 15 which is directly from Lo Scarabeo.

http://www.tarotchest.co.uk/product.asp?item=28107&affid=aeclectic

And Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Fairytale-Tarot-instruction-booklet/dp/8865271310/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336311369&sr=1-1-spell

But I just did a search for Dark Fairy Tale Tarot and there was no sign of it then - aha! - I did a search for Dark Fairytale Tarot and up it comes (either "currently unavailable" or "125 days to go"; not sure which I prefer).

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Thread title has been edited to reflect the actual title of the deck.

Penthasilia

Oops! Sorry about that!

I bought mine through LoS, as I had other stuff I was ordering as well.

Thread title has been edited to reflect the actual title of the deck.

Thank you.

:)

garmonbozia

Is there anywhere to see more than 4 cards from this deck?

nemodomi

Is there anywhere to see more than 4 cards from this deck?

Go to Google, click on "Images", enter exactly the following:

"dark fairytale" tarot

and hit return/enter key.

As you find likely images, right-click on them, choose to open in a new tab (or window as suits your personal taste), then click on "Website for this image". Scroll down as need be, see what you find.