A spiritualist just told me I need to burn my tarot decks....

Tarotphelia

This puts me in mind of the time I was in a charity store buying a little plastic pumpkin and the woman behind the counter scowled at me and thrust a religious tract into my hand , saying I should come to her tongue talking church and get saved . Call me crazy , but somehow it seemed to me like buying a plastic pumpkin was a lot safer than talking in tongues from the influence of God knows what .

It seems like the woman you encountered is mixing a couple of traditions , Spiritualism with Pentacostal . The point of Spiritualism presumably would be to give messages from the dead somebody would actually understand , so it seems an odd mix .

Clearly , she's used to telling others what to do (unasked, and claiming it comes from spirit ) and getting a lot of attention for it . Which is pretty bad behavior for a medium of any sort .I hope she leaves you alone and doesn't try to make a project out of you . (run!)

The crowned one

Gayla said:
I actually have one deck I bought from Ebay which I probably need to consider might not be 'clean'. I'm clear about all my other decks backgrounds.

I do believe a deck may needs to be 'cleansed'...but I am more enclined to be just subscribe to the ideas you need to wash your hands before touching a deck....

I am from the school of decks are no more then what they seem....decks,( we are the power ) but if she can pick up on decks in the office, she at least worth talking to if only for the sake of learning.

Summersweet

Luckily I've never encountered anything like that to the extreme of burn your cards.

She doesn't actually sound like a Spiritualist, she's definately got a few things mixed up there to come out with that

memries

The lady who did this to you is way off base. Unfortunately. Probably unstable.

Speaking in Tongues is a Charism of the Holy Spirit and while misunderstood to a great degree it has merit. I will not go into all that only to tell you that it is valid and is in the Bible, New Testament, in Corinthians. This lady was out of line to subject you to her ideas and use that Gift, if it was which I doubt, to rant at you.

Secondly I have been to the Spiritualist Church many times here in Ontario, Canada and there is no one like that there for sure. I have also been to Lily dale, New York several times and this winter intend to go to Cassadaga, Florida. In all cases Tarot cards are read by whoever wants to and the book stores in the above premises sell Tarot cards and Metaphysical Books galore as well as crystals, etc.

I attended a prayer group for many years in a Roman Catholic Church. It was open of course and once in a while we would get someone arrive who would commence to do outlandish things. The leaders, assigned, would either ask them to decease or leave. Some people are nuts that is all even if it is not a polite word to use I can think of no other. Also many times ego was involved and someone would try to take over. It was not a stuffy group at all and nice people who were sincere open to learning and loving and encouraging each other.

All I can say to you and I use it myself.... if someone is showing you Love in some form it is of Good and of God. If it is critical and not loving then it is not. That's all period. Give her a wide berth and avoid her.

There is nothing wrong in this world about thinking for yourself and not letting others dictate to you what you should or should not do in your inner spiritual life. It is your right and your freedom.

I might add one more thing as I understand you are young. First of all your Mom is very nice and understanding and humorous.

Secondly, for myself and it might help you a bit. I look at things as light or dark. We all have both to some degree. Through choices we either end up with more light and less dark or the other way. It takes evil and sin out of the equation totally.. I don't use those words they are hackneyed anyway.

P.S. I just checked out your Avatar and found you are an adult so I apologize
for the way I wrote this to someone younger. However, just take if from a grandmother which I am. Love. xxx

Lleminawc

Gayla said:
I met a lady today, at work of all places. She said she is a spiritualist and told me I needed to put a cloth over my tarot decks, pour holy water on them, make a cross three times and burn them.....
uh ... pour water on them and then try and set fire to them? hmm.

Gayla

Lleminawc said:
uh ... pour water on them and then try and set fire to them? hmm.

LOL!!!! I didn't even think of it....LOL!!!!!!!

Yes, she said put a special cloth on it...she couldn't remember the name of the material, but said she would bring me one. She said she would give me the recipe for the holy water. (My mom says there is no recipe for holy water.) Soak the cloth, put it over the deck, make a cross sign three time and burn it.

I guess if I could accomplish that...I could work in Las Vegas!!!

6 Haunted Days

Yes, my parents. Old news. I lost many decks, books and tapes to the fires of redemption. Just ignore and pity her.

Tarotphelia

memries said:
I attended a prayer group for many years in a Roman Catholic Church. It was open of course and once in a while we would get someone arrive who would commence to do outlandish things. The leaders, assigned, would either ask them to decease or leave.

Lol- I think you mean desist ( or cease) or leave ! (Not trying to correct you , just enjoying the image of Catholics telling somebody to get out or die !)

memries said:
Some people are nuts that is all even if it is not a polite word to use I can think of no other. Also many times ego was involved and someone would try to take over. It was not a stuffy group at all and nice people who were sincere open to learning and loving and encouraging each other.

It is good to bear in mind that sometimes nutty and egotistical people are attracted to spiritual things , often for the perceived power that is in there somewhere .

There are some mediums who genuinely look down on tarot as an inferior means of spiritual communication , and they annoy me .

Tarotphelia

Gayla said:
Yes, she said put a special cloth on it...she couldn't remember the name of the material, but said she would bring me one. She said she would give me the recipe for the holy water. (My mom says there is no recipe for holy water.) Soak the cloth, put it over the deck, make a cross sign three time and burn it.

Perchance must it be done in a graveyard at midnight ? It sounds rather voodoo-ish to me .