How to use the Tarot for fortune-telling?

Wendywu

I remember HedgeWitch's page where she did playing card meanings. What I can't remember is whether they were very specific and/or predictive. Is her page still up on the net somewhere?

Pen

Aerin said:
Well, I'd still like to know if there is anyone who does it via "this card always means x". I had a small book of fortune telling once that did that, whatever playing card you picked led to a definite meaning. Like a fortune cookie I suppose. My Swiss IJJ also has a book that works that way, it goes through combinations of cards too.

I used to think Lenormand was like that but reading what people say about their readings it seems not???

My thoughts exactly!

And Wendywu, I think you might be right about the different meanings of the term 'cold reading' either side of The Pond.

Off Topic? - maybe, but methinks it's good to get definitions straight so we're not all talking at cross purposes...:)

Pen

Grizabella

I've really never used or studied how to use playing cards for telling fortunes but there are lots of folks who do use them. Raymond Buckland wrote that his mother (or grandmother, I forget which) used a modified playing card deck that she'd added her own drawings or paintings to. I think he put out a deck before the Buckland Romani Tarot that might have been similar. I never saw it, but I've heard that he did. Someone here might know more about it or might even have one. About the furthest I get from Tarot is using oracles like Tea Leaf Cards.

Sar

How to use Tarot for fortune telling?
You ask a question about the future, then You draw a card, you see the image and the first thing that falls in to your head is right.

Noelle

Aerin said:
Well, I'd still like to know if there is anyone who does it via "this card always means x". I had a small book of fortune telling once that did that, whatever playing card you picked led to a definite meaning. Like a fortune cookie I suppose. My Swiss IJJ also has a book that works that way, it goes through combinations of cards too.

I used to think Lenormand was like that but reading what people say about their readings it seems not??? My first Lenormand deck came with the Reader's Digest.

ps I sometimes mess with Lenormand but not in a fortune cookie way.

I had a reading by a woman many years ago who used Lenormand. In fact that was the first time I came across these 'little cards'. She used the deck to tell me my future .... i.e. fortune-telling. To date, everything she predicted has eventuated, includiing one thing I thought was rather ludicrous at the time. Some of her predictions were short-term, others long-term. Some is still to eventuate, but I have no doubt it will despite the strangeness/seeming improbability.

These 'little cards' really intrigued me and I asked her to tell me about them and who taught her .... I'm a curious person. She told me she was taught by a family member. She had a particular method and way of reading with the cards that I haven't come across anywhere.

She gave me an impromptu coffee cup reading too which I wasn't at all expecting during the reading. The coffee cup reading was intriguing too ..... again her method was not something I've read/heard about anywhere - she asked me to silently think of a question and asked me to run my index finger down the side of the empty cup after it had been sitting upturned in the saucer for a bit. Her answer did pertain to my question and was future related. There were certain details in her answer that I was aware of at the time but which I hadn't shared with her as it wasn't on my radar during the reading.

.... so Lenormand can be used for fortune/future-telling .... but then most cards can be used for fortune-telling I believe.

Noelle

Sar said:
How to use Tarot for fortune telling?
You ask a question about the future, then You draw a card, you see the image and the first thing that falls in to your head is right.

Uh yes .... I would say that's how it works!

Sar

I would love a fortune-telling forum, by the way.

Grizabella

They say Lenormand is a little easier for some people to use for fortune telling but it's somewhat different in the way it's used. It has more to do with static card meanings and the relationship of each card to the significator card as far as placement before and after the significator and distance from it and each other and things like that. There's an online workshop by Sylvie Steinbach, who has written a book in English about her Lenormand method. It's quite fascinating, but used quite a bit differently than I use Tarot. Now that I mention that method, though, I wonder if it could be incorporated into my use of Tarot someday. I might experiment around with that sometime.

Pen

There's something very satisfying about the traditional Lenormand spread that uses all the cards. I believe the books advise using it no more often than once every six months.

Just imagining here, but one could remove the court cards and choose an appropriate one in place of the significator. It would be more personal than simply using the 'lady' or 'gentleman' cards.

Pen