How to use the Tarot for fortune-telling?

Owl Song

Very interesting topic.

I think that most people who know little about Tarot or Tarot readings think that the core purpose of a Tarot reading is to predict the future or to tell the querent "secrets" about themselves. When reading for strangers, I've found this the single most difficult "preconceived notion" (for lack of a better way to put it) to dispel. This isn't to say that predictive readings aren't both valuable and legitimate but telling the future is generally not the primary way I personally approach Tarot. Mostly because I do not excel at predicting the future.

I use Tarot primarily for guidance and illumination. Once in a while I'll get an accurate "flash" about the future but usually when I'm not actively seeking it. I do think that more recent Tarot trends generally promote Tarot more as a tool for spiritual growth and understanding rather than for divination.

This thread makes me pause. Maybe in a way I've blocked myself from the divinatory aspects of Tarot. Perhaps I need to explore this side of Tarot a bit more, to open myself up more to the predictive elements of Tarot reading.

Thanks JSNYC for giving me a lot to ponder. :)

Bernice

I tried a 15 card layout last night with the Lenormand approach in mind. Didn't use a sigificator, I just 'decided' that the centre card would represent the immediate condition/situation of an unseen querent.

* Left of the centre column = details of the Past leading to the centre/present.
* Right of the centre column = details of the Future. Last column 3 months hence.

I shan't post the spread, but if you work up from the bottom row (resources or things that cannot be changed) and assess the vertical, horizontal and diagonal connections, it seems to read fine!

Of course, I've no idea if the reading would apply to the fictious querent :grin:

Bee :)

Sar

I think using the cards to guide the seeker is more dangerous than telling them their future, anyway. Let us leave the counsling to the shrinks or shrimps. ;)

Bernice

Sar said:
.........snip......... Let us leave the counsling to the shrinks or shrimps. ;)
I concur :). A little forewarning via 'fortune telling' can assist a person to shape-up and give them time to sort out how best to meet such situations. And if they don't come to pass, at least that person has some idea of what might be best for them should such an event ever arise.

Bernice

Attached is a brief outline of the spread I did. Post 82. It can be modified to suit personal preferences.

The columns can be designated as weeks, or months, or years, either way along a timeline. i.e:

First Past column (1+6+11) = 5 years ago
Second Past column (2+7+12) = 1 year ago

First Future column (4+9+14) = 3 months ahead.
Second Future column (5+10+15) = 2 years ahead.

Attachments

• fortune+time.jpg
    fortune+time.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 80

Sar

Bee: I use a romani spread (21 cards, 7cards/3rows) that is very similar to this one you posted.

Bernice

Hi sar, I agree there are lots of grid-style spreads that could be used for Past & Future fortune telling. I've been wondering if people will interpret the trumps as something 'special'. I just assessed them along with the pips+courts without putting any emphasis on them.

Is anyone else having a go at this sort of approach?

Sar

Bernice said:
Hi sar, I agree there are lots of grid-style spreads that could be used for Past & Future fortune telling. I've been wondering if people will interpret the trumps as something 'special'. I just assessed them along with the pips+courts without putting any emphasis on them.

That depends.

1. If the "centercard" (in your spread is card #08/mine #11) is a major, it is significant.

2. If there are more then 6 majors, then there are nothing much the seeker can do about what happends/or they have little power in their life what so ever.

Pen

Bee

I must try when I can find some quiet time...:)

Pen