Trimming - how many decks and which decks?

6 Haunted Days

I've only trimmed the Nigel Jackson and World Spirit, frankly there's quite a few I would love to trim, but until I get a cutter and corner rounders I'll wait. By hand is way too time consuming and nerve-wracking! Those 2 decks turned out great...but I'm lucky I didn't mess up.

GeorgiePorgie

Dwaas said:
That Archeon is just too gorgeous! Must get myself another copy to trim as well. So far I trimmed the Thoth and the Old English.
Oooh, can you show us the trimmed Old English? Pretty please?

Hemera

vision quest and 1001 nights

Here is a picture of the Vision Quest that I promised earlier on this thread.

My recent trimming job is The 1001 Nights. After trimming it has become one of my top favourite decks!

Oh wow, the Archeon will certainly be next! I never realised how depressive those dark and wide borders are.. So,off they go! :D

Attachments

• 1001nights and vision quest trimmed.jpg
    1001nights and vision quest trimmed.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 277

Bean Feasa

Okay, now Vision Quest is on my list too! Thanks for posting those scans hemera.

I hadn't seen the Thousand and One Nights deck before, and it looks like it definitely needs a haircut. Those are bizzzzy borders!!!
This is a little bit off topic but I'm reading the Arabian Nights at the moment - a new translation by Husain Haddawy (not sure if I've spelt that right) and it's really good. :)

Speaking of busy borders - I traded Waking the Wild Spirit deck a couple of years ago because the borders drove me crazy - they looked like barber's poles! It was before I realised trimming was possible. And now it's OOP :(

Hemera

1001 nights

I am also currently reading Arabian Nignts! I first fell in love with the tarot, then I borrowerd the 6 huge volumes of a Finnish translation in the library. After which I ordered an excellent Arabian Nights Companion by Robert Irwin (highly recommended!-amazon sells this). Irwin says that Haddaways new translation is excellent so that will be next on my list.

The busy borders in my scans are parts of the original (miniature?) artwork. The pictures were by Leon Carré and someone else drew the borders. (That was way before computer drawn images so it is all hand drawn!) The borders are truly beautiful and they are like windows through which you peak to the other side. What I trimmed was the awful Lo Scarabeo white borders with their dozen unnecessary languages!

See here:http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/1001-nights/index.shtml

The LS LWB is useless (as usual..), so what I´m currently doing is trying to find the stories that belong to each card. It´s quite fun actually, and greatly deepens the meanings of the tarot. The cards get lots of new meanings from the stories.

Bean Feasa

Oh sorry, hemera - I thought the 1001 nights was a pre-trim scan. I see now what you mean. When I look closer they look like magic carpet designs, and I get the looking through a window or portal effect. The black arched borders on my Hallowquest deck have that effect too.
I might look up the Irwin companion to the Nights. The Haddawy translation takes no prisoners - any versions of the stories I had read before (years ago) were Victorian sanitised versions written in antiquated language. There are quite a few X-rated activities in this translation ;) and the style is clear and natural and the dialogue very realistic. The stories really come alive off the page.
Maybe I should look up the deck too. It looks nice. Hmmm, now where did I put that credit card. :)

Mariana

hemera said:
Vargo Gothic (I left just the pics, coloured the card sides black, and WOW)

Hemera, would you have scans of the Vargo Gothic, by any chance? I'm curious what that one would look like if I trimmed it...

tortoise

Trimmed:
Light & Shadow
RWS
Victorian Romantic
and i rounded the corners on the Soprafino :)

Mariana

tortoise said:
Victorian Romantic
That's another one I've been considering. Does trimming add a lot?

Skydancer

You trimmed the Light and Dark>??

Fascinating. Did you like it better afterwards??

I don't look at the backs of cards when shuffling or selecting. So -- how does changing the backs affect your work with any particular deck?

Thanks - great thread.

*S*