The Monday Rant

Umbrae

There are those amongst us. Perhaps even ones who will and have posted in this thread – that pretend to be readers.

However they have never ever read live for a stranger.

And then they pontificate for the rest of us about ‘How To Read’.

You’re free to do what you wish.

However if all you have is an opinion without the experience – then please get some experience to back up that opinion. Let’s not tell others “How to Read”, if all you do is buy more decks…

And I do own my statements. Even the spaces between the words...

Miss Divine

I laughed my *ss off when I read this.
But I do agree with what most is said.
I don't have a large collection...but hoarding decks does seem to be addictive. Atleast for me, although I fight the urge to buy ''pretty'' new decks most of the time. And the reason for that is simply, it isn't my intention to collect decks, but to learn how to read.
Maybe we hoard decks because we think we might be missing something if we don't buy the ''great new deck''.

I bought 2 new decks recently, and afterwards I wondered why??
I already have decks I still have so much to learn from.

I don't think all the new decks are crap, if they were crap we wouldn't be buying them like crazy eh!? LOL
The artwork is nice? Hahaha...

I really love this site, also because things get discussed that are not just about the reading part of tarot. I think this place is so funny at times. And that's what I love about it...life is serious enough as it is.

Take care,
Phoebe

sleepingcat

Umbrae said:
There are those amongst us. Perhaps even ones who will and have posted in this thread – that pretend to be readers.

However they have never ever read live for a stranger.

And then they pontificate for the rest of us about ‘How To Read’.

You’re free to do what you wish.

However if all you have is an opinion without the experience – then please get some experience to back up that opinion. Let’s not tell others “How to Read”, if all you do is buy more decks…

And I do own my statements. Even the spaces between the words...

I make no claims to be a reader. I read.

I try to stress that I do NOT have expierence, and the experience I have is from my friends who are biased to agree with me and from myself who is biased to disagree. I've only read to strangers once and they were stoned *sigh*

When I offer suggestions I try to offer them as just that- suggestions. I like to think I have a creative mind and try to contribute somthing that crosses me as logical and encouraging.

From my observations, true readers are gifted individuals, they dont need the cards.

If there are others like myself, we're testing the water and using a sturdy, well tested vessel to get us out there. If we're not ready to swim then we certainly shouldnt be going out to the deepest waters.

Jewel

I have been known to hoard decks, and to purchase the flavor of the week often times, but that has been changing and I am glad for it. I also do not claim, or want to be, a tarot reader (solely - I like using tarot for other things too) but I enjoy reading the tarot for friends both face to face and online. And truth be told, though I have many tarot decks I only read with a handful of them - some I have been using for years (the Fey and Cosmic Tribe, and others which are relatively new but definetly are now among my favorite reading decks: The Golden VR (been reading with it for 8 months now), and the Fantastic Menagerie (been using for about 3 months now). But I do find that I am very picky about which decks become reading decks, and once selected as a reading deck I commit to the deck long term.

But I also like using tarot for other things that are not reading tarot. I love studying the tarot. I am currently using one of my non-reading decks to go through the 78 Weeks study group, and I am also participating in the 21 Ways to read a tarot card group. My Thoth is another deck I enjoy studying, but have yet been inspired to read with it. I also like using some decks to write short stories with. Some of these flavor of the month decks are quite fun to use for that purpose.

I do hear and respect your point of view, but some of us like using tarot for other things as well as reading. Granted, I do not make a point of going around and telling anyone else HOW to read tarot either, as I do not have the experience you speak of.

Sulis

I can see what you're saying about the loads of decks that are published these days but folks want them and they sell or surely the companies wouldn't bother.
Who am I (or you) to tell them that the decks they like are crap and they shouldn't be buying them?

I too think that if you really want to learn to read then deck buying fever probably isn't the best way to do it but then I went through a phase like that too until I realised that I had all the decks I needed.
Now I buy a couple a year but every now and then a few decks will be published that will really catch my eye so I'll buy them too.

Umbrae who's been telling you 'HOW' to read'?

You sound as if you're miffed because folks who haven't ever read in the way that you think is the only valid way have been 'pontificating' and telling you (or others, I don't know), 'how to read'?

Folks come to these forums for advice and folks give their advice, whether they've read for strangers or not...
It's up to you which advice you choose to take and from whom..

Sophie

Sulis said:
I can see what you're saying about the loads of decks that are published these days but folks want them and they sell or surely the companies wouldn't bother.
Who am I (or you) to tell them that the decks they like are crap and they shouldn't be buying them?
I don't think anyone can tell others what to buy or not - but we can say that a deck (or decks) is crap, just as I can say that the Chinese candles I bought the other day are crap. It's a valid comment, though obviously, not everyone will agree with it.

I too think that if you really want to learn to read then deck buying fever probably isn't the best way to do it but then I went through a phase like that too until I realised that I had all the decks I needed.
Thing is, a lot of people who want to read tarot (I am distinguishing them from those who only like to collect and only read from time to time or not at all) replace the real investment they need to make in learning to read with buying decks. It's a bit like people who want to ski and buy outfit after outfit, but don't really spend any time on the pistes. Nothing wrong with pretty ski outfits and with after-ski - but it's not skiing ;)

Folks come to these forums for advice and folks give their advice, whether they've read for strangers or not...
It's up to you which advice you choose to take and from whom..
The only problem with that is - we don't know upfront who is experienced and has read widely for a long time, and who isn't. Unless someone says so in their posts, who's to know they haven't picked up a deck for the first time a week ago? Now, I think we can learn a lot from beginners - but not the same kind of things as we can from experienced readers. Of course, after a while, it's possible to make out the level of this or that member!

I don't think, however, that the ONLY way to read is to read to strangers face-to-face. It's the traditional way, that's true, but not the sole, exclusive way. Reading for strangers online is another. Reading for friends and family is another - if someone does that for 10 years, who's to say they don't know how to read? They haven't read for strangers, that's all. To return to my skiing analogy - I ski off-piste, mostly - it's the equivalent of reading face-to-face for strangers. But I wouldn't say that someone who sticks to the prepared slopes doesn't know how to ski.

I find more mileage in Umbrae's question: why do read tarot for others. It's a question that will have a different answer, depending on whether you like to read for people you know, or for strangers online, or for yourself, or for strangers face-to-face.

And quite frankly, if you can give a killer reading with the Tarot of the Funny Face Dogs, why the hell not???

le fey

This is off point (I'm not missing the point, I just don't see the need to enter into the fray on a subject that's passionate when I don't have a strong opinion either way) - but the following bothered me so much I left this thread, stewed a bit and then came back to see if it actually said what I thought it did:

"It’s like when you read three different books with three opposing views. What you’ve got is three diverse opinions vying for footholds in your head – and no place for your own opinion."

Um... I am perfectly capable of reading far more than three books with opposing views and still having plenty of brain space for my own views. And I would say that anyone who enjoys critical level reading, research, whatever you'd like to call it, would say the same.

Now I can't decide if this is a hole in the argument of the rant, or simply a faulty comparison being used to make a valid point, but either way, "stay in ignorance of the variety of perspectives available because it might make your poor widdle head hurt" has always been a philosophy that bothers me. I was surprised to see it expressed here.

Other people's opinions are just data you can use or discard at will. Exposure to them won't hurt you.

Papageno

OK Seditious One ;)..........here's one point you never make and it always surprises me.

Reading face-to-face, whenever, wherever ...........what else does a person gain from that, aside from the raw experience?

Answer: You find out whether or not you really want to do live readings, if you’re any good at it and if your expectations of being a full time professional are realistic.

You find out whether or not you’re really cut out to be a flesh n blood reader.

Clearly, some people are better suited (for various reasons) to internet readings…..being a flesh n blood eye-contact reader is a whole other ball game.

It forces people to ask themselves:

1. Do I have good people skills?
2. Do I communicate well?
3. Do I have the right temperament?
4. How do I work under pressure?
5. How good am I at adapting to difficult circumstances?
6. How skilled am I at handling difficult clients?
7. If I’m thinking of doing this for a living, do I have a viable plan for making this happen?

That’s just for starters off the top of my head.

Now...........is reading face-to-face a necessary hurdle....is it a prerequisite for calling yourself a reader?

Durant Hapke

Brothers, and Sisters,

Bring the maps, and big box of bright crayons.

I'm wondering, I can't recall exactly, but I remember the Tarot is also called "the Mirror."

A mirror can reflect all, but the only person who sees something "authentically" new, or hidden from them within it, is the person who wields it (what they chose to share about what they find? Interesting).

Not being a "collector" of anything but hangovers, I can't say I understand the drive, but as it's so much a part of nearly every person I meet, I have to assume it is a "pleasure" endeavor that feeds on it self, and all good by me.

I cherish my ignorance beyond all other things.

Durant "I've got some coins for the Juke box" Hapke

Dwaas

Umbrae said:
The only thing that matters – EVER – in this world – is EYE CONTACT.

Baroli said:
I find that the eyes are indeed the "windows of the soul". It's necessary for eye contact when you are reading. Granted you are also looking at the card, and if you are like me, getting flashes of all sorts of things, but to not give eye contact to me, does not make the reading personal for the sitter.

And what if the sitter is blind like my neighbour? Then the reading is of less quality? Just because she was born without eyes? I do not accept that we can only read well for those with perfect bodies and minds. I have read for strangers, for friends, and online. And although there is a different atmosphere the sincerity is the same. That has to do with my intent, not with eyes. Well that is what I believe :)

And I do agree on all the new decks spit out that seem to be the same.