The Monday Rant

Baroli

That's ok, Dwass I am glad to see you posting.

Baroli :D

Elven

Bwaha! Umbrae you're a stirrer!! :laugh:

But the eye contact thingy - if I have some eyes to look at when Im reading - I'm in them.
Im not talking to the cloak of many colours thats sitting opposite, Im looking through to the part which brought the coat to me - the one that made the legs move and parked it at my table :p

Elven x

Little Hare

this is an interesting post....

I just want to make a teeny point... what about cultural diversity? If i were to read for an Indigenous person it may be very offensive to look them in the eyes.... I think that we need to look at tarot in differing aspects and stop being what i like to call so 'white anglicised, structered' ... so what someone doesn't read face to face... so what they do? All that matters is the process and the story's

each of us have our own journey's

lunakasha

Umbrae said:
It is my observation, that of late – we’ve become obsessed.

With decks. The Capitalists at Llewellyn’s love us. They an pump out absolute crap and we’ll buy it. They’ve not done a deck worth owning in ages – there’s no reason for them to still be in business…they keep doing the same thing over and over with very slight modifications and the public keeps buying it.

There is no vision there.

Lo Scarabeo has fallen into the same tiger trap…same crap – different day – and the public keeps buying it.

Here is another observation, Umbrae: if it weren't for all these publishers pumping out CRAP decks, and all of us hoarder/collectors buying them, the people who sell tarot decks for a living would soon go out of business. :eek:

Something to think about....;)

Why does it have to be an "all or nothing" thing anyway???
I think everyone has their own reasons for collecting and/or reading with tarot decks, and there are MANY different kinds of readings, other than just face-to-face with strangers. Some people need practice and experience, so they come here (online) to connect with people who share that interest. They might not feel ready to go "pro" yet, or it may be difficult to get started, depending on where the person lives.

If the reader/collector is happy with whatever his/her relationship is with tarot, who are we to judge???

And if the sitter happens to be online and not sitting right in front of the reader, and he/she gets something useful out of the reading, that's all that really matters. At least in my opinion....

:) Luna

The crowned one

I like the above post. :)

mac22

I agree Umbrae. Good points. There is something about doing it "live" and in-person that keeps me sharp. :) As for deck "collecting" I have a few decks but they are all working tools.

mac22

thinbuddha

I only ever read for myself (sometimes the readings are about others). I don't have any intentions of reading for others, though perhaps I will choose to read for others at some point in the future. I have my reasons.

Reading, for me, is peripheral, and not central to the tarot experience. The idea that you must read face to face is, in my mind, sort of like saying that you must race your car, or you are never really driving. True- perhaps there is a thrill to racing, but it is not an essential part of the automotive experience. Some people just want to go for a drive. Michael Shumacher might be able to learn something about driving from the Sunday drivers if he is open to the idea.

Vadella

:laugh: I just got chills... unless that's the creeping coldness outside...

xx
vad

Papageno

Elven said:
Bwaha! Umbrae you're a stirrer!! :laugh:

he is })

what a rabbble rouser LOL

looking for an excuse to stir the cauldron just to cook up an interesting discussion <g>

Sulis

I read for myself, I read for other people, I read by email and I read face to face.

They are different reading experiences and the people I read for get as much out of my email readings as they do when I read face to face.
I read for a couple of people who for one reason or another would not or could not go to a 'real life' tarot reader.
They come to me specifically because they prefer a reading by email and they come back again and again.
They have the reading there in front of them and can read it over and over, they can get in touch with me and we can discuss the cards.

Different people, who prefer the face to face experience come to me for face to face readings.

It's all about the sitter after all.....

I object to being told that in order to be a 'real reader' you have to read for others face to face because without that face to face you're just 'pretending'...
It's not about me though, it's about the sitter...

You can be a perfectly real reader who is also a damn good reader if you only ever read for yourself and if you only read by email.

I just think it's a form of snobbishness and it seems to be a way of looking down on people who don't do things as the 'real readers' think they should.

I think that people should do whatever they like with Tarot and if you can help someone with an email reading then it's no-one's right to tell you that you're not a real reader and that they are better than you because they read face to face all the time.