Frankendecken; Instructions & General discussion

Aulruna

Ludwig's castles are my favourite places on the planet. Linderhof is actually closer than Neuschwanstein, we drive there when I really need cheering up and we spent our first wedding anniversary in the hotel next to it ... the hotel is pretty traditonal Bavarian, but you can stroll through the grounds at night ... priceless.

While I'm out here confessing, I adore Wagner too. And despite his wives and many confirmed lady friends, I believe he had another side to him.

What is the Kepler connection though? He lived 300 years earlier?

Le Fanu

Aulruna said:
What is the Kepler connection though? He lived 300 years earlier?
Not sure. I was thinking of Ludwig, King of Bavaria.. Wagner's friend & patron (what's the name of that other castle? Hohenschwang-something?)

nisaba

Another Ludwig, also a Very Strange Man.

I hadn't heard of the pink grottos before, but I wouldn't have put it past him.

The Frankendecker deserves to go to as many really peculiar places as possible.

cardlady22

nisaba said:
The Frankendecker deserves to go to as many really peculiar places as possible.
After all the places you folk take him, a quiet garden will seem peculiar . . .

nisaba

Le Fanu, do you think it would be appropriate to put somewhere at the head of this thread the links for the travelling thread and the journal thread? I see the travelling has already disappeared from view, so finding it the normal way will take time for the next person.

ETA: Oh. I see you already did. I *could* have just left this empty and perpetuated the myth of my not totally being stupid, but then the terminally curious would have sent me a hail of PMs asking ...

Aulruna

Le Fanu said:
Not sure. I was thinking of Ludwig, King of Bavaria.. Wagner's friend & patron (what's the name of that other castle? Hohenschwang-something?)

The third one is Herrenchiemsee, right in the middle of lake Chiemsee.

Hohenschwangau is right next to Neuschwanstein, rather inconspicuous compared to it, and built and re-built numerous times. Not by Ludwig though.

*sigh* Can you tell I'm passionate about castles??

gregory

nisaba said:
Le Fanu, do you think it would be appropriate to put somewhere at the head of this thread the links for the travelling thread and the journal thread? I see the travelling has already disappeared from view, so finding it the normal way will take time for the next person.

ETA: Oh. I see you already did. I *could* have just left this empty and perpetuated the myth of my not totally being stupid, but then the terminally curious would have sent me a hail of PMs asking ...
Hello stupid lady }) :*

NO WAY am I going to London. As for Iceland - do you not read the papers ? I may not even make it back to the UK !!!!!!

Oddity

aurarcana said:
Read Oddity's posts in the journal thread. Grinning ear-to-ear.

Thinking: Franke on the boardwalk/beach in New Jersey (I live in a beach town, just steps away from the ocean); reading with Frankie at the new age shop nearby, after a ghost tour/Jersey Devil sighting (yep, we have those by me :laugh:); Frankie in Central Park or Times Square (crazy, just crazy, and I'd be afraid that a stranger would take him :laugh:); Frankie on the top of the Empire State Building?

* smiles *
Oh Central Park! And with the fairy tale statues, maybe? I didn't see them when I was there two years ago...

Or, you know, just anywhere will be great, actually. Have fun! :) Surprise us!

Oddity

Le Fanu said:
I personally wouldn't want people to feel that they have to vye with one another to take the deck to meaningful, historic or whacky places. Please. Just bond... and so often we think that elsewhere is full of fascinating places and where we live doesn't have anything interesting, and this is most certainly not the case. Everywhere is interesting. A trip out for cakes or a drink or a bumpy bus ride and he'll be happy! I mean, while he was being created here in the Fanu Le Laboratory, he didn't go anywhere. I only took him out of the house once; for coffee and a cake then to the Post Office!
I agree with this. Everywhere is interesting! Everything is a story.
I've had to change plans for my Frankendeck week a few times, as it turned out I'm still swamped with work and all kinds of engagements; Skansen and a (much needed) Ikea shopping trip might not be possible – so I just let each day come as it is, let the Frankendeck hang around in my bag while I do what I need to, and we'll see what happens. If I bump across something interesting on the way, all the better. Just carrying the deck around makes me that more observant and interested in the surroundings! I'm starting to see interesting things that I didn't before because I was so familiar with them, because now I'm looking at them with fresh eyes, like I'm seeing them for the first time. Mundane as my day might be, I'm having an adventure.

I'm really looking forward to reading everybody's stories, whatever they are.