If you could design any tarot deck, what would it be like?

ChrisTheObscure

I really feel "called" to design a tarot deck someday....not for quite a while, when I've learned the tarot a bit better, but there are several I'd love to do. If you were to design a tarot deck or decks, what would they be like? What symbolism would you use, etc? For me:

The Vagrant Tarot - would feature photos of my friends and family either digitally enhanced, or copied in paint.

The Star Trek Tarot - the geek in me insists upon it. I'd use Klingons for Swords, Romulans for coins (ferengi would be more appropriate, but, alas, I don't like the ferengi ;) ), Humans for Wands and the Q continuum for cups. I'd incorporate different plot figures and characters from the series into the Major Arcana. This one I've got pretty much all filled out already.

The Pendragon Tarot - based on "The Pendragon Cylcle" of Arthurian novels by Stephen Lawhead. The only card I've sketched out for this one is Judgement, which is the destruction of Atlantis - which Lawhead describes in stunning detail.

How about you?

C.

Jewel

I have toyed around with this idea for years, but am waiting to find someone to work in collaboration with to do the deck. At this point I think It would be a fairy style deck with elemental correspondences and some very basic qabalistic concepts (if I can achieve that). By fairy style I mean I would use mer-folk in the suit of cups, sylphs in the swords, gnomes and brownies in earth, and I am still pondering fire but I am sure there would be some dragons in there *LOL*. The majors would be archetypes of the same nature. I would not be looking at making a cute sugary sweet deck, but one with a lot of depth.

ChrisTheObscure

Wow Jewel, that sounds like a phenomenal deck...when you publish it, make sure to let me know so I can buy one...or more hehe ;)

C.

Laurel

If I could design a couple of decks, the first would be called "The Tarot of the Four Worlds" and be a Qabalistic deck using primarilly astrological, alchemical, Kabbalistic (letter and angelic sigil) correspondences based on The Golden Dawn's given attributions because they are the most comon. It would be designed for intemediate tarot studies and user-friendly.

The second would be called "The Nachash Tarot" and it would be a LHP and shadowy deck, intended to be a tool for personal contemplation and magic. Nachash is a Biblical Hebrew word with a triadic meaning. Pronounced as "naw-khawsh" it means serpent, as in the Serpent in the Garden. Pronounced as "naw-khash", it means enchant/enchanter, divinate/divinator. Pronounced as "nakh-ash", it means "an incantation or augury". This deck would be designed for advanced tarot studies/magical work and explore concepts like antinomianism, apotheosis, conciousness, Neters, Xepher, etc. The images would not borrow much from traditional decks, less so than Tarot of the 4 Worlds. The idea behind it is a controversial one- that the Serpent in the Garden of Eden was not lying, and that each of us, through applied consciousness, can become "as God."

Unfortunately for me, I am a poor artist. So I'll have to hope that an amazing artist comes into my life some day and would be inspired enough to create the pictures based off my ideas. I need my own Lady Frieda Harris or Pamela Colman. :)

Liliana

An ironic one to be post after Laurel's, but Ive always wanted to design a Christian deck. Im not completely satisfied with any of the ones out there, most you either have to know a lot of symbolism to get the Christian meaning behind them, or are catered to a specific group, like Tarot of the Saints.

My deck would use major Biblical figures of the Old and New Testament for the Majors, appropriate Bible quotes with the minors, and actual royal families in the courts except for Id replace the Knight (which doesnt quite fit with a Biblical deck) with an archangel card.

Ive actually got much of it, others than the minors, figured out, but I dont have any drawing talent to actually make it. Maybe Ill take some art classes in college when i get to go and make it hehe

:THP

Kyrielle

Tarot of the Circus Without Rings. I'd streamline the name a little. Not a Barnum and Bailey deck -- something with more of an edge to it. I actually have some images in mind, but am stumped as to the suit symbols. There really aren't that many cup shapes involved in the acts I know of -- at least, hardly any with any circus significance. And there is only so much to be done with swords. I am considering a mix within suits of objects with similar shapes, like Wheel of Change does, but I'm not sure. Input and ideas are welcome!

-- Kyrielle

Violet Gargoyle

Kyrielle said:
Tarot of the Circus Without Rings. I'd streamline the name a little. Not a Barnum and Bailey deck -- something with more of an edge to it. I actually have some images in mind, but am stumped as to the suit symbols. There really aren't that many cup shapes involved in the acts I know of -- at least, hardly any with any circus significance. And there is only so much to be done with swords. I am considering a mix within suits of objects with similar shapes, like Wheel of Change does, but I'm not sure. Input and ideas are welcome!

-- Kyrielle

Are you going for just a circus feel or a sort of "carnie" feel deck? You know, like a fortune teller as the high priestess ot the Ringmaster as the Emporer.

Or you can divide the suits us in this way: Trapeze for wands (4 on the trapeze, 5 on the trapeze), knife throwers or sword swallowers for swords, water divers or clowns (with squirting flowers) for cups, and carnie booths for coins/pentacles.

I myself would want a gargoyle deck. I'd need help with the art medium since I really am only good at flat out collaging. I have it in my minds eye to have all night scenes, stars tweeked with gold gilding, nothing but marble (for humans) and rock (for gargoyle)statues and gothic-like archetecture representing the figures in the cards and maybe outlines in live looking roses or ivy. Like a really big moonlit garden.....

Kirali

Robin Hood! Sorry I know it's silly but I love it. hehe :)

Or if I could, I would commission Graeme Base to have fun with designing a tarot deck. Even if it was crazy, I would still buy it. :)

Or commission Margaret Walty! Her paintings can be viewed here Margaret Walty

Jewel

Laurel said:
Unfortunately for me, I am a poor artist. So I'll have to hope that an amazing artist comes into my life some day and would be inspired enough to create the pictures based off my ideas. I need my own Lady Frieda Harris or Pamela Colman. :)

You and me both Laurel! Who knows ... when the time is right I am sure a willing artist will appear ;)

AmounrA

If you have the will to learn, you could learn to draw and paint Jewel. The most valuable ingredient is imagination (and experience, I guess, when it comes to designing a tarot deck), and I know you have that.... the technical side can certainly be learnt given enough time and perseverance.

Perhaps that willing artist is hidden within you right now:)