If you could design any tarot deck, what would it be like?

rota

Okay, how about a Viking Tarot...?

wands become Clubs

swords become Spears

pentacles become Shields

cups become Helmets

Majors become figures from Norse stories and mythology: Freya, Wotan, Baldur, Loki, Fenris, the Frost Giants, the Norn Queen... the list is long, and could include Wagner's 'Ring' imagery or even Beowulf and Grendel.

Or did someone already think of this one?

Zhritza

Jade1033 said:
The Christian deck sounds interesting. maybe have Mary be the HP? or the Empress?

In the Templar Tarot, the High Priestess is Mary Magdalen, but I think regular-Mary might make a good Empress... although :| there is that issue of her apparent virginity.

rota, Clive Barrett's Norse Tarot features much of that pantheon, although the majors are mostly events involving the pantheon, as opposed to focusing on one person each. And some of the peripheral players like the Frost Giants aren't touched on at all (although Strength is Odin binding Loki's son the wolf - I forget his name). So a Viking Tarot sounds very feasible :)

Jackal

I need some help for my Haunted Tarot. I'm having trouble with my minors- everything seems to fit except the suit of Pentacles, Disks, whatever. The best idea I've had has beem Coffins, as they represent the spirit's ties to the material world. Any thoughts? Oh yeah, and:

Phoenix said:
I have also been toying with the idea of designing my own tarot deck!

I have been thinking of traditional RWS majors, something similar to the Ancestral Path tarot, and then using mythological creatures for each of the suits....dragons for wands, phoenix's for swords, but the last two...maybe unicorns for cups...?
How about mermaids for Cups?

rota

Jackal: How about Skulls for Pentacles?

they're round, they're material, they're scccc----aaaaa---rrrr---yyyy!!

Jackal

Re: Jackal: How about Skulls for Pentacles?

rota said:
they're round, they're material, they're scccc----aaaaa---rrrr---yyyy!!

Great minds think alike! I am actually using skulls for cups. In my tarot deck design, that is. Ahem.

rota

"Great minds think alike! I am actually using skulls for cups. In my tarot deck design, that is. Ahem."

::::::::::::::::::::::

ew! funny!

Still, skulls work great for pentacles. Just draw them with a big star scratched into the top of the cranium. Creepy!
Maybe there's some other cool option for cups... How about cauldrons? They could have witch brew and tentacles spilling out, or Addams Family-ish carbon dioxide fumes coiling out of them. Or maybe wells, or windows? Or how about Edward Gorey's cremation urns, all brass with cryptic inscriptions?

Or, if you're just DEAD set on using skulls for cups, how about family crests or shields for pentacles?

Just trying to be (heh heh heh) helpful...! (scream of cackling laughter)

Jackal

rota said:
Or, if you're just DEAD set on using skulls for cups, how about family crests or shields for pentacles?

Just trying to be (heh heh heh) helpful...! (scream of cackling laughter)

Groan!

I like the idea of family crests- shades (sorry) of Kutna Hora.