The De-Enabling Thread

Little Baron

They have a copy in Mysteries, I think, FA. Or they did a month or so ago. Must say, it is not my kind of deck.

LB

Fallen Angel

LittleBuddha said:
They have a copy in Mysteries, I think, FA. Or they did a month or so ago. Must say, it is not my kind of deck.

LB
A little off the subject LB, but dont you think Mysteries is completely over priced when it comes to tarot cards? I bought my Mythic deck from there a couple of months ago (had the book but not the cards??? dont know how that happened??) and they had stuck a price ticket over the actual price. They were charging like £2 more than recomended price????

Anyway, its not like we have a great deal of choice unless you go look at what u want then buy online. I think their crystals are a bit steep too, round the corner in the astology shop they are cheaper, but not as big mind you...anyway...why not your kinda deck?

You got one last chance to de-enable me ;) :D

Little Baron

Not quite sure why I don't like it. Just isn't my thing. Don't like the whole collage thing. Or the borders.

Yes, I know what you mean about Mysteries. I always chat to the tarot woman there, who is really nice, so I do like popping in on occasion. We go through all the decks together.
Interesting what you said because I bought my friend the Morgan Greer from there. Brand new and sealed. And it was just £8. But I find a lot of those shops push the price up a bit. Watkins is the same - even though I love that place.

But in Watkins, they do have some second hand decks, which I like rummaging through. And some cheaper ones. There was a deck called the Indian Tarot which I had never seen before, last time I went. Big glossy cards. Didn't really like it, but they do have the odd 'different' thing in there, which is good.

LB

Emily

I've been looking at the Medieval Scapini - I think I need to be de-enabled because I've got itchy fingers - I know this wouldn't be an easy deck to use and the images are really different from what I'm used to - but its so pretty, the colours and the gold keep shining off the cards - and I've been looking at the whole deck online and its not helping turn me off - so any help would be grateful before my credit card goes up in flames and me with it. })

Emily

Fallen Angel said:
A little off the subject LB, but dont you think Mysteries is completely over priced when it comes to tarot cards? I bought my Mythic deck from there a couple of months ago (had the book but not the cards??? dont know how that happened??) and they had stuck a price ticket over the actual price. They were charging like £2 more than recomended price????

Anyway, its not like we have a great deal of choice unless you go look at what u want then buy online. I think their crystals are a bit steep too, round the corner in the astology shop they are cheaper, but not as big mind you...anyway...why not your kinda deck?

You got one last chance to de-enable me ;) :D

Hi Fallen Angel,

You could always order it off Amazon. I've got my Archeon coming from the Book Depository (in the Marketplace sellers), its classed as 'Used' but I've had other decks from them and they always come factory sealed and looking brand new. and its a few pounds cheaper than Amazon are selling them new. :)

jackdaw*

Medieval Scapini ...

The cards are large. Not quite as big as the US Games Visconti decks, but large nonetheless. That makes them difficult to shuffle, carry around, or read with. It also makes the cardstock seem flimsy.

Jewel

Medieval Scapini de-enabling attempt

Emily said:
I've been looking at the Medieval Scapini
De-enabeling attempt below:

That was your first mistake ... you have to quit looking at Tarot decks if you want to be de-enabled. Come on Em, get a grip on yourself!

The minors for this deck are partially illustrated ("moody" minors), mainly pips. Now if you are a Marseilles or Thoth fan that comment alone thwarts my effort. Do you want that? or do you want fully illustrated minors? (personally I like "moody" minors, so that argument would not have worked on me)

~Jewel goes on a ramble of memories past when she owned the deck~ Lets see .... what else ..... The colors are dim ... yeah I know it is supposed have that antique feel to it, but colors are nice. What else .... I think there are nuns in the deck. If they aren't nuns, they look like nuns. If you are Catholic that's all good, but if you aren't then what use do you have for a tarot deck with nuns?

That is all I can remember .... however .... if you really want to be tempted by a Scapini deck I recommend Il Tarocco delle Vetrate! ~ducks and runs before she is attacked by the de-enablers~

Jewel

Fantastical Menagerie

~Jewel puts her addict, I mean collector, hat back on~

I have a real serious problem. I do not seem to be able to resisit the Magic Realist decks. I have been able to resist the Tarot of Prague and up until very very recently I thought I could resist the Fantastical Menagerie. After further consideration, I looked through the entire Fantastical Menagerie deck about 5 times, and I like it more and more each time. I have read a lot of incredible comments by other AT members, many who like me were not initially attracted to the deck but got it and love it.

I have cut myself off from the Fantastical Menagerie web-page in an effort to help myself, but the images continue to flow through my head. I should have followed the advice I gave Emily above, but I am much weaker than she is (*LOL*).

You see the root of the problem is that I know that all Baba decks are fabulously researched, they don't number the majors so I can put Justice at VIII any time I want to, excellent quality, and consistently exceed my expectations (which is actually not that easy). Knowing that makes resisting this urge very difficult.

Is there anyone here that can help me?

jackdaw*

Fantastic Menagerie

Ummm ... as someone who had it and traded it and is now waiting for it again because she regrets having got rid of it, I don't know how much help I'll be, but I'll try ...

1. Cards just a wee bit too big for comfortable shuffling.
2. Box I found just a little too snug, risking damaging box and/or cards when taking them out or putting them in. Requires keeping LWB elsewhere and risking losing it. Or maybe that's just me 'cause I'm a klutz.

Is that any help? Best I can do ... :(

Sidhe-Ra

Okay, can anyone come up with a good reason not to buy the Victorian Romantic tarot? (other than the fact it would be a bit naughty on my part...)

Em x