How About the Star

Ruby Jewel

Well, we are assuming it is water, but is it? It may be oil, or 'the water of life' (he that drinks of the water I shall give him shall never thirst again) or 'amrita' .

Did you see my link to Stella Maris ... Our Lady Star of the Sea ? She is the personification of the star energy you and Thirteen mention. Sailors would pray to her in storms. And she would calm the waters.

Now look at this and consider the woman in the star card;

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Popul...ugust_1893/Why_a_Film_of_Oil_Can_Calm_the_Sea

On another level :

When she traverses the dark night of the soul, finds her star and guiding light, her purpose, what is she to do then? Sit in a cave and meditate?

No. She gives out her purpose, her will and work in the world, she pours 'her essence' forth.

In the Thoth Star card she pours one out and one over herself. To me this very much suggests the 'fountain technique' , a cycling and circulation of energies 'through and over the self ... a 'shower of star energy' - it is an important process in self-healing and revitalisation.

Perhaps it also suggests the 'natal baptism' of cosmic forces ( our 'astrological graces' inherited at birth) which help us find and define what our life purpose is and what our special 'offering' will be.

It all makes for an interesting combination; water is a symbol for the emotions, feelings and the unconscious (as the Moon also is) . When it is disturbed the surface is rough. Normally the surface is how we traverse this 'crossing'. Internally, when this part of us is upset or disturbed we can feel it inside. Like a rough or choppy feeling , or a surging and heaving to and fro ( or 'butterflies' in the 'stomach') . A healing here, has a calming and stabilizing effect, our 'Hara' ( centre just below the naval) becomes stabilized and can even feel like a sloshy body of water becoming calm and still. This can also be achieved by the 'fountain techniques' or similar yogic tantric practice to stabilize and vitalise the whole 'auric field' .

Here is a little visualisation of it @ 6:45 - 8:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDlC7oG_2W4

Well, I did look at Our Lady Star of the Sea and found it very significant. I particularly relate to the idea that she "leads" the sailors home. That seems to be a theme found in other perennial philosophies.....ie the Star of Bethlehem and the three wise men. When I think of the Star in the tarot, I see it in terms of the Papus structure in which she is a part of the triad 16 (Tower), 17 (Star), and 18 (Moon) at the conclusion of the Night Sea Journey through the Underworld (13 through 18). The next and last card after the Star is the Moon, and I see the Star as leading the lost Fool through the Moon Card (of addiction, nervous breakdown, etc) in the Underworld, down the path that goes through the Towers in that card........out of the Dark Night into the Sun Card (18). A true Guiding Spirit/Star.

I see what you mean about "pouring her essence forth." Since the pond is right there which she dips from, I am satisfied that it is water that she pours. Especially since she is Aquarius, the Water Bearer. Perhaps like Prometheus who brought fire to mankind, she brings water.....water to drink and water to soak the earth for the plant kingdom. For, without water, there is no Hope for mankind.....none whatsoever.

ravenest

I think the key is not to see it as just water ... it is special water.

However even seeing it as 'physical water', what we need is pure , or purified or energised water. 'Cosmic forces' have part to do with that. So do moonlight and lightning (I 'made' some the other night during a storm).

We cant loose our water ... the earth has a certain amount of water and we cant use it up ... just move it around.

We certainly know how to damage and pollute water though. But we also know the opposite (some irrigation systems that are thousands of years old are still delivering pure water in places in Asia ... some in other places of Asia and Australia are breaking down after less than 200 because they are not doing it right).

nisaba

The star is the glimmer of a future. Which is why it's "hope." Because so long as you can see the glimmer of a future, you have hope. In fact, with Aquarius as its sign, it's always looking to the future.

I have at least one deck where the creator envisaged the card as being about "time". And even with the common perception of hopefulness, time as a meaning works. What is hope, but a belief that things will get better not right now but through the passage of time?

Ruby Jewel

I think the key is not to see it as just water ... it is special water.

However even seeing it as 'physical water', what we need is pure , or purified or energised water. 'Cosmic forces' have part to do with that. So do moonlight and lightning (I 'made' some the other night during a storm).

We cant loose our water ... the earth has a certain amount of water and we cant use it up ... just move it around.

We certainly know how to damage and pollute water though. But we also know the opposite (some irrigation systems that are thousands of years old are still delivering pure water in places in Asia ... some in other places of Asia and Australia are breaking down after less than 200 because they are not doing it right).

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...a=X&ei=v6t3VMKjMY7y8QWt2ICgBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Water, water everywhere
and not a drop to drink.
Water, water everywhere
and all the boards did shrink.

I wonder, is this to be our legacy to future generations.

Thirteen

In the Thoth Star card she pours one out and one over herself. To me this very much suggests the 'fountain technique' , a cycling and circulation of energies 'through and over the self ... a 'shower of star energy' - it is an important process in self-healing and revitalisation.
Ah, yes! Thank you for reminding me that in many Star cards she's actually pouring the water over herself as well as filling the pool. Still a very conscientious card--don't use up all the water on yourself, take only what you need.

I love the idea of the circulation of energies through the self and shower of star energy. This also adds another dimension, I think, to the Star before the Moon. There's a certain, interesting beat to some of the Tarot sequences. You'll have one card that is conservative, reserved in what it's getting, and then it is often followed by the person going overboard. As if, in the conservative card, they took their first shot of tequila, and in the next card they're celebrating their birthday by guzzling down several flights. And then, in the card that follows that, it's total-"Never again"-abstinence :joke:

Thinking of the star this way, it and the Moon feel a little like that. It's like the person has experienced the cool, regulated, refreshing and healing spill of just enough water--the star energy that lets them see the future. And they think, "If a little can give me that kind of hopeful insight, I wonder what a lot will give me..." And they dive into the Moon's deep oceans only to find themselves tossed about and nearly drowned.

And, then, of course, they climb out and want nothing more than to lay in the sun and be dry and warm and not wet at all :D Something like that.

Kgirl

Kgirl, I think of those aspects also, though I've never thought of the person far away one. I love that!

I used to hate the card, believe it or not, because it always made me feel that it was telling about false hopes and misplaced optimism, reaching for something so far away that it could never actually be held, only wished for, but I've gotten it more recently in a case where I saw the aspects of healing, calm and patience, maybe forgiveness also, and because of her nudity, simply Truth and transparency. WYSIWYG, nothing to hide. Trust.

Although, in that context, I could see the negative or extreme aspect of it as being SO transparent as someone who is unable to keep a secret, someone who ALWAYS feels that "the truth, the WHOLE truth, and nothing but the truth" should be presented right up front, no matter what.

Thanks for your insight Tiggy Cat. Very interesting indeed!

It was so nice that you took the time to acknowledge my contribution here even if the poster who asked this question has not bothered to.

:)

Ruby Jewel

I do feel it is fitting that it follows the Tower. A spiritual awakening has occurred, a cleansing and the promise of tomorrow is exemplified in the presence of the Star card in a reading. It is at night that we face our demons, where it is just you and you alone or you with your God where you have to face the truth, realise the reality and its the Star that gets you through it and carries you into the morning for a new beginning. It keeps you afloat.

It is hope but I also see it as peace, calm, healing and patience. I've also seen it to mean that someone who is far away is thinking of you.

Sometimes it comes up to represent a person and in those instances I take it to mean the person is special, someone who brings a magical touch to a difficult situation, someone very beautiful, someone who shines, someone who seems to be doing everything right.

Your take on this card is so much like mine. For instance, I see this card as being at the end of the Night Sea Journey in the Underworld (cards 13 through 18). The Star is there at the end to lead one through the Moon card and out of the dark night into the Sun card which is a spiritual awakening. (hmmmm....interesting thought about the Sun card, huh?) I see the Star as a "guiding spirit" that says "take my hand and come with me."

Although I see her as a personal spirit who knows me, I hadn't thought about it as someone far away who is thinking about me, but that is interesting because there are times I can feel that I'm actually communicating with someone far away and they are also thinking of me. When I did a "Guiding Spirit" reading for a client a couple weeks ago, The Star came up and when I pointed to it and said "There's your guiding spirit," the fellow started crying. So I think you have brought something up here that is not only unique, but really rings true for me about this card. I already know that I will always see that aspect of her when she appears in a reading from now on. Thank you!!

Oh, and by the way, if you hadn't "tapped" me on the shoulder, I might never have found this golden nugget way of seeing the Star....so, double thanks.

Ruby Jewel

Kgirl, I think of those aspects also, though I've never thought of the person far away one. I love that!

I used to hate the card, believe it or not, because it always made me feel that it was telling about false hopes and misplaced optimism, reaching for something so far away that it could never actually be held, only wished for, but I've gotten it more recently in a case where I saw the aspects of healing, calm and patience, maybe forgiveness also, and because of her nudity, simply Truth and transparency. WYSIWYG, nothing to hide. Trust.

Although, in that context, I could see the negative or extreme aspect of it as being SO transparent as someone who is unable to keep a secret, someone who ALWAYS feels that "the truth, the WHOLE truth, and nothing but the truth" should be presented right up front, no matter what.

It is interesting that you see the Star as someone who can't keep a secret....like Pandora who could not help opening the box to discover the big "secret". The Star is actually Pandora in Liz Greene's original Mythic Tarot back in the 80s and 90s. Since that was the first deck I studied, that is still the way I see this card.

I also note that the "truth" that you speak of here is sort of like a "guiding principle" that often becomes the "Star" that guides us through learning how to cope as children trying to survive.....especially for those who are lost in the confusion of the Moon card (usually because of the absence of parenting).

This interpretation really speaks to me. Thanks.

Tanga

"Interpreting The Star"

My favourite major arcanum. How nice to bump into everyone chatting about it here.
I see The Star as a card representing good health. And also I see the star in me - as someone who walks about the earth with a childlike wonder and expectation of discovering what new and exciting thing might be around the next corner. :) :)

She is also Venus rising from the water in her oyster shell (y'know the painting. I've also seen another version where she's sitting in the shell - can't find that again now, anyone know the one I mean and can direct me to info on it?). Sensuous - enjoyment of her body and of being embodied. So = enjoy your physicality.

Ishtar, Astra, Venus, Nuit. Hail to the lady in the heavens!
She represents the connection/discourse with Deity/higher self etc. -
"...go out beneath the naked night and get religion there".

The guiding star - the guiding principle, the 'messenger from God' - whether it be a human being, a pet, a spirit guide - the template or ideal picture from which to work.
As Nuit holds back chaos from the earth (without her all would be senseless) - her protection and impact are profound and yet intangible.

"Lady of night, that turning ever about us art now visible and now invisible in thy season, be thou favourable to hunters, and lovers, and to all men that toil upon the earth, and to all mariners upon the sea"

"Leave the illusions, life and time
And Death, and seek that star sublime,".

Thankyou for the quotes and poetry ravenest. Beautiful.
I agree - The Star speaks of studying 'the essence' (the 'Tama') of who we are - 'know thyself' - discover your True Will.

I have at least one deck where the creator envisaged the card as being about "time". And even with the common perception of hopefulness, time as a meaning works. What is hope, but a belief that things will get better not right now but through the passage of time?

Yes - the future is bright with possibilities - so take note that with time one has the possibility of discovering them all (we hope!).

...I see this card as being at the end of the Night Sea Journey in the Underworld (cards 13 through 18). The Star is there at the end to lead one through the Moon card and out of the dark night into the Sun card which is a spiritual awakening. (hmmmm....interesting thought about the Sun card, huh?) I see the Star as a "guiding spirit" that says "take my hand and come with me."

Huh - cool. The Underworld. So she's those two guys that helped Innana get out again when she descended to her sister's domain in Hell, all the while dis-assembling and re-examining herself - then being 'hung on a hook' ("Come now sister, come... wrap yourself in shadow, witness what you are..." I'm remembering the song 'Ereshkigal' by Wendy Rule).

"Someone far away who is thinking about me" - hadn't seen that - thankyou.

And by Ruby Jewel: "Will there be healing? Will there be a hero to lead us through the Dark Night? Will the North Star guide the lost generations home? The Star says there is Hope."

Amen to that! So may it be.

Thirteen

then being 'hung on a hook' ("Come now sister, come... wrap yourself in shadow, witness what you are..."
But at that point we're back at the Hanged Man, no? Innana had many faces, the Star being one of them. The other was that hanged god who is suspended/sacrificed in "death" for a certain number of days, and then restored to the world, transformed, enlightened and with a great new store of knowledge to pass on. A story which was taken up by the Vikings with Odin and, well, others... ;)