Visconti Sforza - Seeing the Money in Trump #1

kwaw

Debra said:
A skilled artist made that image. If he'd wanted to show coins, they'd be much more obvious--including perhaps a few coins clearly visible on the table or at the edges of the heap.

I think that argument falls down on the basis that it is not clearly shown whatever it is, despite the skill of the artist. Perhaps if it was coins it gold foil was included here and has subsequently rubbed of; I can certainly see the coins, and the straw hat, and a cake...

...a very skillful artist indeed :p

gregory

kwaw said:
I think that argument falls down on the basis that it is not clearly shown whatever it is, despite the skill of the artist. Perhaps if it was coins it gold foil was included here and has subsequently rubbed of; I can certainly see the coins, and the straw hat, and a cake...

...a very skillful artist indeed :p
I see a coiled snake, too....

And pasta.

kwaw

gregory said:
I see a coiled snake, too....

And pasta.

... and a négligée.

And, I could probably find a symbolic and historical reason for most of them, for some of them, I already have :p

yirabeth

I showed Teheuti's enlarged scan to my son, who has never seen the deck, or even the other scans on this thread to preconceive a notion...he says no...don't see coins...hmm...seashell is what I see... (he's 14 and took me seriously)

I do like the sounds of the woven hat idea though :)

~Yira

moderndayruth

yirabeth said:
I showed Teheuti's enlarged scan to my son, who has never seen the deck, or even the other scans on this thread to preconceive a notion...he says no...don't see coins...hmm...seashell is what I see... (he's 14 and took me seriously)
:thumbsup:

Given that otherwise we'll hardly arrive to the consensus, i suggest we start a poll, and democratically vote for the final stance on what the image by "very skillful artist" pictures:

(some of the possibilities, feel free to add more )
1. Coiled snake
2. Coins
3. Hat
4. Cheese cake
5. Seashell
6. The brain tissue of an alien that fell down from the spaceship
7. All of the above /none of the above

Bernice

Moderator note:

Please keep on-topic people.

Until a comparison has been made of the chinese printing of this deck with other copies, the ambiguous hat-like object remains open for interpretation.

Off-topic posts have been removed.

Bernice.

yirabeth

moderndayruth said:
:thumbsup:

Given that otherwise we'll hardly arrive to the consensus, i suggest we start a poll, and democratically vote for the final stance on what the image by "very skillful artist" pictures:

(some of the possibilities, feel free to add more )
1. Coiled snake
2. Coins
3. Hat
4. Cheese cake
5. Seashell
6. The brain tissue of an alien that fell down from the spaceship
7. All of the above /none of the above

I think, much like all tarot can vary per card by individual insight and intuition, this card will not be decided upon. Because it's individual, and each of us will see what we are predisposed to see...(I thought to myself, as my son declared seashell, Okay son..whatever...hehe)

As for what it really is? That's to be lost in time, I'd imagine, unless someone here is talented in talking to the dead - and the rest of us are unlikely to put a lot of faith into that :)

~Yira

Rosanne

lol most interesting. Can anyone give a lucid explanation for a cake? a snake?
etc etc. I would love to know what the white mass is. To me, it could well have been a pile of spun wool or cotton- but ahhhh the straw hat is the most romantic by far. This was apparently a gift to his wife (or some would say his daughter if Visconti) so it would have to have a personal meaning one would think. A negligee indeed would fit the bill :D but I have seen pictures of Renaissance brides- fully dressed in bed or naked no inbetweens. Only Hollywood puts those ladies in a cotton shift. So I await explanations....at least the coins had some relevance......

a cheesecake? That is an American concoction I believe, though the Greeks gave their athletes a similar type of thing without sugar. A Cake- well a wedding cake was a loaf of bread in Italy- and the groom broke it over the Bride's head. Why? it sybolised the end to her virginity. I would have smaked him back.
~Rosanne

kwaw

Rosanne said:
lol most interesting. Can anyone give a lucid explanation for a cake?

Perhaps our poet introducing the series is a tutor, and is lettering littles balls of broken dough/loaf/cake with the alphabet with a dribble of honey for ink, so that learning may be sweet on the tongues of his charges. The act of digestion, of taking something into oneself, was believed to aid memorisation, sweets also connected learning with pleasure and play, rather than a chore; in keeping with humanist principles of education of the period. There is also a magical aspect of course, still retained in the practice of writing affirmations, blessings, messages on cakes and making wishes over them; also the aspect of lottery type divination (as per finding a hidden object such as a coin in a cake).

This was apparently a gift to his wife (or some would say his daughter if Visconti) ...

Well so some have said but is this a proven? Or remains a suggestion?

and the groom broke it over the Bride's head. Why? it sybolised the end to her virginity... I would have smaked him back.

A practice now more commonly symbolised by the act of bride and groom being the first to cut the cake together? What do you suggest in 'retaliation' for that, a stabbing :p

Another example of the symbolism of cake, as the ending of virginity and beginning of a marriage... (and the ensuing 'multiplication', fertility and fecundity being symbolised by the division of the cake).

kwaw

Bernice

Kwaw: ....and is lettering littles balls of broken dough/loaf/cake with the alphabet with a dribble of honey for ink, so that learning may be sweet on the tongues of his charges. The act of digestion, of taking something into oneself, was believed to aid memorisation, sweets also connected learning with pleasure and play, rather than a chore; in keeping with humanist principles of education of the period.
The act of digestion, of taking something into oneself,... is indeed an ancient belief, and it's still practised today. i.e.The making of some rune-shaped biscuits so as to 'digest' the meaning/energy of them.

But I'd still like to see a scan of the card that creakingcricket has, the chinese printed one. Can we have an ISBN for the deck you have cc?

I have the LS Mini (Not printed in China), and with a magnifying glass the heap resembles the description that Teheuti gave in post 9. (What is FMR?).

Bee :)