How do I start

Arcane

Hi all,

I have a brilliant idea for a tarot deck. Using the lyrics of songs for images and the songs themselves should represent the essence of the card. I already am listening to many hours of music and beginning to build a comprehensive list. I am no artist, I know what the images should look like but do not have the talent to put them to paper. Can any one offer me any advice on how I start creating my own deck.

Love and light
Arcane

Moonboy

I would say...learn to draw? Maybe find someone who can draw and relay your ideas to? [author/illustrator]

Maybe gather photos and use photoshop or something and meld your ideas.

good luck!

Durant Hapke

scratch in...

Arcane,

Kind of a DJ deal, right on?

You are a galactic spin magician -- scratching, and "cross fading."

Bring that Jack bird action.

I've a guess, your on the tracks.

Collage is the place to be -- Arcane, is in the MF house!

Bust out the old "album jackets," the old issues of this, and that -- the glue, the scissors, tape, colored pencils, and go old school!

Yeah, baby!

Work proportionally accurate -- card hight, and width times x -- but go large -- perhaps 5"w x 8.629"h -- work on cut up cereal boxes -- but bust it free.

Like cutting, and pasting the music tracks, the songs, and tunes your compiling (yeah, there's action in the funk titles as well -- connections to the cards is a map of funky reflection -- "It's live, Arcane, un-plugged"), how you bring it all together is the key.

Call your computer friend with a scanner, and bust originals into files for tweaking.

Tweaking, tweak, a tweak tweak.

Add text -- add contrast - bust up the color.

As a bit of DH love check this action, there's a killer little paint program -- I Jack bird can't believe is twenty bucks -- have a look:

http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

Your pilot helmet is ready.

Durant "I've got some old stamps you can have" Hapke

Wings

Brilliant !

Welcome . . .YES...D.H. that is the most encouraging creative answer to that
question......Arcane...check out some of the mydrid decks here that are in
process...DH's advice is right on..be consistant with size and proportion and let the music move you through the process...you will be an artist before you're done...and spiritually it's like peeling the onion of your soul...hope you will share your journey with us here at AT and check out some of the creators here...from a skinny onion
:smoker:
Wings

Lewen

Sounds like a lovely idea, especially since music and lyrics of songs do touch people deeply. I can remember certain times of my life by hearing a song when it comes on the radio.

With that being said, if you are using lyrics from songs (printing them etc.) you might want to look into the copyright of it. I just finished reading the copyright sticky up here and thought I'd pass that along.

I look forward to seeing your idea develop!

Arcane

Many thanks to all answers - especially DH'S well worded reply. I am hoping to combine my three loves here. Music, Tarot and Writing. I cannot think of a more wonderful way of passing away the time than doodling, listening and writing. This all started from a study a made of the archetypes of some of the Majors in the Thoth deck and related them to songs - as they say the seed was sown.

I blame it on my miss spent childhood listening the radio or the walkman in the garden, on the bank of the River Thames when visiting my nan and step grandfather. My sister and I trying to work the 'meaning' behind the lyrics - oh and too much pocket money spent on Smash Hits magazine :) I still listen to music although the equipment now is an iPod and dock instead of an old cassette walkman!

I am looking using the lyrics in the book rather than recreating them on the cards. Although using elements of those lyrics to create the image and the essence of the cards - climbing mount everest might be an easier accomplishment :D

I will certainly share my efforts when I get them produced. I will also be picking brains no doubt on 'songs that remind you of certain cards'.

For now I have an image of the Magician using Don't stop me now by Queen. Image lady godiva driving a fast car in all her glory!

Thanks for so much enthusiasm

:love: Arcane - Spinning and mixing and getting right down ;)

Willocwen

Durant Hapke, that was the best reply to anything, ever.