Do you sit around and shuffle your decks?

kduphily

I do this quite often, when I went on vacation last May I took a few decks with me on the plane and shuffled during take off.....daughter thought i was nuts but was very relaxed about take off and landing lol

danielnogo

I do this quite often, when I went on vacation last May I took a few decks with me on the plane and shuffled during take off.....daughter thought i was nuts but was very relaxed about take off and landing lol

Lol thats a good idea to take your cards and do a one card draw before you board lol, if you get the tower might not want to board lol.

But yeah, I literally shuffle my decks so much that after awhile my right shoulder starts hurting, and my decks start to fray a little bit, I'm now seeing one of the benefits of having borders, I never realized before cards would start fraying from being shuffled.

darkbookworm13

Me too!

I like shuffling my decks very much, it is something I had to gain more skill in, because when I first started, my technique was all over the place.

I find it soothing to just handle the deck, stroke the edges as I overhand shuffle, then cut the cards and riffle them for awhile, then overhand again.

I agree that it infuses my decks with my energy, whenever I have tried using a deck that has been left alone for weeks (due to school, kids, etc.) I find the whole thing feels cold and rigid.

The funny thing is my 3 kids come running over whenever I am shuffling my decks to see the cards, and my 3 1/2 year old asks me where her cards are. I gave her my Wishcraft Tarot deck, and I created a collection of drawings on lined note cards leftover from college, of all her favorite drawings. She carries them all over and plays with them whenever she sees I have my cards.

avalonian

YES. ALL THE TIME. I hate to say it but I definitely do that more than I do any actually reading. Sometimes just holding a deck can be very comforting.

Ditto,

My deck shuffling started when I gave up smoking, it gave me something to do with my hands but it also felt very calming. I've even bought certain decks just because they feel so lovely to shuffle. Royal Fez Moroccan and a very well used Sheridan Douglas spring to mind. I take my Thoth around with me a lot as it is a lovely size and cardstock for shuffling, I've spent many car journeys shuffling a deck (in the passenger seat, I hasten to add!).

:) :) :)

greatdane

Yes. That's how I stay in touch with them, literally, and get to know them. And I find shuffling soothing.

PAMUYA

I dont pick up my cards unless I am doing a reading. If I am in front of the tube I am doing mending or a project, or on this site. ;)

greatdane

I was not a card player, much less reader

It took me awhile to get really comfortable shuffling and different decks, depending on size, stock, thickness shuffle differently. I do find that shuffling some that are a little more of a challenge for me to handle makes it easier when I am doing a reading. They don't feel awkward.

celticnoodle

I love to shuffle cards all the time too. I love cards. playing cards, oracle cards, tarot cards. I shuffle one of them all the time if I'm just sitting watching tv, or a passenger in a car. I always had cards in my hands, even as a kid. I've always collected cards too-playing cards, tarot and oracle cards. Then, after I shuffle them - before I put them away, I have to put them back into order. Ace-King, for playing cards, and of course for Tarot, fool to World and then Ace to King.

Alta

Moderator note:

Some posts have been removed from the thread, as they were getting personal between members and/or being critical of each other's preferences.

This is light-hearted discussion, please keep it civil.

Alta

Alea

I love shuffling my cards, sadly I'm so scared of early wear and tear, fraying and getting worn easily, I tend to hold off from it but sometimes I use old or cheap cards and shuffle the heck outta them! I agree, it's very soothing, calming and keeps the hands busy.
I am a very anxious type of person and I *am* the type to fiddle with my hair, rub my arms/hands and it's come to the point I just write down Tarot Decks I like, I've gone through 2 small notepads now! I'm trying to be more productive now and writing down Majors, minors, courts and their meanings and what they mean to me instead n_n
but yes, shuffling a lot very good, just make sure you shuffle with durable cards, old cards you don't mind getting worn(er) or cheap ones you can easily buy again to use for shuffling.