Le Tarot Noir - Imagérie médiévale populaire

gregory

Mine just arrived. I am stunned - but also very busy. It IS worth it !

Le Fanu

Listen to gregory (and me!)

agviz

Mine arrived today. It's great. The style reminds me ever so slightly of Terry Gilliam's Monty Python animation. I expected one of the character's mouth to start moving and say, "Now for something completely different!"

Ditto to all the comments on this thread. The artwork is fantastic, the production quality with gilded edges is top drawer, and yes it is probably cumbersome to shuffle. Because of the latter point, I won't be using this deck for reading too often. While side shuffling might help, I'll end up grabbing an easy to shuffle deck because I'm too lazy. No need to lament, I will enjoy this as an art deck.

One more thought. I knew going in that the format was TdM (which I love). But after seeing the artist's great skill, I wished it was a scenic pip deck instead. It would have allowed the artist to showcase his skill much further. His style is too good to relegate to say, two sticks on a card. Scene after scene for an entire deck of 78 cards would have been monumental. And had it been something easy to shuffle, it might have become one of my all-time favorites.

strings of life

Le Fanu, your review further enabled me....now I have a copy on its way to me. I know the cards are big, but if I can shuffle and read with my Rohrig, I can learn to work with this one. And I love that it's a TdM-inspired deck :thumbsup:. That was a bonus for me!

Le Fanu

And you can always just fan out and ask querents to pick cards. There's always a way round it!

Dark Victory '39

v. good job

alright i caved. pushed the paypal button this morning. Ordered it from the same supplier as agviz, I think. So welcome to my world Le Noir, I will struggle with your pips as i do all pips, but i will pour over your majors, and hopefully feel the joy in the gloomy velvet-tinted newly ploughed fields. Or however it was le fanu described it. Mournful yet harvest-y? I'll quit while i'm ahead. No more decks though for a while. no more squirreling money.

Annabelle

Mine arrived today! It is even more beautiful than I'd hoped it would be. It's really lovely. And warm and readable, as well.

And the companion book is a thing of wonder; full color throughout, with images of all the cards. And I read just enough French to understand the written copy, too :).

This deck stands out as one of my best tarot purchases of the year, without doubt.

strings of life

Mine arrived as well and it is simply spectacular! I was grinning ear-to-ear while opening at work and want to take it with me outside during lunch at the park so I can grin some more.

I love every card, Majors and Minors. It's a glorious and readable TdM in a style that I dreamed of. I LOVE THAT THIS IS A TDM DECK! LOVE!

Yes the cards are huge, but they look like they will be manageable. Love the gold gilt edges and the overall presentation as well. The deck can be stowed away like a book on a bookshelf without fear of the cards falling out of the slipcase.

nicky

I got mine and they are fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick Booker

Got mine from Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...rot noir&sprefix=le+tarot+noir,stripbooks,905

Not that many in stock now though.

It's on Amazon US too:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...-keywords=le tarot noir&sprefix=le+tarot+,aps

The book is useless to me as I don't know French, but this is still worth every penny. Pretty close to perfection - card stock and surface just as I like them, and lovely, quirky art. I love traditional decks, and for me this captures their essence in a really original way. Interesting that the Sun is based upon the Vieville.

Patrick