Le Tarot Noir - Imagérie médiévale populaire

The Happy Squirrel

The best value for money and the best modern adaptation of the marseilles!

The Happy Squirrel

Oooooo that's very nice too! But in my subjective world, Le Tarot Noir is still the best, because, it is almost like a direct take rather a reinterpretation of that make sense :)

rylla

Oh my! Surfing AT is very expensive!!! - also it makes me happy:) So if I do the balance: less money + more happy = it is still a gain isn't it? (this math works for me each time I buy a new deck:)

Basically I just wanted to share with you my excitement that I ordered the Tarot Noir (which I did not know that existed a few days ago)

velvetina

oh my goodness!

It has been a long time since I felt like this about a Tarot deck. I absolutely love it, unreservedly.

There is nothing I can fault - it makes me feel a little unsettled (the horses like anatomical drawings, the staring, luminous eyes) and yet I feel familiarity (echoes of the Madonni, an old love, and Tim Burton).

I think I might have found my perfect deck.

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks Kuroga for sharing this at the start! I wonder if you still feel the same about the deck after you have some time with it?

This is the one deck I would never contemplating on cutting. I think all that space and size is what makes the deck. Amongst other things of course. As these things go, they are a combination of a few elements coming together perfectly, while each of the elements if standing alone are unremarkable.

I bought this deck few weeks ago. It is called 'Le Tarot Noir', by Justine Thernel and Matthieu Hackerie. I was interested in knowing if any of you had heard of it, if you own it and use it, and what you think of it.

At first, I thought I had bought a TdM in dark colors, and I liked the pictures on the box. However, once I opened it I realised the cards were huge. The quality of the artwork is high, and I would really like to read with this cards but their size scares me off. Attached you can find an image of some cards, and of another of bridge-size deck I use.

I have actually read with them once, but I do not feel comfortable with the huge size. Shuffling is better than I thought, as the cards are thin (although the golden border really is a bit loud). However, because of the size, spreading more than two cards takes a lot of space. When your spread is out, the figures are so broad that your eyes get easily tired in trying to get the whole picture. Again, the artwork I find delightful but it is not really usable for readings. At least for me. One day I might cut it into a functional size.

One note on the packaging, which is very goth-chic and appealing. It is the bluntest waste of material ever needed, as no information is provided on the huge box apart from a mysterious description of the cards, a very small picture (in which, ok, one can see they are bigger but not that big!) and NO CARD SIZE. The glossy booklet that comes with it is nicely worded but poorly researched for a tarot of 'middle age popular imagery'. I am talking of this one http://www.antremonde.com/product.php?id_product=3646 .

Yes, my mistake, I probably bought just a piece of artwork and thought it was a workable deck. My bad.

Does anyone here use it?

Peace,

Kuroga

Dark Victory '39

Been using this about a week, and as long as everyone knows that this is only my 2nd TdM deck, and that i struggle w/ TdM's as a whole, (though am devoutly working on it) I have to say I think the larger size is actually helping me w/ reading the pips. I'm having a grand old time comparing the two TdM's side by side; the other i own is the ISIS and i have always been able to do a lot w/ their pop-eyes. Echoing, the 'really beautiful' that others have chimed in; these backs w/ the frenchy butter colored flower on black might be some of my favorites. The only thing that i wish were a little different is the card stock itself; it's high quality no doubt but it's not v. flexible; so if you're expecting supple texture you wont b getting that.

agviz

Been using this about a week...The only thing that i wish were a little different is the card stock itself; it's high quality no doubt but it's not v. flexible; so if you're expecting supple texture you wont b getting that.

How have you been shuffling it?

Patrick Booker

I have been meditating with this deck for about three weeks to get to know it. I love it - enigmatic and full of character. It sort of both is and isn't a traditional deck somehow. But I haven't really shuffled it yet. I have small hands, and it will be difficult if I shuffle as I normally do.

Patrick

Dark Victory '39

shuffling

Agviz, i've been doing the 'vegas' thing of fanning it out in a long line and then randomly picking.

Can others comment, is this one of the only marseille decks that's this large? It's funny, but for a newbie, the larger canvas of the pips really really helps me both in seeing their details, and for whatever reason it's like i'm able to just take a deep exhale and look more leisurely w/out freaking out, wands or swords, flower petals turned inward or out. It's kind of like a sigh....ahhhhhh.