Fatima Oracle

Le Fanu

... Does anyone know and use the Fatima Oracle? This one?

http://www.llewellyn.com/bookstore/book.php?pn=J605

I like the look of it (a facsimilie of a 1927 deck; has a brash art deco feel to it) and have seen it cheap in a local bookshop. I have a hunch from the few illustrations that Ive been able to see on the internet that it is a Lenormand deck. All the images (Sun, snake, boat, horseman...)seem to tie in with Lenormand images. Anyone care to enlighten me?

silverr

It's Lenormand-based, but via a Spanish/Portugeuse tradition.

There are only 31 cards;
Knight (Horseman)
Violets (Clover)
Home (House)
Ship
Clouds
Snake
Flowers
Scythe
Sparrow (Birds)
Young Boy (Child)
Fox
Bear
Star
Stork
Dog
Tower
Garden
Mountain
Mouse
Heart
Ring
Sphynx (Book)
Letter
Man
Woman
Lilies
Sun
Moon
Key
Fish
Anchor
Cross

The art is very poster-like which works perfectly for illustrating symbols. The borders are a solid color, thin, and slightly offset to permit room on the side for the title in five languages: English, Italian, Spanish, French, German

If you like Lenormand, you'll like Fatima. :)

Trump Lloyd

Lo Scarabeo's reproduction just doesn't quit seem right. But never having seen the originals, I don't know for sure.

I'll bet the original box, notes, size, colors, texture, and backs all worked together to create something more charming (or appealingly lurid). I also get the sense that we're missing some distinctive looking text that would have set the tone for the whole deck.

I bought it from Llewellyn on sale for $5 and to make my order ship for free. I would not buy them again for $5.00.

MsRubyRain

I had that deck but sold it when I needed some extra money. Never got a chance to get to know it. I actually liked the looks of it.

emmsma

I very nearly bought this deck from newagediscountbooks.com.
The price is right, if you wanted to give it a try. I actually may go back for it, now. :)

strings of life

Stores seem to be unable to give this one away it seems; it's quite inexpensive around here. Funny finding this thread - I love the artwork and colors, but then again, I am a sucker for anything Art Deco. I really like this...

Did any of you get it (and actually keep it or read with it)?

I'd be one of the trimmers. Soon to be trying out Lenormand style readings, so this fits the bill.

Bernice

I got it :). My only winge is that it only has 34 cards, I wish it had 36 like the Lenormand - which it appears to be a close version of.

The artwork ..... is oddly appealing. I say oddly because I'm not usually drawn to the poster-style.

Final conclusion = I like it. Haven't read with it yet, but I like it.

Bee :)

ETA: Ooops. 32 cards not 34!

Le Fanu

when I get it out I am haunted by those "missing" cards. Which ones are they (I forget)?

I find this such an odd deck to reprint. Seems weirdly daubed and bright. I like it but I don't know if I find it beautiful. Bold, yes...

I sometimes get it out and then opt for Lenormand instead!

Bernice

'Missing' cards are;

Tree
Whips
Paths/Roads
Coffin

:(

Bee