When the sun results in something bad?

MandMaud

The Sun can be about ego.
And childishness. Selfishness, but that kind of selfishness which arises out of innocence - thoughtlessness.

Or a simplistic, black-n-white view of life.
Or the centre - someone taking centre stage, or taking up all the space that should be shared.

... the cuckoo in the nest sometimes.

As well as scorching, dehydrating (deserts, barrenness, and lack of Cups' emotions/soul/sympathy); burning; as many have already said.

To avoid biasing my interpretation with wishful thinking, if the subject matters to me, I "rehearse" the cards I would like to see in certain positions - AND those I dread seeing. For example if I were reading for myself about a relationship that I didn't want to end, while shuffling I'd probably think of the Lovers, the 2 of Cups, that kind of thing in the outcome position; then I'd make myself consider how it would be if Death came up, or the 10 of Swords, etc. (Justice or Judgement will always make me uneasy too, in that kind of context.)

It's rare that a card I've "rehearsed" like this actually shows up where I thought about it. But this somehow sorts me out in my own mind, gets me clear on what is my wish and what isn't. Like freeing the part of me that faces unpleasant truths, just practising, before I know whether I do have to face any.

Mystica7

The Sun may show up in the outcome position when something has to -and will- end *for the good*, despite seemingly bad or painful events may bring the end.

Unlike the Tower, The Sun's promise is that: You will feel refreshed, happy and free at last as a result of this change. Something better is sure to come after the bad experience, and since the Sun signifies also a sincere enlightenment; rest assured, you will not be repeating the same cycle which caused the painful events! That's the freedom Sun offers.

No matter what, consider yourself lucky if you get the Sun as an outcome even if it has to shine first on the bad to clear/burn it away for the good.

Inana

No similar experience - but - the sun can set light to things, in the right conditions - simply burn them away. Clear the decks so that you can start over.
I will... I should clean not only the deck, but a lot of emotional stuff! Thanks for the suggestion.

Mystica7

Remember the Sun also represents the Yang, both the counterpart and complementary element of the Yin which is signified by the Moon. Yang has to burn and destroy to make room for the new; the seed of new creation -this way- lies in it.

Inana

Sometimes we read a card and interpret what we want to hear or see. Sometimes we have already made the decision and want the Tarot to reinforce this decision. When we then receive this confirmation we act on it, without further considerations.

The Sun is a card of promise, visually presenting a good day in the warm sun, it often also have images of youth, warmth, and energy. This can sometimes be misleading and people might act with energy. However the Sun is a card of illumination, following the moon, lighting the dark corners, unveiling what the moon might have hidden. It promises lighting the dark corners, bringing to light hidden emotions, thoughts, and other issues. What it needs you to do is to stand still for a few moments and examine carefully all these things that have come to light.

Can it signify "bad" things? It will certainly put things in the light, for you to see them. Don't go flying with wings of wax.

This last sentence is the one that most caught my attention. So true. The sun is like going back to reality after a dream. Probably I was like Icarus, living and impossible dream, then just fell.

Inana

Ever since I learnt how to use tarot, I don't think I've come across a single case in which the Sun brought good news. In my experience, it is at best a card about revelations, things coming to light, generally not leading to good news, and at worse about anger, pride, and a generally unconciliatory attitude. In relationships, it has often spelt an ending, or at least a major burning truth coming out. I really don't understand how that card got such a good reputation.

This is what I'm starting to see. I always thought of it as a more happy card, maybe because all those scenery with the happy kids in the garden, or the kid playing on a horse. All that warmth and the luminosity the card irradiates has been misleading to me in some readings. I was thinking it was pionting to friendship, happy moments together and things like that, and then... it slaps your face with unsettling news or attitudes.

Inana

The Sun can be about ego.
And childishness. Selfishness, but that kind of selfishness which arises out of innocence - thoughtlessness.

Or a simplistic, black-n-white view of life.
Or the centre - someone taking centre stage, or taking up all the space that should be shared.

This interpretation also sounds very to the point. Selfishness and childishness, acting without consideration for the others but not with premeditation. Something to think about. Thanks!

Inana

The Sun may show up in the outcome position when something has to -and will- end *for the good*, despite seemingly bad or painful events may bring the end.

Unlike the Tower, The Sun's promise is that: You will feel refreshed, happy and free at last as a result of this change. Something better is sure to come after the bad experience, and since the Sun signifies also a sincere enlightenment; rest assured, you will not be repeating the same cycle which caused the painful events! That's the freedom Sun offers.

No matter what, consider yourself lucky if you get the Sun as an outcome even if it has to shine first on the bad to clear/burn it away for the good.

I hear you and hope it will be refreshing and for the best in the future...Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

gregory

I will... I should clean not only the deck, but a lot of emotional stuff! Thanks for the suggestion.
Oops - language difference. Clear the decks in the sense of get rid of your baggage and look forward ! Burn your old boats ! :D

Inana

Oops - language difference. Clear the decks in the sense of get rid of your baggage and look forward ! Burn your old boats ! :D

Ooooops! I misread your fist post! :p Message correctly received now!