Do any of you guys listen to music when you do readings for yourself?

tmgrl2

I don't mind if there is ambient noise in the environment...but

Otherwise, no.

I, too, like to read in a quiet environment.

terri

One Armed Scissor

When meditating on a card I'll play music. DJ Shadow's really good for getting my mind calm and helping it just absorb the imags in the card. Tool is another band really good for that, too. Especially with the Thoth Tarot.

Sometimes I just put my iTunes on random and some songs just have a line that'll sum up a particular card perfectly. Nas is really good at that. System of a Down is an awesome band to meditate on the cards to. If you can manage to meditate to music that heavy and metaly there's some really insightfull lyrics.

There's a line in their song "Chop Suey" that summed up the Hanged Man as well as the connection to the next card Death, well for me anyways.
"Oh I don't think you trust in my self righteous suicide
Oh I cry, when angels deserve to die"

My favorite though, is from their song "Sugar" while I was meditating on The Fool and how he's at the beging and after the Universe.

" 'cause every time I try to go/where I really want to be/it's where I am/'cause I'm already there!!!"

MeeWah

Mostly prefer silence. An open window (& despite weather conditions) sometimes prevents silence but the sounds of life & nature their own inspiration: children playing, folks working outdoors, pinecones hitting the roof, the rain & the wind.

Almost any music works: from the classical to Gregorian chant; the alternative to hard rock/heavy metal (Queen a favourite). Just not rap.

earth mama

I've actually found that i read better when i'm listening to music i don't kinow why. I just leave on whatever i'm listening to at the time which could be anything really. Although funnily enough the best reading i've ever done for myself i had korn and marilyn manson blaring in the background. It was so clear i may as well have been reading a book. I don't even usually listen to that sort of music. Strange.

being_chrysalis

Music so powerfully influences me that I can't have it on when I'm doing a reading - it's almost like the music's viewpoint is what comes through on the reading .. haha. I like the sound of silence, of nature (like Umbrae said ;) ) and of being still.

Emeraldgirl

Sometimes yes sometimes just the music of nature as others have said. Depends on where I am reading and if anyone else is around. I used to have the sound of my ex playing computer games in the background or watching TV. Sometimes if I am in the right mood for it (or the brat next door is thrwing another temper tantrum - new record yesterday. 16 in one day) I'll put on music to drown out the background noise but otherwise I tend to prefer silence but it's not essential.

catlin

I often play music during readings e. g. Enya, Clannad, Gregorian Chants or just some good Jazz or sometimes Native American music or Pan pipe (depends on my mood).

As for my querents, I usually have either Gregorian chants or some other meditative music playing in the background because most of them find it relaxing.

Lillie

The TV is always on.

I quite like it yapping away in the background.
I suppose I've got used to it.

One Armed Scissor

TV always on in the backgrouund

lol that reminds me of someone

When I was little, there was this Bruja that lived in the same building as us. She read cards, removed hexes, did all kinds of herbal stuff. She always had the TV on in the background. No one was ever allowed to turn it of, adjust the volume, or change it to cartoons. I hated waiting in her living room, she always did all here readings in the kitchen. Everytime the signal faded and there'd be static it would remind me of the movie Poltergeist.

Lillie

What's a Bruja?

Sort of witchy fortune telling woman?
Is it a mexican word?

Sounds cool.

Anyhow, the TV is on, and as I am not the only person in the room it would be a bit unfair to demand it be shut off.
But it's OK, I don't mind it.
It sort of fills the gaps in my head.