Deviant Moon

ScorpioRegen

Has anyone got the Deviant Moon deck and the book? if so what are your thoughts on it? I was browsing yesterday and feel very attracted to it, and now contemplating buying it.

Some of the reviews on Amazon class this as a sick deck? and quite negative conotations to it? so i thought Id ask here to get a better temperature guage on this deck as I am really drawn to it.

I also had a sneak peak at the book and it looks amazing but wondered if its really neccessary to compliment the deck? or is it more around the author and his art work?

Barleywine

My take on it has always been "Tim-Burton-meets-Hieronymus-Bosch." I like it for that reason but haven't bought it yet. But it's only a matter of time. Of course, I'll probably get the book too. If you get it, go for the borderless edition.

Laura Borealis

I really like it (I also like Hieronymus Bosch) and I second the borderless edition.

A sick deck? Well, I suppose some would see it that way. The people are strange looking, some are skeletons, some have extra limbs, there's some insect-like stuff and maybe a bit of blood here and there. But you can see most of the cards online, and judge whether it's for you.

Honestly there are many decks out there that are more graphic.

The book - I have not got it yet. I probably will. Have you seen it in person? It's huge, like a textbook. The concept sketches and Patrick's stories about the art looked fascinating. I have half a mind to go to Barnes and Noble and get it right now since you reminded me of it... except I'm trying to limit my spending until I trade some decks away.

Pics I took of the book a while back. Look at that gloss texture on the cover! Full page plates of all the cards. And concept sketches. The whole book is stuffed with images. Did I mention it's huge?

Attachments

• DM book 1.jpg
    DM book 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 296
  • DM book 3.jpg
    DM book 3.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 276
  • DM book 4.jpg
    DM book 4.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 276

Scarlet Woodland

I agree, if you've looked at the images on its aeclectic page and you're drawn in rather than creeped out then don't worry how other ppl react to it :) Some of us (cough) started out finding it creepy but now adore it, even finding it cute!

The book is a magnificent thing but you definitely don't need it. You can always pick one up later if you end up a superfan :D Oh and, absolutely, go for the borderless edition.

seedcake

My take on it has always been "Tim-Burton-meets-Hieronymus-Bosch." I like it for that reason but haven't bought it yet. But it's only a matter of time. Of course, I'll probably get the book too. If you get it, go for the borderless edition.

Same with me. I want this one for a long, long time.

And well, I want to get both editions - bordered and borderless. Bordered to carry around and borderless for my own use.

Achlys

the deck is whimsical in a dark way. I wouldn't call it dick or negative. it reads beautifully.
the book is more about the making of the deck more than it is about providing more interpretations for the cards. to me it helped with gaining insight to the cards as you are able to see what inspired each card in more detail.

Barleywine

the deck is whimsical in a dark way. I wouldn't call it dick or negative. it reads beautifully.
the book is more about the making of the deck more than it is about providing more interpretations for the cards. to me it helped with gaining insight to the cards as you are able to see what inspired each card in more detail.

I'm eager to pair it in one of my two-deck spreads with the Magical Forest tarot. Weird, whimsical "moonies" on one side, and weird, whimsical bunnies on the other. I see the possibility of a real synergy there.

ScorpioRegen

I love that analogy and very much enjoy Tim Burton films. I like the quirkiness. I also had a nosey at some of the Bosch decks :)

Winterchild

Has anyone got the Deviant Moon deck and the book? if so what are your thoughts on it? I was browsing yesterday and feel very attracted to it, and now contemplating buying it.

Some of the reviews on Amazon class this as a sick deck? and quite negative conotations to it? so i thought Id ask here to get a better temperature guage on this deck as I am really drawn to it.

I also had a sneak peak at the book and it looks amazing but wondered if its really neccessary to compliment the deck? or is it more around the author and his art work?

I would never ever describe this deck as sick... it is a dream deck, a subconscious deck, it enters the shadows but it has a great sense of humour... if it were a movie it would be directed by Tim Burton and the Coen Brothers... it has a wonderful voice and imho the creator is a magician...

Ok so I love it... if you want to know more I have a video here:

https://youtu.be/i0boc5A9pnc

There is another one of an unboxing of the book on my YouTube channel too. Do you need the book? If in doubt I would see how you go with the deck, it is fairly straightforward RWS... but the books tells the story of the creation of the cards. I believe the book is valuable for anyone who cares about Tarot or art at all. If you love the deck then your world will be further enriched by the book... :)

Hope that helps...

winterchild

ScorpioRegen

I really like it (I also like Hieronymus Bosch) and I second the borderless edition.
I think ill take the advice from everyone regarding the borderless as it was a labourious task cutting down the the Druid Craft deck to make it borderless. I also read somewhere the images are bigger on the borderless ones?

A sick deck? Well, I suppose some would see it that way. The people are strange looking, some are skeletons, some have extra limbs, there's some insect-like stuff and maybe a bit of blood here and there. But you can see most of the cards online, and judge whether it's for you.
Im drawn to the images very much I dont think its sick more like Tim Burton as Barleywine pointed out, looking at the images online, I find them intriguing.

Honestly there are many decks out there that are more graphic.

The book - I have not got it yet. I probably will. Have you seen it in person? It's huge, like a textbook. The concept sketches and Patrick's stories about the art looked fascinating. I have half a mind to go to Barnes and Noble and get it right now since you reminded me of it... except I'm trying to limit my spending until I trade some decks away.
Ive not seen it in person, but one of the reviews said its a little smaller than A4size!! Thats a huge book!! I think his website said it weighs around 2lbs! Let me know if you get the book sounds interesting.

Pics I took of the book a while back. Look at that gloss texture on the cover! Full page plates of all the cards. And concept sketches. The whole book is stuffed with images. Did I mention it's huge?
oh wow thanks for putting these up the imagry looks amazing and I can see what you mean now about the size!